main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Poll: Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mystery Roach, Jan 11, 2014.

?

Is the ST the conclusion of the Saga?

1. Yes. Episode IX will conclude the story that began with TPM.

35.2%
  2. No. Episode XII will conclude the story that began with TPM.

9.9%
  3. No. The story that began with TPM will continue indefinitely.

28.4%
  4. No. The story that began with TPM ended with ROTJ, and Episode VII will begin a new story.

21.6%
  5. Other (Please Explain)

4.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I've been basing my theories about the ST on the statements that George Lucas has made over time to the effect that Star Wars will be a single story told over nine films. Although he has changed his mind in the past, it seems apparent to me that this was indeed his point of view when he sat down to write the ST. I also believe that when he made the deal with Disney, it included having to use his story for the ST, as well as the proviso that it would be the final part of his saga, and that whatever else is planned beyond the ST will be separate from Episodes I-IX.

What do you think and why?

Edit: I forgot to put "Poll:" in the title. Any chance a Mod could help me out with that?

2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Too soon to tell. It won't surprise me either way. I said other.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I was considering saying other, but I chose just not to vote at all
    Personally, it ends for me after it ends for George. If there are any further episodes, but with no involvement from him whatsoever, then I'm not interested. But if he wants to write a story treatment for Episodes X-XII, then I'm all for it

4. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Totally agree, the ST will conclude the Saga.

But in turn, the Saga itself will be a springboard for an infinite amount of stories taking place somewhere and at some point in the GFFA. My reasons are the same as yours, GL had a 9 part story and a couple of other unrelated stories. He wanted a never ending serial akin to the B&W matinees he watched when younger. We are now witnessing the completion of his 9 part saga. We have been told there will be yearly spin-offs.

Everything is proceeding according to his design mwahahaha

5. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    If the ST goes over really well and Star Wars fandom continues to grow and grow, there's no reason why they can't turn the main story into an ongoing series. Star Wars is arguably the greatest modern day mythology we have. They could produce a new trilogy every few years and continue the story for ages and ages. It would be amazing to witness a story take place over the course of hundreds - maybe thousands - of years.

Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader don't need to define Star Wars. They can continue to create new legends and tell new stories.

whostheBossk and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  6. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    As long as the episodes are profitable, I imagine Disney will want to continue the saga indefinitely.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I think there needs to be a definite end to the Skywalker Saga and I think Episode IX should be that end. I think it's the perfect way to end this particular story as we get to witness the fall of democracy and the rise of a dictatorship then the fall of that dictatorship and now a rebirth of democracy all through the eyes of a family. Everything comes full circle and right now I don't see a purpose of going further. But that doesn't mean the Star Wars Saga has to end as they could focus on a new set of characters and a new era and tell a whole new saga. That's what I hope at least.

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Other. Too soon to tell. I can say that I don't think that Disney shelled out that cash to make a trilogy and a few spin-off films. Especially when they are clearly looking to establish a new set of characters.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I guess I just don't see why episode numbers would be such a big appeal for Disney. Star Wars has a lot of potential beyond a single continuing story, and they're fully aware of this. Besides, having episode numbers in the title would lose their appeal shortly when they get too high anyway. There's a reason studios inevitably drop sequel numbers from the titles of their movies when they get too high. There's no reason why they can't continue to create new legends and tell new stories without tieing them directly to this one. I think it would be important to Lucas to have a definitive end to the story he began, and whether that endpoint is Episode VI, IX, or XII, I think it would seriously undermine the credibility of that story not to have that definitive ending. And for me personally, as a George Lucas fan, I would never be able to accept further episodes in which he had no involvement as a part of his story, whereas any story they begin once this one is complete would allow me to judge it on its own merits.

10. Master Aizakku Rorensu

Master Aizakku Rorensu Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2013
    I would be fine with this, but I voted "No. The story that began with TPM ended with ROTJ, and Episode VII will begin a new story."

It's been so long since '83 that I would be happy with the opening crawl saying something like, "There's been peace and tranquility throughout the galaxy since the destruction of the second Death Star, but now... " and just start something new from there.

Have the movies that George Lucas was directly involved in be it's own thing, and since Disney is going to have it from now on, just let everything going forward be their own thing, and just give me an indefinite amount of trilogies. Some three episodes long, some nine, some six, a twelve episode story, that sort of thing.

Luminous Beings Are We and TX-20 like this.
  11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

But George Lucas is directly involved in the ST... He isn't the guy in charge anymore, but he wrote the story and he's in frequent contact with Abrams. I think his contributions will be felt strongly in the final product, and honestly this is the only reason I'm even as excited about the ST as I am.

I'd have no problem with them telling as many different stories as they want moving forward at whatever lengths those stories need to be, but that's all the more reason for them not to continue the episode numbers after this story. There's already a thread about the future of Star Wars beyond the ST, so I'm afraid of getting into too much overlap with this thread, but I have a lot of thoughts about what they might do to separate those stories from this one.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  12. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Episode IX concludes the Saga begining with The Phantom Menace.

Other films and projects will not have the roman numeral and may or may not even have an opening crawl. They also probably won't be scored by John Williams.

Although it will not be duplicated, The Clone Wars animated movie is a template for how they are going to try different styles for projects outside the "Saga".

Good question.

StoneRiver and Mystery Roach like this.
  13. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Id rather they make 12 movies and have two separate stories

14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I agree that the ST will conclude the saga that began with TPM. The only question is how much of Episodes I-IX will Disney be allowed to use in creating new sagas.

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

If I'm reading you correctly I don't think there will be any restrictions on what they can use from the existing saga when creating new stories in the same universe. Everything in Star Wars is property of Lucasfilm, so it's all under the ownership of Disney now. I just don't think Lucas would allow them to continue making Episodes to this particular story after IX.

Edit: Also it should be noted that this will be the jurisdiction of the Story Group. I don't think Disney actually has much interest in limiting or dictating what stories they tell in this universe as long as they're deemed likely to make a profit, and they've probably already agreed on a general plan for how proceed after the ST (also by GL's design and included in the presentation he made to Disney for the sale).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  16. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I damn well hope so. I actually really dig the idea of a "trilogy of trilogies", and the last thing I want is for the episodes to become a neverending, James Bond-ish franchise. Star Wars can continue as long as Disney wants to keep making them, but the saga itself needs to end, preferably with dignity intact.

17. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Yes, you read me correctly.

18. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I chose Other for two reasons. Firstly, as Mystery Roach posted above, George Lucas' opinion on what he figured to be the finale of the saga has shifted steadily over time, and so that could be a factor in bringing more expansion to the saga later, especially if Disney opts for that or if they themselves can persuade Lucas to broaden his vision for the saga, granting Disney permission to further explore it.

Secondly, I think that continuing the saga beyond Episode 9 (assuming that is the episode that Lucas has decided will be used as the climax, in keeping with the trilogy theme) will greatly depend on the success of the upcoming ST. If it is HUGE, then I could definitely see Disney scrambling to continue Lucas' saga, especially if they feel that the ST's success is largely due to the returning OT cast members, and want to bring them back for more adventures.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Episode 9 will conclude it or Episode 12 and a FT will complete the saga.

Revious Nugo and Odolwa like this.
  20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Assuming we'll get 10 - 12 someday as well, I am hoping 7 - 9 tread new ground, but use passing references, when appropriate, to the earlier 6 films. I am ready to move on from fallen Jedi/redeemed Jedi. The Sith were cool and all, but their story is done, in my opinion.

21. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    When the ST takes in $4.5 billion worldwide Disney will green light EP 10 , 11 & 12 faster than you can say more billions please.......

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  22. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The ST SHOULD close the saga, but with JJ in charge I fear it will just appear disjointed and never ending.

23. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Not to mention Disney has the means to churn out a movie a year if they really wanted to. The "single story" is nowhere close to
    Over.

24. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004

I'm in no way suggesting they won't continue to make lots of movies. Only that they will find other stories to tell in this universe, rather than run the risk of drawing this one out until no one cares anymore.

StoneRiver likes this.
  25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I hope not. And in fact don't believe it will be the end.

The fact that George has given us the blueprints for the future suggests that it will continue indefinitely. He could have left well enough alone and let ROTJ be "the end." Now, there's no reason why SW can't be the serial George always envisioned. Also, like Marvel is doing with the X-Men, they could launch a new series during the days of the Old Republic as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.