main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by newdawn12, Jan 7, 2014.

1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    If this means the finished animated episodes are going to be sat on by Disney / LFL for eternity, rather than shown, it really sucks. They're going to be getting their hate mail delivered in sacks..

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That, and I don't like the focus on Maul.

4. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    That sounds cool I guess. However I'm not sure what to make of it since it doesn't seem like the people who wrote the show will be writing the comics.

5. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Read the article carefully, it's the end of the maul story from TCW, I'm thinking that once the bonus content is out, we'll see seasons 7 to 8,
    as comics from Marvel, and maybe books from Del Rey, or Disney books.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I just looked at the bonus content thread. My bad. I feel a little better about it now, but I still think Valk is right.

If there are episodes out there already animated, there is no reason for Disney/LFL to sit on them.

7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I betcha 1000 Quatlos that this wasn't animated or even if it was probably not close to even being finished, so they did the comic. Which is cool because apparently they had The Clone Wars written out towards S8 (but apparently only animated so far down the line till S6 ie. Bonus Content). Baring Lucasfilm suddenly deciding to change their minds, if they have all of those scripts sitting around, I'd love to see them adapted to comic form so we can get those stories (moreso than novels because a comic I believe would be the closest to emulating the style of the series)

V-2 likes this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Love it. I remember when news of the end of TCW first hit, we speculated that something like this may wind up happening. Surely, having every remaining TCW story fully animated and delivered in the manner we've grown accustomed would have been ideal, but we're still getting the promised "bonus content" episodes, and now, we'll even be seeing this story, which otherwise may have been cast aside completely.

I think it's interesting that this story is described as what would have been TCW series' final arc. I guess the plan was for Maul to really stick around for awhile in the show, though given the larger context of the greater Clone War, I don't necessarily agree with the idea of narrowing the focus of the show's final arc down to the story of a singular character the likes of Maul.

But yeah, I'm glad we'll be getting the story in some form. Extra bonus points if this delivers on the final final death of Maul. Yes, I think I'd have preferred seeing Maul cut down once and for all in a Ben Kenobi stand-alone, but if it means keeping 'the thing that wouldn't die' from any chance of somehow ridiculously appearing in the ST, well, heck, I'm in favor of it just on those grounds alone.

Now just give us that 'death of Ahsoka' comic, and I'll be a happy fan. *evil cackle*

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Actually, according to LFL employees, Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir wasn't meant to be TCW's final arc, just Maul's finale. Proof here: http://clubjade.net/?p=56793

So there you have it. It's likely that the four-part Maul finale arc would have been slated for Season 7 or 8 had the show not been cancelled.

Bringing this quote here since it's relevant:
    Eh, I think it was worth it if the comic plans on dealing with both Maul and Talzin's fate in one fell swoop. It would work thematically to close off the Dathomir storyline neatly, once and for all. Plus, Lucas himself was said to have had "big plans" for Maul after deciding to bring him back, and he didn't want him killed off (again) so soon. In this case I am in agreement with Trebor that at the very least, they plan on resolving his fate in some manner, even if it can't be onscreen (a shame, but Dark Horse's comics rarely disappoint, so I'm okay with this), so Maul won't be a loose end that randomly shows up in the Imperial or even post-Imperial era. It's better than letting Disney and LFL discard the episode drafts such that the story never sees the light of day.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Well yeah, I prefer having the comics deal with Maul's (and Talzin's) fates to the chance of having them reappear in later stories because their fates had been left open by TCW. I don't want them popping up later either. I'm just saying that even better than the comics having to handle that job would have been if the Lawless episode had taken care of Maul once and for all then when it was an obvious opportunity.

12. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    Well, I was responding to the article quoted in the OP, which, to be fair explicitly (if incorrectly) states that it was to be the series' final arc.

I later read in another thread that this wasn't accurate information, but only after the 30 min edit window had already closed. To be honest, I fully expected for someone to jump on that part of my post, but I didn't think it would have been you.

Anyway, simply delete the middle passage from my post (which was really only a side note, anyway), and my main points remain:

1. I think it's great we'll be getting to experience the story at all, rather than it sitting in somebody's drawer at Lucasfilm.

2. It'll be a nice chunk of the saga for the comics to start off on the right foot with, under the new 'one canon' credo.

3. And good God, please let this be the absolute and final end for Maul, moving ahead in the timeline.

13. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    What if it ends with him being frozen in carbonite?

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Even if that was how the arc ended, they could always go with a cheapshot reversal later on and say something like "Carbonite Maul was stored aboard the Executor and was still on board when it augered into the DS2" thus no Maul in VII.

darklordoftech likes this.
  16. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

What if the ST plot is basically the plot of Dark Empire - but instead of a bunch of Palpatine clones, it's just Darth Maul's body thawed out from carbonite that takes in Palpatine's spirit??? :p

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Star Wars is stupid sometimes.

18. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Now that would be kinda radical and even possibly cool. Maulpatine.

Or it would be an abomination worse than Jar-Jar, and the ruination of SW. I'm not decided on which.

19. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd probably have a stroke.

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Star Wars is usually drunk 50% of the time :p

21. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    They're giving us a canon wrap-up for Maul and not just letting the plot thread dangle in limbo for months/years/eternity as they move on to other things. How can this *not* be good thing? I just hope we get one of DH's top-quality artists to do the comic and not the awful second-stringers TCW's comics kept picking.

22. Atantiabo

Atantiabo Jedi Knight

Dec 7, 2012
    So they decided to leave the fate of TCW unfinished yarns for others to interpret in other medium forms. I was hoping that some day they will continue the series post Rebels or whatnot or making them into a bunch of telemovies to tie up all the loose knots.

cwustudent likes this.
  23. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I'll give it a chance as long as they have no inappropriate Ahsoka fanservice

...I just rejected it out right didn't I?

24. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    I'm glad he'll be dealt with. I did not like the idea of him surviving beyond EP III (though I guess I can't say that's what'll happen or not happen just yet).

This will also likely be one of the last bits about TCW we get, since it's set to have a final issue out by August, just before Rebels begins. Chances are that we'd have seen all or most of the bonus content by then (I hope).

While this may not be the finale, one may as well view it as such. It will wrap up nearly every loose plot thread just in time for the beginning of rebels.

Mia Mesharad and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  25. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    :p That was good.