main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Worst Possible Shippings

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by darth fluffy, Feb 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Liea/Tarkin I wouldn't have a problem with if it was actually a love story. As I said I love older men and I adore Peter Cushing who was a sweetheart. Tarkin isn't that bad of a guy and in the right hands I can see Tarkin/Leia working if it were a change of heart or redemption tale. I despise it when people make Dooku and Tarkin rapists.

2. Endor_boy

Endor_boy Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 24, 2013
    Tarkin as a rapist makes all kinds of sense to me. If nothing else, while in Tarkin's custody we see Leia menaced by an Interrogator droid. The subtext seems pretty clear that Leia is going to be tortured. It doesn't seem like much of a leap to go from Tarkin having Leia tortured to sexually assaulting her.
    I'm curious as to why you are so opposed to the idea of Tarkin as a rapist. What is it about his character that makes that not work for you?

3. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

And then she killed him. Talk about jilted lover.

TrakNar likes this.
  4. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    The template for one. Plus I am not inclined to automatically think the absolute worst of a character just because he's supposedly on the 'wrong' side. And, yes, before anyone says it, I have seen Cushing be a rapist in other work but I also know he didn't approve of it and really rather Hammer hadn't forced it. The film gives no hint that Tarkin is a rapist and I don't like it when people assume it.

5. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    I think I have a hard time seeing Tarkin as a rapist because the actor portrayed him as a cold and calculating mastermind and was extremely disciplined. I know the US Military is muddied down with it's own sex scandal, but one usually doesn't rise to the level of Admiral (or in this case a Grand Moff) if he is raping women. He may have the power to do so, but I would hope as he moved up the ranks if his superiors knew about his unsavory sexual predilection someone would have flagged him as being unfit for duty. I think it is not the man as much as the highly disciplined military structure he was part of that makes people balk at the idea that he is a rapist.

Of course, in the novel Death Star he exposed himself as being ruthless to the point of insanity when he blew up the prison planet Despayre despite the fact he had a garrison of Imperial troopers guarding the inmates. Maybe he could justify in his mind destroying Alderaan whose government was sympathetic to the rebellion, but there was no excuse to not evacuate your Imperial troops stationed on Despayre prior to using it for target practice.

I guess I am saying is if you took Tarkin out of his highly disciplined surroundings and only looked at the man…then maybe you could picture him raping her. Maybe I just have a hard time picturing Peter Cushing doing such as dastardly deed. From what I have heard about him he was a wonderful man.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I agree partially with you on Tarkin in that he's disciplined and not likely to achieve his status if he was a rapist. Yet, sorry, I threw Death Star away the instant I saw the crud they suggested for Cushing's character. He's not a nut.

*Nods* Thank you about Cushing. He truly was a class act.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I see the character not the actor.
    The Empire tolerated all kinds of undisciplined insanity from Vader. I think a rapist could be tolerated by the Empire if he were valuable enough to them and a government that sanctioned torture doesn't seem likely imo to care about a traitor being raped. The rape could even be seen as part of her interrogation.
    Mind you I had never given this a thought before but the idea that Garmin wouldn't do that just does gel for me.
    of course this is all just opinion and speculation and there isn't a definitive right or wrong stance here.

8. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I just...don't agree with any of that at all. I'm not denying that rapists exist but Count Dooku and Tarkin...I really don't know. That seems really disrespectful of the characters and the actors who portrayed them.

Space_Wolf likes this.
  9. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    quote="windu4, post: 51248434, member: 1333998"]I just...don't agree with any of that at all. I'm not denying that rapists exist but Count Dooku and Tarkin...I really don't know. That seems really disrespectful of the characters and the actors who portrayed them.[/quote]
    Disrespectful of a genocidal villain?
    I haven't and wouldn't say anything bad about the actor.

10. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    There is just nothing to suggest either in the movies or the novels that Tarkin was that type of person.

11. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Except fof Leia being tortured. And him being completely evil.

12. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    Leia was being tortured because she had information regarding the existence of a terrorist cell that could potentially bring the Empire to its knees. I'm not defending Tarkin's actions by any means but he is a Grand Moff after all. Now, the story says that he's a bad guy and I agree with that. He's a villain in the context of the story. Count Dooku is a villain within the context of the story.

I really don't like talking about this because it's a touchy subject but let's think about. Rape is an awful and terrible thing. In my opinion you have to be a certain kind of person to be a rapist. It just requires a certain level of evil. I'm not going to dive into the psychology of it or anything because that's a discussion for another thread.

There's nothing that lends credence to Tarkin and Count Dooku being rapists or spending their free time sexually exploiting women (or men). I mean, even in the EU Tarkin has a consensual relationship with a woman many years his junior...and it's totally mutual on both sides. I'm not saying there aren't rapists in Star Wars or there aren't characters in Star Wars who would be rapists. However, that's just a little to NC-17 for me to even think about. I'm sure if we all wracked our brains we could think of a character like that but I don't see why anybody would want to.

13. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I think any man that could blow up a planet killing millions of innocents is capable of anything. I'm not saying Tarkin is a rapist but I could accept that interpretation. There's nothing in his character that goes against that.

14. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Didn't Tarkin simply order Leia's interrogation and signed her death warrant. It looks like he has other people do his dirty work.

15. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    Just because he had someone else do his dirty work doesn't absolve him of responsibility. Those atrocities including the millions of deaths were done by his will.
    I had no idea there were so many Tarkin apologists.

16. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    I am not apologizing for Tarkin. I'm just saying there are different types of psychopaths. He doesn't appear to be the type that would gullet a man with a knife. He would order somebody to torture, kill and shoot him out the airlock.

It is a lot easier to kill people when there is a step in between the act. That is why a lot of people hire somebody to kill their spouse for them. They are cold blooded enough to order the killing, but don't have the intestinal fortitude to actually do the act. I cannot see Tarkin lowering himself to personally torture people. That is for his underlings to do for him.

How the hell did we get on this subject? :confused:

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  17. Endor_boy

Dec 24, 2013
    I believe it started with Cushing admirer saying she was annoyed by Tarkin being written as a rapist in a fan fiction.

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Hey guys, I let the conversation on underage go for a while as it seemed like it was passing and it wasn't going too far, but this conversation has gotten a little out of hand and kinda off topic, so let's cool it on the rape and underage discussions. Fics of those natures are not allowed on here so we really don't need to discuss them.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't realise I had broached underage, Ma'am. And I didn't mean any trouble I was simply explaining a peeve.

20. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    I wouldn't have expected same-sex ships to have to be named here at all, since by definition they're pretty raunchy.

Let's see...Tahiri/Jacen, seems to just spit on Anakin's memory.

...And that's all I can really think of that hasn't been named that really speaks to me as horrible. :p

21. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    One pairing that's a little shocking, to me, is Thor/Loki from the comic books/movies. I know that they aren't related, as far as we know, but they were raised as brothers. Maybe someone reads too much V. C. Andrews. The few I read were disturbing.

22. Ewok_Slayer

Nov 24, 2004
    Yuck! My disgust is not over a same-sex relationship, but it reeks of incest. Yes, technically they are not blood relatives, but if you are raised as brothers those social taboos should be firmly in place. They look mismatched anyway. A homosexual Thor would definitely be a Bear. Loki…not so much.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    My mom became a Thor/Loki shipper overnight after watching the Avengers. [face_plain]

24. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    TrakNar I don't know what is more disturbing: the fact that your mother wants to see Thor and Loki bootknocking or the fact that she told her daughter that particular squicky fantasy.:p

I know my sons would freak is I casually ran that past them.

25. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Brokeback Valhalla. [​IMG]

Thank goodness she's back in Florida.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.