main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Most people don't even know these "unofficial" trilogies are even trilogies.

And no love for the Cornetto Trilogy? *gasp*

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    And this thread has officially been derailed

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I saw the film at the end of year. Didn't think it was particularly good. Evangeline Lily was awful. Lee Pace was terrific.

There, back on topic.

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Will it get Oscar recognition?

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    There is a lot of arguing in this thread, because people who can think are rightly put off by children saying insipid things with the confidence of someone much wiser. "I can't decide if the Hobbit or prequels are the third best trilogy in the history of ever" is a remark so offensive, so stupid that I'm half tempted to track parents down and berate them for an hour for their categorical failings in that department.

6. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    If my memory serves, LOTR didn't get much Oscar recognition until its final chapter, with a clean sweep in all its nominated categories for ROTK, as though the Academy was waiting to see the whole trilogy before pronouncing themselves. If the tendency holds, we'll have to wait yet another year for a good award season for The Hobbit, beyond the traditional technical categories such as make-up/hairstyling, costuming, special effects, music or mayhap original song. And like LOTR, it's pretty hard to nail down any performance as noteworthy in such an ensemble piece, and indeed I think the Academy should at least consider adding a "best ensemble cast" category to avoid such slights in the future.

Lauré :)

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    all three of the of the lotr films were nominated for best picture. none of the hobbit films will be because they just aren't on the same level.

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I cannot see the Academy recognising an ensemble cast category; nor am I sure they should.

9. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I would rather say that LOTR was groundbreaking in its own way, firmly putting the Sci-Fi/Fantasy films in the A-Movie tier, finaly earning the genre a much-needed recognition. However, since then, we have seen may movies of the same genre, and done with high-end special effects, so that the "novelty" feeling we had with LOTR has faded significantly over only a decade, and so now the Hobbit trilogy is facing much stiffer competition from its own field (to wit, the slew of comic-book movies we have had the last few years, or the likes of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise), as well as more "traditional" Oscar fare such as contemporary dramas, biopics and period pieces. As an example, let me just cite the historic win of Kathryn Bigelow who triumphed over James "Avatar" Cameron just a few years ago. Therefore, I don't think that the Hobbit films "aren't on the same level" as LOTR, but rather that the industry has raised its own standards for the genre (a fact reflected by some critiques of AUJ and TDOS), and, accordingly, the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre has now become merely an option among many when the time comes to make nominations.

Also, the nomination process works in strange and mysterious ways, with "For Your Consideration" campaigns led by the studios and producers organised to promote this or that film, for reasons both internal (studio politics...) and external (social climate, economics...). Maybe the Hobbit films haven't been put forward as actively as others in the last two years, and the Powers that Be are reserving their big cannons to honour TABA's explosive finale? There are so many things we don't know, and it's difficult to affirm categorically that it's solely a question of movie quality.

10. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Yes, the last movie will win 12 Oscars, beating ROTK by 1 Oscar :p

11. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    also, they really suck (so far)

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    duende hasn't got opinions; he's got factual observations. OF TRUTH.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Why?

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    That is in itself an opinion.
    And it my opinion, its dead wrong!

And other's are even more rightly put off by aging antediluvians think their opinions trump all others because reasons. Saying "In The Mood For Love is a good movie and should be in your top ten trilogy list" is a remark so offensive, so stupid that I'm half tempted to track the original prints down and destroy every copy to save the world from more pretentious humans claiming that it is in any way worth watching.

See how that works?

Darkslayer and Sarge like this.
  17. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    if you try to take my DVD copy i will shoot you in the face. you have been warned.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Good luck..

Darkslayer likes this.
  19. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    It really sounds as if you're focusing upon special effects and window dressing, rather than story or character development. Avatar was a completely forgettable movie for those reasons. LOR was a good trilogy and certainly beautiful, but it shows how poor the genre can be with regard to numerous elements and still succeed with people like us who are huge fans of fantasy and scifi.

I'm glad they made the movies, but Library of Congress material they are not, and Desolation of Smaug proved that all the more. saying it its ***** is a little too strong, but they certainly ran it into the ground.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    I greatly disagree that The Hurt Locker was a better film than Avatar.

Avatar may have been a bug budget blockbuster with a well used storyline (but so was ANH when it first came out!), but it is far far more entertaining and enjoyable than The Hurt Locker, which was nothing more than Oscar bait with a side order of propaganda. (which was doubled in her next insipid film)

Sarge likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The best film of 2009 was obviously Terminator Salvation.

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Greatest movie ever made hands down :p

JK

23. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    [face_rofl]

24. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Not quite. But, arguably, the point could be made that good special effects and "window dressing" (as it were) can help make a world believable enough so that the audience's suspension of disbelief would not be derailed by subpar material, therefore allowing the story or character development to take center stage in the spectators' attention. Granted, taking into account the quality of the effects nowadays, it is rather easy to go overboard into the merely spectacular. But I truly believe that, in movies like The Hobbit, the story and characters are well-developped enough, though admittedly PJ could rein himself in at times on the action. Smaug is utterly chilling, and the foreshadowing of Thorin's descent into madness quite revealing of his character, especially in the moment when he holds Bilbo at swordpoint.

Sarge and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Plan 9 From Outer Space is a better film than Avatar.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.