main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Are you afraid of death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Condition2SQ, Sep 28, 2012.

?

Are you afraid of death?

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No

72 vote(s)
    69.2%
  1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There's not much to death. But it's just common sense to be anxious about dying. Most people can look forward to dying alone, or in pain, or both.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I still don't really get what people mean when they say "Dying alone." Are we pining for the days when kings used to have their wives slain to accompany them into the afterlife, or. . .?

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    "having friends and family around you at or near the moment of death." My good friend who died of pancreatic cancer did indeed die a magnificent kingly death with his wife and all his children and grandchildren gathered around him, sitting next to him on his bed, talking to him and touching him and urging him on. It's a great way to go, but not everyone gets that.

The result of living a long life is that particularly if you're a woman you'll likely outlive your spouse if you had one. Eventually you may be packed off to a nursing home where you can die quietly, out of sight.

4. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Like I said, naive blather..

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

5. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    stupid comment. I'm old enough that I've seen one generation of my family die off entirely and am in the process of going through the deaths of everyone from my parents' generation. My father-in-law is the last surviving member of his generation of family, and if you don't think the experience of many seniors at the end of life is to a large extent loneliness and pain, then you don't know much.

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    You just said there isn't much to death. You put your ignorance on display and you didn't learn much from your experience. And your lack of emotion and empathy is either trolling or is concerning.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Your comment is both judgmental and foolish. Death is a non event. Dying is hard. I was drawing a distinction between being dead and the process of dying.

8. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    "Nobody minds being dead. Being dead is great. It's getting dead that sucks." - George Carlin

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    A few weeks ago I listened to a story on NPR about children and cancer:

I weep easily, as it is, but this really put me over the edge.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, it got dusty in here quickly.

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    dude, we get it. you're not a big fan of people dying. i'm pretty sure nobody here is. but unfortunately you can't tell people what they should feel and how to deal with it.

12. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'm more afraid of being old and unable to do things than of death. I hold the opinion that I'll probably commit suicide at some point in my old age if given the opportunity. I'd rather face my death than it be forced upon me.

darth fluffy likes this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    One thing I think that can really ease our fear of death as we age is dementia.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah but that would be painful for friends and loved ones who are witnessing it.

JediTerminator and Juliet316 like this.
  15. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    It would be harder for me to see a person die next to me than to face my own death.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Other Jaba: I guess I feel like you are talking about two separate things. Loneliness and social isolation is indeed a huge problem among the elderly. But it's a problem among all of them, the hale and sickly alike. I don't see the special concern with "dying" alone, in light of that.

17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Sarge likes this.
  18. JediTerminator

JediTerminator Jedi Master star 5

Aug 23, 2004
    Do you know why music at funerals is so depressing? The corpse is decomposing. :p

07jonesj and Sarge like this.
  19. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Actually I am afraid of death because...I don't wanna go!

[​IMG]

Force Smuggler and Juliet316 like this.
  20. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Mark Twain said it best, I believe:

“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”

I fear the process of dying or being alone far more than I do being dead.

21. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I believe in Solipsism.

Row row, row your boat, life is but a dream.

22. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Of course we are. Haven't you read the latest clauses in Obamacare??? :eek:

Sarge likes this.
  23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    this quote only applies once someone is actually dead. obviously no one will care then. but there is certainly a difference in the concept of death prior to and after having lived.

24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'd agree that dying lonely and in social isolation is a subset of loneliness and social isolation. But that doesn't change the fact that the process of dying is a major life event in which it's probably better not to be socially isolated, but nevertheless the consequences of longevity, and also in the U.S. in particular geographic mobility and the elderly living far away from their children make social isolation at the time of death a special problem, one which many of us are going to experience at the end.

When I was a child my neighbor friend's grandfather, a widowed word war 1 vet, lived in the house with my friend's family. He sat in a Lazy Boy every day and read the newspaper and spit chewing tobacco into a can on the floor next to his chair. He died in the chair, watching the evening news with his son and daughter in law. This is what I'd call an acceptable death. Minus the chewing tobacco.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That's kind of on its way out now, though. Once the elderly generation dies off, they'll be replaced by more computer savvy elderly people. By the time we reach that age, I don't think social isolation will exist anymore.

I know what you're saying, though.... people don't die at home anymore. We've done so much to ensure that death gets prolonged that we've removed all the humanity from it. Now people die in sterile rooms surrounded by machinery instead of loved ones.