main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Steam Machines: Valve enters the console wars

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Darth-Lando, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Streaming from your PC would use the PC's hardware to run the game, right? I'm not all that technically minded, so I'm not sure.

And I will expect a redesigned controller or "classic" version after the beta or the inevitable complaints.

Can it even take a modern gaming-level graphics card?

2. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'd be shocked if they don't wind up on it. Valve hasn't gotten into specifics but they said they are working on bringing TV, Music, and Movies to Steam OS.

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The face buttons have atrocious placement- even worse than the first gen XB controller. Reminds me more of the Jaguar, heh.

The touchscreen seems to be saying "Hey, that whole Wii U GamePad thing is the future of gaming- let's take that idea and make it horrible!" since it basically negates the entire design evolution of second screen gaming with that overlay concept (seriously- if all you want is, in effect, a cursor control surface, why not just use a trackpad? it would lower the cost at the very least).

The haptic feedback sounds like it could have potential though, even if it'll be a very different experience. The problem will be if it will work with all genres or not (I can't see it working well for fighters, despite the programability).

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Strange looking controller indeed.

I think I'll stick to using Steam on my PC with an Xbox controller for some and the keyboard/mouse combo for others.

6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

I'm telling you, man, the whole "second screen" gaming thing is the Wii U's influence. And people still won't buy it!

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Valve released the specs for their 300 prototypes and holy ****, to say this thing stomps on the "next-gen" consoles is an understatement. Would probably be pretty expensive at retail, though.

GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
    CPU: some boxes with Intel i7-4770, some i5-4570, and some i3
    RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB GDDR5 (GPU)
    Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
    Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I was hoping for something a bit beefier to be honest. That's pretty close to what my PC has now: i5-3570K @ 3.4 GHz (4 CPUs), 16 GB RAM, AMD Radeon 7800 w/ 4GB, 1 TB HD
    I built it about a year ago with the specific intent of being more powerful than the next gen consoles. I was very pleased to be proven right. :p

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The old Wii here is showing its age. Had been looking at next gen consoles that are family friendly. Wii U has a terrible game range, and the wife isn't keen on a PS3 or Xbox One, she likes motion control for the kids (yes I know, I know... but Kinect is awful and PS play is stupid).

Thinking a Steam Machine might actually fit the bill...

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well,

1. It's only Valve's prototype. They may come out with even more powerful machines (a full SSD seems like the most obvious upgrade), or one of the other manufacturers may come out with one. I wouldn't expect much better than an i7, a Titan, and 16 gb of RAM (which would retail at close to $2,000), though.

2. You won't need the "beefy" Steam box since you can just stream from you computer.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    I would imagine there could be lag issues if you're streaming to the TV from your PC over a network.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Could be. We'll see. If there are, I'm certainly not wasting my money on the equivalent of a second gaming PC.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Quite right, I'm not going to spend money on something with the same specs as a PC I can make for less to play games on when I can play them on my PC anyway, and use Pig Picture if I want to hook it up to my TV.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm kind of excited by this, but at the same time utterly unsure. Especially regarding that controller. It would be neat to have a machine specifically for Steam gaming. My current computer could be used for everything else....like GOG games. :D

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002

Yikes. Looks like it would take some getting used to.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Did he press any of the face buttons in that video?

17. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    It sure didn't look like it? Intriguing.

18. nstinson2004

nstinson2004 Jedi Master

Oct 14, 2004
    Demo of the new steam controller:

-- Tapatalk. Now free

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Timely,

Ender Sai likes this.
  20. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/ces-a-roundup-of-valves-first-steam-machines

Well, we had 13 Steam Machines announced yesterday at CES, with a pretty large variation of specs and prices. Personally, I think Valve is going about this completely wrong. Who is the target audience? PC users will either already have a good gaming rig or it'll be cheaper to simply upgrade their existing PC and it can play more games and do countless other things.

So this is aimed at console users? IMO, the best thing about the PS4, the One and the Wii U is the simplicity and the optimization. You know with these consoles that you can buy a game and put it in and it'll most likely work just fine. No need to mess around with graphics sliders. You don't even need to know what anti-aliasing means. Having 13 different options completely undermines what makes a console a console.

Is this the next Ouya?

21. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I wouldn't go that far. I think console users are definitely the target market, but as to the 13 different price points, yeah, it's hard to see why someone wouldn't just upgrade what they have. I could partition my hard drive, add some extra RAM, and play most PC games just fine. The cheapest Steam Machine is a sixth of what I paid for my desktop and isn't wildly different from it.

I think it'll appeal to the folks who don't want to build their own PC or would rather have something that runs out of the box with minimal set-up and optimization. Of course, aren't their stores and websites that will build you a PC to spec/help you choose what you want in your PC?

22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    I had mine custom-built from a site and it has worked well (once it got set up properly, I had to send it back twice because it didn't work). But making a top-end one now could be quite expensive so if Steam will produce something that has top-end PC specs that doesn't cost me as much and still play all my games I might consider getting it and just using the PC for other stuff.

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol, and whose fault is that? :p

24. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Mine? I'm pretty happy with the machine I have :p

25. TrandoJedi

May 4, 2011
    I'm sorry for your loss! :D