main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. mvk

mvk Jedi Knight

Jun 5, 2013
    What was Anakin/Vader's motivation to remain a Sith after Palpatine/Sidious told him Padme was dead? Seemed to me the only reason Anakin went over to the dark side was so that he could save Padme, and control life/death. With that no longer the case, what was his motivation to remain on the dark side? Was it just a "Once you go black, you never go back" type of thing?

Sorry for the bad reference pun.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader, set right after RoTS, we see that Vader is still struggling to find motivation.

"Revenge against what remains of the Jedi" seems to be a part. "Ambition to overthrow Palpatine and become ruler of the galaxy" seems to be another.

In Shadows of the Empire - Vader seems to be trying to master the technique of "dark healing" - he can do it- but only for periods of seconds. He figures that the more hate he can stoke up in himself, and the more he can suppress the "moment of joy" he gets when he can momentarily breath normally again, the less the healing will revert- until, through the Dark Side, he's fully cured the damage to himself.

Trebor Sabreon and TheWatcher like this.
  3. Jeroen16x

Jeroen16x Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    Podracer Power supply?

Hey,

i am designing a podracer for a school assingment.
    some things are unclear to me. what power source do podracer use and where do they put it.
    i know Anankin gets this tube thing in Episode I, but what is it exactly?
    and also the cables/tubes that connect the engines and cockpit seem a little thick, first i thought these supply the power to the engines but after looking at some images of podracers i saw that they dont really go "into" the engine, so how does this work?

Barbecue17 likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Episode I- Incredible Cross Sections, and Complete Vehicles (which reprints ICS content) may be good sources here.

Also - Wookieepedia will have most of the details on individual Pods (Anakin's and Sebulbas) that first appeared in ICS.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  5. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Good luck!

I hope that when you deliver your presentation someone shouts "Wizard!"

Now I'm going to tell you about what some friends and I called podracing when we were in high scool. Ep 1 came out right at the end of my Freshman year of high school. During the beginning of my Sophomore a group of friends and I's bus always got to school very early, so we would go to this one hall that hardly anyone ever used and "Podrace", which to us meant that we would have one person sit in a desk (those high school desks with the seat attached) and two people would hold the sides and run down the hall. Halfway down they'd let the desk go and it would glide down the hall and crash into a wall.

"That was podracing"

Trebor Sabreon and Sarge like this.
  6. Master Shinobi

Master Shinobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    I read some where that Qui gon jinn had to fight one of Jabbas Gladiators in order for him to bet on Anakin in the podrace. Does anyone know if this was true? And if so, why wasn't it in the movie, I think that would have been pretty cool to see.

7. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the Boards, Jeroen16x !

Merging with RQT.

8. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    I've never heard of anything regarding this. Interesting.

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    It was in the PS1/PC video game version of TPM. In the second Tatooine level, you have to see Jabba to get some peggats, I think it was to buy a ticket to get in and watch Anakin. But obviously Jabba is... Jabba so he sends out some big monster thing that Qui-Gon has to kill.
    Pretty tough fight, might I add.

10. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    OK, that's actually kind of familiar now. I remember the ES1 game. It was interesting. Kind of odd, really. In some ways ahead of it's time but in other ways a bit clunky.

11. Indyrams

Indyrams Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    When in the three films were we the audience suppose to know that he was really the Darth Sith Lord.

I can't remember.
    Actually, was it revealed in the original trilogy that's who he was?

I'm so confused.
    Anyways, I was just curious, I can't figure out where exactly in the films that it is revealed he is both people.

12. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    The actual moment where it is 100% confirmed is in ROTS, when Anakin declares "You're the Sith Lord!"

However, most fans understood from the minute Sidious first appeared in TPM that he was Palpatine in disguise.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  13. Master Shinobi

Master Shinobi Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2014
    Yoda would have defeated Vader with ease as the Emperor would defeat Kenobi with ease. But come on, we all wanted to see Kenobi and Vader go at it and Yoda and the emperor duel it out.

14. Renadt

Renadt Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2014
    I have a question regarding Star Wars Episode 1. This is the scene where Watto and Qui-Gon Jinn are discussing the cost of a J-14 hyperdrive, and Watto brings up pricing. When Qui-Gon mentions that he has 20k Republic Dataries, I hear Watto spurt out 20 credits? Republic credits don't work out here. Did anyone else hear that too?

15. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    You heard right! On a Hutt-controlled Rim World, Hutt currency is probably the only type in use/allowed.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    Welcome Renadt! :)

This is the welcome board and your question fits a lot better to the prequel board. To ensure that you get the best answers I'll move it to the PT in a minute.

17. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    this understanding might just be for those that see the older movies first or older fans. My son is 7 and even if had seen the OT first he has no idea who Sidious is and hasn't even put the Papltine (sp) is the Emperor cause i don't think they even say his name in the OT. He hasn't watched ROTS in full yet cause the thought of Anakin turning bad scares him.

18. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, random question: When a young Anakin says "Let's try spinning. That's a good trick." - isn't that pretty lame?

No, I'm only kidding, guys and gals. Lighten up!

Anyway, my real question is, after Anakin says that, and he yanks the yoke to the left, doesn't the camera depict his ship inexplicably turning the wrong direction (i.e., spinning to the right)? It has always stood out to me, from the very first moment I watched the scene in the theatre, nearly fifteen years ago, and I simply cannot watch it without asking myself, every time, "how did Lucas miss that?"

19. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    It sounds like he's questioning the discrepancy between Qui-Gon saying 20 thousand and Watto only saying 20. I don't have an answer. I'd need to watch the scene again. That is whatyou're hearing though, right?

20. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, Tatooine only takes Hutt money.

21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    He said "Republic Credits? Republic Credits are no good out here. I need something more real." It could be something along the lines of someone from another country trying to buy something in a small town of a completely different country with money from the homeland. Not all currency matches up well and depending where they are Mexican Pesos or German Marks aren't going to benefit the store owner. Last I heard (fifteen+ years ago) Canadian and American coins could be interchanged since they are worth the same amount of whatever.

And they call the Republic's currency "credits" makes up wonder about the state of the Republic's Money System.

To clear things up I am American and a little ignorant about some things.

Iron_lord likes this.
  22. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Aren't 'Dataries' an entirely electronic currency, also? Be a bit like trying to buy items with a Debit Card in a 1930s town - no ATMs either!

Lady_Misty likes this.
  23. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    The maybe a better analogy would be someone from an Industrialized Country (USA, UK, AUS) going to some poor country if Africa and they want to buy something with their credit/debit card at a stall but can't because the owner of the stall doesn't have the tech to do it and it wouldn't profit him either.

Tim Battershell likes this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had originally named the Emperor as Cos Da****, namely because it was a pun. He changed it to Palpatine by the time he wrote the intro for the ANH novelization. But for whatever reason, the films never used the name Palpatine. He was only referred to by his royal title and as master by Vader. Lucas hadn't intended for Palpatine to be a Sith Lord, rather he was a Force user who was very powerful and had developed a political background. It wasn't until he was working on the PT, that he decided to make Palpatine a Sith Lord named Darth Sidious.

There were hints of Palpatine being Sidious dropped in the first two films.

-When Darth Sidious and Darth Maul discuss finding the Queen's ship, we see they're on a balcony. Later on, we see said balcony is Palpatine's office and we can even see some of his furniture in that first scene.

-When Padme calls for a vote of no confidence, Palpatine has a small smile creep up on his face. It's present again when Padme leaves.

- A portion of Sidious's conversation with Nute and Rune about Padme's return to Naboo was cut. In it, Palpatine says that she is no longer of use to them. This was in reference to her having done what she did in the Senate.

-The camera pan when Mace wonders who it was that Obi-wan killed, which then ends on Palpatine who is the Master.

-Palpatine saying that he will watch Anakin's career with great interest.

-We see the royal guard in AOTC and ROTS, which replaced the Senate guards that followed the Chancellors around in TPM.

-When Anakin and Palpatine are in his office, Palpatine has his arms positioned like he does when he's Sidious.

-Palpatine's chair in his office is similar to the throne from ROTJ.

-We hear the Imperial March when the Republic's army is taking off and we see Palpatine looking on.

-The similarities in design between Grievous's quarters and the Death Star throne room.

-Palpatine saying, "Get'em!" right before Dooku uses the Force to grab Obi-wan.

-Palpatine encouraging Anakin to kill Dooku and Dooku turning to look at him in shock.

-Palpatine telling Anakin to leave Obi-wan behind.

-Palpatine's conversation to Anakin in the opera house.

-The Jedi's growing mistrust of Palpatine.

There were clues throughout.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    In the scene in ROTS when Yoda and Obi-wan are back at the Jedi Temple after Order 66, Obi-wan views the recordings to find out who sacked the temple. He of course sees Anakin slaughtering younglings and padawans, but he also sees the scene where Anakin bows to Palpatine and swears loyalty to him. If I recall correctly, this scene happened in Palpy's office, just after they kill off Mace Windu. So why can they see a recording taken from the Senate offices (or wherever the Supreme Chancellor's office is) whilst in the Jedi Temple?