main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Homosexuality: the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by zombie, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I only personally know five committed homosexual couples who are currently raising their own children. The oldest couples has a child in college. She's going to an ivy league school, so it's easy to see the harm that she has had to endure being raised by two fathers. The middle two couples have kids in high school and middle school. The youngest couples have children the same age as my youngest son. I'm not sure what kind of harm is supposed to materialize when and if these couples begin to marry as Illinois begins recognizing same sex marriages in the state, but one that certainly has not happened is a break between marriage and the task of creating and raising children successfully in a secure and stable home environment.

This Frank guy seems to be ignorant of the world. All I have to go on is anecdotal observations from my own community, but there's also 30 years of research on the subject. I don't think he's making even a remotely convincing case that the health of society and "even of" homosexuals is dependent on rejection of same sex marriage. Certainly the health of children growing up in two parent regardless of parent gender doesn't seem to be at stake here.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I know several committed same-sex couples as well, some with children.

And the fact that this guy thinks that committed same-sex couples are a threat to the immune systems of the rest of us, means he's way too stupid to take seriously.

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    He appears to be using it as a metaphor, not the actual immune systems. That said, if his stance is that marriage is a necessary thing for the good of society, as he says "When our marriages are strong, our civilization is strong; when they are weak, individuals and communities suffer," I don't get why he's promoting a stance whereby marriage is restricted so there will be a larger number of couples that would choose to be married but cannot, increasing the number that cohabit without a marriage involved. That seems to weaken thigns far more.

Ghost and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  4. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I would just like to say that this Frank Turek is not me and he does not represent my views. And he is giving Frank T.s a bad name. And I wish he would stop.

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Merging is being kind, Merk. This is basically just a video link with description.
    Moviefan2k4, what was your reason for posting this?

6. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I have a focused interest in Christian apologetics, and posting videos I like allows me to share the same things I ordinarily would, in far less time.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, but you didn't actually say anything.

8. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I skimmed the PDF summary of that video, and I want to comment on the part about how gay marriage will affect them. One of the central points of that section is that gay marriage will cause increased taxes and reduction of your own workplace benefits.

How will gay marriage increase insurance premiums and taxes? If a man and a woman get married, they'll still get the benefits, won't they? So you would have no objection to a man and woman getting married on that basis? But if two men get married, suddenly the benefits they receive will be extra and will affect you in ways that a man and woman getting married won't?

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Don't waste time... I already responded to it a few days ago, here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...r-a-left-winger.50017188/page-3#post-51224764

And got no meaningful response.

10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    The thing is that "marriage" stopped being solely a religious covenant over a century ago and that is why the institution of marriage has endured. The institution of marriage is now flexible - it can be purely secular and completely divorced from its religious roots or it can be celebrated as a religious covenant with god. It's funny that you don't tend to see religious types advocating the abolition of non-religious (civil) marriage ceremonies, even though such ceremonies would presumably be just as invalid in the eyes of the faithful if they do not involve any covenant with god.

I would encourage all religious types to just consider same sex marriage as another kind of non-religious secular marriage which does not involve any kind of covenant with god. That way you are safe because you will never have to perform a religious same sex marriage and so you will never have to be immersed in sin, you can just roll your eyes at all of those married couples who, in your mind, have missed the point about what marriage is supposed to be about.

11. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I believe in the words of the Great Willy Nelson. He was asked by a reporter about his views on Gay Marriage. This after ending his own marriage. His response, "Gay people should be as miserable as the rest of us."
    Of course he also said divorce is worth every penny.
    That's my view.

12. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    I agree completely. This Frank guy seems to suffer from the delusion that marriage is somehow culturally linked to raising children and this is some kind of religious imperative. It's laughable that a large percentage of religious people who lobby against recognising same sex marriage are single and celibate. If same sex couples are sinning because of the lack of procreation then surely so are single celibate christians?

At the end of the day, if marriage was truly necessary for promoting the best environment for children then marriage would only be available to those couples who actually have children. If there was any sincerity to these ludicrous claims, then really a couple should only get married after they have a child, that should be the religious prerequisite for marriage. If you don't intend to have children or can't have children, then marriage is completely superfluous and irrelevant and should be denied to you.

The fact that you can get married without children is clearly some kind of bizarre loophole in need of closing if the entire point of marriage is to raise children. Therefore I will stand with the anti-same sex marriage crowd and attend rallies and protests and lobby against same sex marriage laws so long as we also lobby for a change to the marriage laws requiring conception and birth before a marriage license can be issued. Clearly, divorce will be automatic upon the children gaining their majority or leaving home.

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Good loving gay parent......[face_thinking]

[​IMG]

14. LostOnHoth

Feb 15, 2000
    There are atrocious parents on both sides. There was a news story recently of a same sex couple who adopted a child for the purposes of using him for child sex exploitation. It's not really relevant to the discussion though because if marriage was restricted only to "good" parents then there would be significantly fewer marriages.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    sounds like satire to me, dawg

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah... I definitely detect sarcasm. and satire.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No dude, its tumblr - where the dregs of society hang out.

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    also people who like to make jokes

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    You guys clearly don't know how **** up tumblr is.

You're lucky!

[​IMG]

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    actually i post on a forum where this style of posting is very common. you're getting all riled up about people who are essentially trolling you in order to make a point

also that outfit and mug are awesome. did you think they would be offensive to me?

V-2 likes this.
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Sigh. Theres a massive difference between trolling and sincere craziness. You seem unable to detect it.

If it doesn't, you're a huge part of the problem.
    Imagine if it was the other way around?

22. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    then it might potentially be harmful

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
  24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    It's kinda like when people read the Onion

25. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Are we all trolling each other now?

26. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I think so.

Interesting news about Fed. government recognizing the 1,300 same sex marriages performed in Utah before the Supreme Court stepped in. It would be difficult to live in a state I imagine where gay marriages are both recognized and not recognized.