main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney, Star Wars and the "Industry".

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ganger, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    He was self-proclaimed king of Star Wars for decades. It takes time to get used to the idea that he isn't as important as he was. Doesn't mean that posters don't understand his now diminished role.

You are fooling nobody.

Pfluegermeister and Heero_Yuy like this.
  2. Jedi Comedian

Jedi Comedian Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2012
    You're right, I'm not. Why should I deny it any more?

Oh Georgie, why did you have to leave? Was it the criticism? Was it the declining toy sales? Was it me secretly clipping parts of your beard off to keep under my pillow?

Ignore the others. Our love is pure. Make me benevolent dictator of your planet and I will fight your battles against the internet for you. You're only a humble billionaire businessman and creator of two of the biggest film franchises of all time - don't you realise you need a 26-year-old office worker to defend your reputation? People say mean things about you! How can you sleep at night, in your California mansion with your new wife and your children, with people criticising your films?

Come back George. Hold me, like you did by the lake on Skywalker Ranch, when there was nothing but our love. I just can't bear it without you.

:_|

3. niel6658

niel6658 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2013
    I was surprised but happy when Disney bought Lucasfilm, because I really want to see new SW adventures on the big screen.

My only hope is that Disney/Lucasfilm keep the unique feel of the SW universe alive. A Star Wars movie without the Empire, the Imperial March, light sabres and Force users would be like a Star Trek movie without the Federation, Star Fleet, space and space ships!

4. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    The Star Wars universe is virtually infinite and largely untapped, I see no reason why Disney can't release movies every 2 to 3 years as long as the public keeps paying money to see them. As long as the stories are well written, with compelling characters and themes, while maintaining the feel of the Star Wars universe, I for one will keep paying to see them.

I actually think this is the way Lucas originally intended SW to be, but he wanted to do other things and never kept up with producing new movies. I doubt it was his concern about saturating the market or keeping the movie releases "rare" or a "cultural event." Lucas has stated several times that the Flash Gordon serials were a big inspiration for Star Wars.

I think it is a very exciting time to be a SW fan. I'm anxious to see what the new creative teams do for advancing the SW mythos. I'm sure some fans will love them and some hate them. That's the way it always is.

KevinM1 likes this.
  5. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The most honest thing I've seen you post on this forum.

But yeah. It's a FACT that the most vocal objectors to the Puchase and ST have been PT/Saga fans and Lucas apologists. They're just upset that they invested so much into Lucas' "vision," and it has been revealed to be a lie. I'd be butthurt too if I were them.

6. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Yes, exactly. It's a FACT. You can tell that it's true because it's written in CAPITAL LETTERS. Like CREATIONISM. And THE MOON LANDING BEING FAKED. Only the truth can be written in capital letters.

You're absolutely right. Everything I invested in Star Wars is now gone. The happy memories I have of watching the films have disappeared. Chewbacca was Luke's father, right? I just can't tell any more. And Han Solo talked backwards? It's a blur.

All my Star Wars DVDs have melted. All my books have had the ink run out of them. All my games are unplayable.

(Of course, I don't know what I saw in any of those things in the first place. All of them tarnished by the filthy metaphorical hands of people who aren't George Lucas.)

I may need help with this whole butthurt thing though. I mean, for one thing, George Lucas has said that he wants Disney to make more films. So, I should support them, right? But then, he said before that he'd only make six films. So, I should be ... angry at them? They must be putting a gun to his head!

But then, maybe that was a false prophecy, like when he said he'd make 12 films. That obviously was something he never actually said, and he meant six. No wait, he didn't, he meant nine! George Lucas always said there'd be nine "episodes" and infinite spin-offs! Oceania was always at war with Eastasia!

It's so confusing. It's almost like my previous lie of a life, where I saw myself as an independent person judging works of art on their own merits, was simpler. Accepting the truth, taking my proper, rightful place in the childish back and forth of the qualities of a man who tells stories for a living, has made knowing what I actually think so much more complicated.

I need to know what my opinions are! Please tell me!

TKT likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Haha, this is getting more and more silly. But I must say, it does have some entertainment value. A Jedi comedian indeed.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  8. Jedi Comedian

Oct 27, 2012
    Thank you. Coming from you, that means a lot to me. :p

Want a serious response? OK. I don't see the need for any more Star Wars films. Regardless of whether they're made by George Lucas, JJ Abrams or whatever hot young director Disney line up next. Not because I'm slavishly loyal to Lucas personally, but because I'm struggling to imagine any films living up to the high standard of the Original Trilogy in my mind.

But what do I know, right? I'm just a mindless Lucas apologist.

9. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    It's complicated though isn't it? I mean on one hand I would have been perfectly fine if they had never made another Star Wars movie ever again, and yet my initial gut reaction to the news that Disney had bought Star Wars and that Episode 7 was finally being made was more or less "HOLY **** I CAN'T WAIT!!!"

The magic words being of course... "as long as it's good".

Do I want another Star Wars movie? Sure, as long as it's good. Right now none of us know if it's gonna be any good. All we can do is speculate and discuss. I'm sure no one was clamoring for a Terminator sequel either but I bet you everyone is glad they got one. You know why? Cause it was good.

I do however fear for the future of Star Wars if Episode 7 turns out to be another huge let down. I'm not sure if the Star Wars name has room for any more let downs. I know the original trilogy isn't going anywhere anytime soon but you do have to worry about preserving your legacy at some point or another. Look at what happened to Star Trek. The words "Star Trek" don't command nearly as much respect and as adoration as it once did. It's not impossible to think the same thing can't happen to Star Wars, especially when there are other franchises out there making strong runs of their own.

MODified: Gotta **** out the entire word.

Jedi Comedian likes this.
  10. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

My initial reaction upon hearing of the Disney purchase and a new trilogy was:

"HOLY **** I CAN'T WAIT!!!" - on the trilogy
    "I have a bad feeling about this" - on the Disney purchase

What made me feel 10x better was Kathleen Kennedy being instated as the head of Lucasfilm. That woman is beyond capable. And with each passing bit of news in regards to VII, the likely inclusion of the big 3, Lucas doing the treatment, Michael Arndt's involvement, Kasdan, JJ, I felt so great about...the new trilogy.

I am still not sold on Disney's 2-3 year model, still not sold on spin offs, and don't care much about the EU. I do hate that Star Wars 1313 was scrapped (or postponed).

So as it stands I am stoked about the next trilogy in the Star Wars world. The rest isn't even on my radar much and I am far from sold regarding the future of Star Wars as an overall franchise. But you know what? I am perfectly fine with that. As long as the next trilogy is enjoyable for me as a fan, Disney can do anything they want and I'll be happy. All I care about is 7-9 being smashing. I've never cared much about the overall SW franchise. I've always cared almost exclusively about the major feature films in the trilogy. The rest if peripheral fluff, good or bad.

Darth Raiden and Mystery Roach like this.
  11. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Interesting choice of words...

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Not to derail the convo too far, but has anyone seen the latest Disney magic (I guess) commercial?

I saw it for the first time last night and it's funny as hell. A guy is in the hardware store and he puts on a black welding helmet. Then he picks up a long fluorescent lightbulb and tells his kids "I am you father." It was an ad for Disney parks, so they're starting to incorporate SW into their overall brand.

2014 is the year of SW indeed.

13. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    What I'm most worried about is the age demographic. Will it be focused on more like TPM kind of violence, or will it be the ROTS kind? Rest assured, if it goes to back to being like TPM, with a bunch cartoons running around, the franchise will lose the older crowd for good.

KevinM1 and Heero_Yuy like this.
  14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    How about ANH kind of violence? Not too bouncy-trouncy fun fun fun; not too charred head bursting into flames.

15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I know Disney. They're soft on violence, especially when it concerns bloodworks. One of the best things that happened in POTC was Captain Barbossa taking one in the chest, and what do they do, they bring his ass back from the dead.

I hope I'm wrong, though.

16. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    ^^^^This is my 2nd biggest fear I have for the ST

My 1st is that they will tear away at the accomplishments our heroes finally won in ROTJ.....because they want to make a new Trilogy.
    I was perfectly fine letting the saga rest at six.....and probably will never be as pumped to see the ST as much as I was to see all the PT movies culminating in Obi-Wan taking apart Anakin/Vader.

Just because you want to make a new trilogy dont poo poo what our heroes fought for and won over the course of six movies. The ST needs to convey to the audience that there was a prolonged level of peace and tranquility and it was worth fighting for. When the new threat rises to plunge the galaxy back into chaos, we should feel some serious grief for whats about to happen to that peaceful time.

Im not opposed to a ST, but like others have said....make the reason for it good and worthwhile. So Disney, Go Big or Go Home

Now back to my second biggest fear....which was brought up by DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR.....Pulling punches in the violence department/Not going too dark. As much as I have enjoyed most of the MCU, that has been a growing concern of mine since Avengers.....The formula has gotten more and more about joke making and a light hearted good time where the hero always comes out on top with few civilian casualties. Now Age of Ultron is supposed to be their ESB, but we'll see.....I surely hope it is because I can see the formula getting stale for me if they do that all the way through.

Say what you will about GL, but he didnt back away from what he knew had to be dark imagery in ROTS.

17. Jedi Dragon D

Jedi Dragon D Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
  18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

MODified: Broke ye olde hotlink.

Krueger likes this.
  19. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm so, so over the idea that a film needs to be "dark" to be better. To this day, despite ROTJ being my personal favorite, I think the best Star Wars film is still the original, the only one that stands firmly on it's own without the need for any sequels or prequels. It's the ultimate space-fantasy, and isn't remotely approaching "dark".

I don't need to see any kind of pg-13 violence in Star Wars. I need to see a strong story, interesting characters, and some magic. If a film is dark because the story demands it, yes, well, fine, and great. But the last thing I need to see is another dark film because people who grew up on the OT (such as myself) now need films that reflect their adulthood and deepening cynicism.

Star Wars should not grow up with us. It should always remain family friendly, with something like ROTS being about as dark as it gets for this franchise. There are plenty of dark films out in the world to satiate that appetite.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe not dark- but occasionally a little grim. Close-up of Poda Baba's severed, bleeding arm, in the cantina. Owen & Beru's charred skeletons.

Immortiss, jaqen and Pfluegermeister like this.
  21. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    No Im not saying it needs a full on conversion either.....but I feel it needs its ROTS...ESB type chapters to make the story more effective

The title does read Star Wars.

22. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012

Agreed. Those worked well because they made the danger seem real. Real people died, got hurt, etc. It makes the adventure itself more harrowing and rewarding. A dose of reality to keep the fantasy grounded just enough so we're invested.

I'm very excited for the new era of Star Wars because the Marvel model, to date, has shown that it works. People want to follow their favorite characters every year, with a big, fun, epic crossover ever 3-5 years. If the quality is there (and do you really think that Disney won't try to bring the best possible people on for the job?), then there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

If everything goes right, it will be the golden era for the franchise. If it doesn't? Well, like others have said, nothing can tarnish the OT. And everyone has their favorite pieces of other media to fondly remember as well. There's really no risk for the fans.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That's a great way to put it. But I think it has to be noted that every single one of the Star Wars films are, at the very least, "grim".

Even TPM, which gets most of the flack for being too juvenile, features the father figure jedi being impaled by a demonic looking sith, before said sith is sawed in two. Not to mention the fact that each prequel ends with a sense of foreboding, each end on very down notes, with evil winning out. TPM is actually quite chilling when you consider what's happening beneath the bright, distracting exterior. All our heroes are essentially celebrating the forward movement of pure evil, with each playing their own unwitting part in helping evil advance upon the galaxy.

Complaints about future Star Wars films needing to copy Empire or Sith to be effective suggest that the other four chapters aren't, as you say it, "grim" at the very least.

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    ANH is actually pretty dark. I don't know why people call it fluffy and lighthearted. Some scenes on the death star are lighthearted, but that is balanced with charred skeletons, destroyed planets, cold blooded murder, murderous space battles and so on. I can hardly think of another space battles in which the good guys are decimated so mercilessly by the villain.

TKT likes this.
  25. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    yes but
    2sec shot of charred skeletons shot from 30 ft away is very different than a close up of anakin's charred face bursting into flames.

Im fine with the implied violence of a shot of a bloody arm lying on the ground. Im not fine with watching someone beat to death in Taratino-ian detail.
    Im fine with Han solo shooting a laser beam at greedo leaving a smoking hole in his torso. Im not fine watching Han Solo repeatedly curb-stomp greedo as he screems in agony.

There is an apropriate level of violence for "Star Wars". And that level is decidedly 'lighter'

Mystery Roach and jaqen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.