main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Your top 5 Collecting Wishes

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, Jan 5, 2014.

1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    What are the top 5 things that you would like to see produced in the world of Star Wars Collecting? This can either mean something specific or new lines of collectibles. Also included in this, if you could influence the changes in any current collectibles lines, what would they be?

2. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Here are my top 6 wants (sorry I couldn't cut it down to 5 - I actually have more than 6...). Note that I understand many/most of these will probably never be released, but one can always hope ;) :

1) Tonnika Sisters 3 3/4 two-pack: I'm 99% sure these will never be released due to likeness issues involving the actresses. However, any cantina diorama will be incomplete without the Tonnikas.

2) Jabba's Palace Throneroom & Rancor Pit: A dual-playset like this would be huge, expensive, and highly unlikely - but, this is definitely something I would like to see; and, I'm sure it can be done. It would be great if these could somewhow connect together so that so that characters can drop through the trap door from the throne room into the pit (like in ROTJ).

3) Massive Death Star Playset: Like the above, highly unlikely, but would be cool to see. I envision a modular DS playset with different rooms/levels, i.e. the cell block area where Leia was held, the trash compactor, the swing over the chasm, the area where Ben & Vader fought, various hallways, etc.

4) Cantina playset from ANH: I can easily see this being the least expensive of my proposed three playsets; it would only be one floor, and have all of the nooks/crannies/alcoves from the Cantina, as well as the large bar area. There are floorplans out there for this, so I'm sure something very accurate could be created.

5) 12" (1/6 scale) Lobot: I think Sideshow could make a great Lobot figure, one of the most underrated characters in the OT. However, due to the obscurity of the character, I doubt this will ever happen.

6) 1/6 scale Hoth Rebel Trooper (generic): The Hoth scene was one of my favorites in the OT, and I would really like to see a Hoth Trooper from ESB. They made 3 Rebel Commandos from ROTJ, so they can make at least 1 (or 2, or 3) Hoth Troopers...

3. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Double-post.

4. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Here are mine:

#1 Star Wars Micro Machines brought back- These are probably my favorite Star Wars toys ever. I would love to see Hasbro give these another go. Imagine all the cool playsets we could get from ROTS, AOTC, and the Clone Wars as well as redone sets from the other films that Micro Machines already covered.

#2 A direct to collector online line- I'm thinking something similar to how Mattycollector does MOTUC or the G.I. Joe Collector's Club does the G.I. Joe FSS. Figures designed with collectors in mind, no worries about retailer complaints and pegwarming, and a guaranteed and consitent way for fans to get figures they want.

#3 I want the Tonnika Sisters, too! It's crazy that out of every character in Star Wars, these are the ones that can't be made. Bizarre!

#4 Admiral Ackbar in Star Wars Black.

#5 New characters made in the vintage style. This would seem to be a pretty cool idea as well as a way to reignite the vintage market.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Great ones, guys! Blur, I'm with you on the playsets. I understand why Hasbro doesn't make them, but that doesn't make me want them any less. Barbecue17, I absolutely love your #5. I'm not even a PT fan, but if they made PT era characters in the style of the old Kenner line I'd be all over it.

Well, let's see what I can add here...

#1.) Hasbro, 3 3/4" scale Rebel Blockade Runner: I've wanted one of these for over 30 years now.

#2.) Hasbro, 3 3/4" scale Jabba's Sail Barge: They can cheat on this one size-wise. It doesn't have to be the size of the old G.I. Joe U.S.S. Flagg or anything.

#3.) The return of the Unleashed figures: I think this line died prematurely. Like the 6" Black series, these are a nice mid-tier collectible for those who don't want to shell out $100+ for Sideshow and Gentle Giant items, but still want eye-catching, display quality collectibles.

#4.) The return of the 12" doll to retail: PadmeLeiaJaina's made me a believer in this one.

Four's all I've got. I tried, as five is my lucky number and, you know, karma and all, but I just couldn't do it :p.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    12 inch realistic Count Dooku figure from AotC

12 inch realistic figure of Grand Moff Tarkin from ANH

A realistic model of Biggs' X-wing, Red Three

A realistic model of a Z-95 Headhunter

12 inch realistic figure of Gilad.

PadmeLeiaJaina likes this.
  7. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    I got into Micro Machines late in the game (early 2000's instead of the '90's when they were first released) and agree they are excellent toys; they are the successors to the Kenner '80's micro-collection, but with a much broader selection. Some of my favorite sets were the heads that opened up to display mini-playsets (i.e., Emperor's Royal Guard, etc.) & also the much smaller mini-heads that opened up to reveal a small figure. Maybe we'll see this line come back with the ST?!....

Also enjoyed the die-cast metal SW vehicles, but am not sure if these were considered micro-machines or not...

An online-collector club would be nice, but only if the figures weren't astronomically overpriced. The G.I. Joe collector club offers a lot of good figures, but their prices are too high. I would be willing to pay $20 for an exclusive SW 3 3/4 figure that wasn't available anywhere else, but not sure if I'd be willing to go much higher than that....

My understanding is that the actresses who played the Tonnika sisters refused to sign over the rights to their "likenesses" that are needed in order for the figures to be made. Apparently since they were some of the only cantina characters whose faces could be seen (instead of wearing masks, as everyone else was) they want to be paid if any figures are made of their characters. However, not sure how much of this is Internet rumor/speculation and how much is factual....Too bad, since I would really like a 2-pack of these characters. I actually Idon't consider the Tonnikas that obscure since, even though they're only seen for a second in the film, even casual fans of ANH recognize them...

Barbecue17 likes this.
  8. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    I got into the Micro Machines back in 95. Actually, the Galoob message boards were the first Star Wars fan community online that I ever joined (I was Gold Leader back in the day, FYI). Those were some crazy times! I still have all of my Micro Machines and keep many of them openly displayed in my hobby room. One of these days I'm going to do a series of special features on them on my website.

Yeah, I agree with you about the collector's club. The reason the Joe club is so expensive is A. Hasbro doesn't run it, the G.I. Joe collector club does and B. They have a much smaller fan base than Star Wars. I think Hasbro could easily do something comparable to what Mattycollector does themselves and charge much less. Heck, that might be the best way to run Star Wars Black in the long run.

9. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I really would love a Death Star playset. The vintage one is one of my holy grails that I want but when I see them for fair prices, I don't have the money, when I have the money my attention is elsewhere. I think a big modern version would be awesome. Sadly Hasbro has stated that they're holding off on playsets for now, I guess with the economy being what they are they're just not selling.

I have no knowledge about the Tonnika sisters, but you know, time isn't on their side, I'm sure once the ladies die we'll get the figures made.

A 12" Lobot would be awesome! *Grumbles still needs to pick up Sideshow's Lando.

I'm all for them doing 12" Rebels of all sorts. I don't understand why we've gotten 20 billion clones from Sideshow and not ONE X-Wing or rebel pilot. Hello? What the hell is that about?

Who produces the Marvel toys? Are they Hasbro or Mattel? I know Diamond Select does some also. If they're Mattel, Mattel does fan club stuff for Barbie so that would explain why it translates over to Marvel also. I know GI Joe is Hasbro though so that throws that out the window :p

#5 - I think the newer cheaper figures are supposed to be viewed that way, unfortunately they more closely resemble the old Power of the Force line rather than the vintage figures so they don't quite have the same appeal.

Dooku-Darklighter - I'm all for more 12" figures. Didn't Sideshow do a Dooku?

A Blockade Runner would be awesome! I love that it could now be used either for PT or OT play.

I have a few ships (all in storage) and a couple of small playsets, the thought of having some huge fun playsets sounds so awesome. My top 3 playsets that I'm dying to own (if I had the space for them) are 1) Ewok Village 2) Death Star Playest 3) Geonosis Arena. I think having a big Sail Barge/Sarlacc pit playset would be awesome!

#3 WORD - something similar to that is on my list also (which will be coming.)

#4 [face_blush]

10. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    As a kid back in the day, I used to have the original Vintage DS playset and loved it. Unfortunately, I have no idea where it is now. Though the concept was great for the time, if they were to re-do this I think it would work best as a series of modular playsets that connected together. However, you're right that playsets are not economically feasible for Hasbro to do these days, which is why they've probably come out with so few good ones in the modern line (1995-on). The DS Corridor & escape/chasm sets that came out back in 1996 were somewhat cheap-looking & too small to be accurate, IMHO.

As far as I know, Hasbro does produce most of the Marvel toys; and, yes, Diamond Select does some higher-end Marvel figures also (not to get too off-topic, but I've seen some great Diamond Select Marvel figures in Barnes & Noble - however, they're not cheap...).

If Hasbro were to ever come out with a Jabba's throne room for the 3 3/4 figures, they should base the room on this model set. From what I remember in ROTJ, this floor plan is fairly accurate, and you can even see the trap door in the floor leading to the Rancor pit....

http://mightyjabba.com/2009/10/09/jabba-the-hutt-throne-room-action-scene-amtertl-model-kit/

11. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Have also wanted a 3 3/4 scale Rebel Blockade Runner with all of the bells & whistles since I was a kid in the OOT Vintage days. It would be great to see something with a door that blasted open like in the beginning of the film, the long corridors, and also some to-scale escape pods.

You're right, a to-scale Sail Barge would be huge, but a slighter smaller version would work. Would really like to see something like this as well.

I liked the Unleashed line as well, though I missed some of the earlier figures (Darth Maul, Slave Leia). I would like to see some new figures in this line, as well as some re-issues of some of the older, HTF figures. I'm not collecting the 6" line, but would get more Unleashed....

Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I would really enjoy more 12" by Hasbro; at the least, these should have similar quality to their 1996-2005 line, though they would be more expensive these days (though not nearly as overprices as Sideshow's 12" figures...)

12. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't have five, but one wish that I know will never ever occur is for the Clone Wars line to return. Hasbro really fumbled with character selection towards the end there; the show has so many characters that I'd love an action figure of! Of course some might materialize in the realistic lines, but I think the animated look was something quite special and very appropriate for what it was.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Ok so here are my top 5:

1) Obviously I want affordable 12" figures and a line of dolls to celebrate the gorgeous costumes made for the female (and male) characters from the films. I'd love for the line to either goto Mattel or have Robert Tonner pick up the license. His dolls won't be cheap but they'll be gorgeous and screen accurate.

2) I'd like some more middle of the road collectibles. The return of the Unleashed line, or creation of a new line of inexpensive but nicely detailed statues would be lovely. I'd like to see Gentle Giant come out w/ a line that was in the $30-40 range since their mini-busts that started at that price point are now double.

3) Hasbro really needs to work on rebuilding it's toy line to snag younger kids who can grow with the toys. With the Galactic Heroes line gone and the line that replaced it not being as popular, I'd love to see Hasbro/Playskool come out with some truly adorable, cute new Star Wars playsets/toys that are gender free. They could make some really cute new pre-school toys that are centered around the characters that most appeal to them - ewoks, gungans, jawas, padawans, Yoda, and the main characters. Wouldn't it be awesome to have "build an ewok village" playset toys that had cute, chubby ewoks that lived inside several trees that the kids could assemble and reposition where the houses were located? Not only do you have that pre-engineering types of skills, but it wouldn't make the play stagnant for them. Plus they can be broken down and stored small so they don't take up tons of room.

4) Since Star Wars is going back to Marvel - how about a line of figures that are based on the vintage Marvel comic books?

5) I'd like someone other than just Galerie make Star Wars mugs, cookie jars, and other fun kitcheny type collectibles. I rather miss the days of Applause and Sigma where they made collectibles across the board for characters, not only just Clones, Yoda, Darth Vader, of Darth Maul.

Barbecue17 and Juke Skywalker like this.
  14. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    There is a gold mine in quality, elaborate Star Wars toys. Why the manufacturers cannot see that is beyond me.

blur has the right idea. My entire collection was stolen from a storage area. I've replaced a few, but Ebay has enough ripoff artists on it to cure me of the desire to replace.

Go Auburn. War Eagle.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    That would be great. I never did get into Micro Machines (They were really before I got into collecting full-time), and my current focus is too splintered to go back and collect them now. I do plan to eventually pick up some of the old Kenner Micro Collection sets though.

Yeah, I don't think Hasbro has done a full-size playset since the Mustafar playset they released during the ROTS line have they? I'm sure they'll probably release at least one for Ep. VII, but I want some OT playsets darn it!

I'm actually surprised that Hasbro hasn't re-booted this line. After it was canceled it exploded in popularity on the secondary market. Even with the 6" Black Series, I really think there's still a hole in that middle-tier collector's oriented market.

Yeah, after a decade of intense Clone Wars focus (Between the last two live action movis, the micro series and the weekly series), and with Rebels, Ep. VII and the stand alone spin-offs coming, it may be a while before they revisit the Clone Wars in earnest.

This and this :D! Love those ideas.

16. jade2013

jade2013 Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2014
    New here. I usually hang out on other boards with similar focuses. I'm a Mara Jade focus collector primarily, so most of my list is along that line. Here they are in reverse order.

#5 – A Black Series figure of Vergere from the NJO books. A rather obscure character that I’m sure they’ll never make, but she had a major effect (good and/or bad) on the route the NJO and post-NJO novels went, and the figure would look awesome.

#4 – A Black Series figure of Mara Jade Skywalker, Jedi. This is the figure everyone voted for in the fans choice poll, but they gave us Emperor’s Hand Mara (again) instead. This will also probably never happen, unless she ends up in the sequels. The recent cryptic statement about Rebels and her cameo in the Marvel Infinity #1 gives me a little hope.

#3 – Mara Jade stuff in the FFG X-Wing game. I think this is inevitable given the number of cards they’ve included for her in the LCG. A Z-95 Headhunter set or one of her freighters would do nicely.

#2 – A return of Topps Star Wars Galaxy sets. Please, no more parallels (especially 1/1s) and ridiculous manufactured relic cards like Galactic Files and the upcoming Chrome Perspectives sets had. All I (and a lot of others) want is cards featuring good art from the Star Wars universe and reasonable chase sets that can actually be completed.

#1 – Some news on the Mara Jade PF figure from Sideshow. They’ve been talking about this for years. If they’re not going to do it, I wish they’d just say so. If they are going to do it, I wish they’d get on with it. I’d pre-order the exclusive version the day it is announced.

kecen and Barbecue17 like this.
  17. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    I'd really love some Mara figures wearing other costumes. It's why I was thrilled to get the Mara statue from the last Celebration - even though the costume is still form fitting, at least it's not black. A premium format version of her would be awesome, but of course for me being a 1/6th collector, I'd love a 12" version.

I don't know how many existing EU characters we're going to be getting now after the merger. There's been rumblings that the author who was supposed to write the Jaina trilogy isn't even sure if her book deal is going forward or not. I hope that Disney's not dumb enough to stop everything from the timeline that has so many fans.

BTW you must be excited for the new Koto Bishouj model coming out!

18. jade2013

jade2013 Jedi Padawan

Jan 5, 2014
    I got the Celebration piece too. I bought the whole set of 4 on ebay and sold the other 3, so it only ended up costing me about $45. I buy anything Mara Jade, so 1/4 or 1/6 wouldn't matter, and I'd gladly do both.

Hasbro never seems to realize how well EU figures sell. Trying to find Jaina and Jacen figures for under $50 is nearly impossible, and Mara and Plagueis seem to be by far the most sought-after figures from TBS so far. I'm sure we'll never get Vergere, so I may have to have someone make me a custom someday. I have a secondary focus on that character, and so far my collection consists of one trading card and one sketch card.

Pre-ordered it the day they opened it up, and direct from Koto so I know I'll get one. It'll be a long wait for April.

19. Blur

Aug 11, 1999
    Yes, and Yes!

I was a kid when the OOT was in theatres, and have extremely fond memories of the Marvel SW series (I have the excellent 2002-2003 DH reprint TPB's, and they're some of my favorite SW comics). I did like the Hasbro comic packs that were done in the 2000's, though there were unfortunately very few vintage Marvel figures - with the exception of a Leia/Fenn Shysha pack from #68 & one other pack, IIRC. Here is what I would like to see - note this is not a comprehensive list:

-Master-Com (Droid) & Carmine Infantino-drawn Stormtrooper from the "Wheel" storyline

-Dani & Rik Duel

- Jaxxon & The Spiner (porcupine alien) - yes,Jaxxon the big green rabbit was cheesy & campy, but I've wanted a figure for years...

- Crimson Jack & Jolli

-Any of the bizzare cantina aliens on the cover of #2 - one of my favorite Marvel covers as a kid, and it's worth noting that none of these aliens were actually in the film itself, but were created by the Marvel artists specifically for this cover (though there is a faux-Walrusman....)

-Any two droids from the excellent "Droid World" stand-alone issue (#48?!)

Would also like to see some more mugs/glasses/etc. There are too few of these out there (at least at this time), and I think there's a market for them. I remember having some ESB Burget King glasses back in the day, but they all ending up breaking. IIRC, these were reproduced as sturdier/less fragile plastic glasses about ten years ago, but I unfortunately never got them. I'd like to see some re-issues of these, as well as some mugs of characters' heads. I would also really like to see a re-issue/re-make of the R2-D2 cookie jar (not sure which company made this)...

20. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My top collection wish is for my cat to stop sleeping in my collection.

Other than that, it would be nice to see my local stores carrying the Black Series.

In terms of items, more Zuckuss and 4-LOM stuff. I'd consider Sideshow's payment program if they made those figures.

21. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    3 3/4", 6" or both? My local stores have done a nice job with the 6" line, but the 3 3/4" has been spotty. My closest Wal-Mart still hasn't put out wave 1.

22. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Local Entertainer had 2 6" R2s and a lone 3 3/4" Padme when I was there Wed. The Maul pegwarmers are gone - maybe they became Xmas presents.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Both. I have yet to see wave 1.

24. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Wow. I know from personal experience these things vary greatly from region to region and city to city. I can drive 30 minutes in any direction and have a whole 'nother experience at a cluster of stores in the same general area than I do in my area.

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    More Action Fleet expanded universe stuff.

K-Wing, Tri Fighter, TIE Raptor etc etc.