main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It depends on what the plans are for the spinoffs. Are the spinoffs going to use the same stages, and possibly the same crew, as the Episodes? If so, then each Episode and spinoff will have to be shot separately. If the spinoffs will have different stages and crews then the productions can overlap, and there shouldn't be any schedule problems. I wish we knew more about the spinoffs.

Darth Chiznuk and Immortiss like this.
  2. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012

I'm not saying they would shoot all three back to back. I'm suggesting it's just about possible they've considered shooting VIII and IX back to back once VII is done and dusted. They're still busting a gut to shoot by April/ May so all focus will be on VII for now, but there's no reason they couldn't do the next two films back-to-back.

T-R- likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - I acknowledged that in my previous post. :)

T-R- and Diggs like this.
  4. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Just saw, sorry!

Darth PJ likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Even if they shot VIII and IX back to back, they would need more time to finish the script and shoot them, and less time between the release of each movie. I think they're going to want to stick to their schedule of 2 years between films.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree. Why mess up the rhythm? The only situation where I could see that being more ideal is if the stories for 8 and 9 have zero time gap between, which I hope is not the case. Of the Rings, Lord, this is not.

7. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    It makes sense to shoot the spin-off's a matter of weeks/months after they shoot an Episode so the same crew is kept in place........

8. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    At this stage I'm not sure if there is an intention to use the same crew for spin offs. I would imagine it would be a completely different set up, different crew and they'd probably be shot in LA...

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

Apparently Disney locked down the London soundstages for a decade purely for Star Wars purposes. Besides, if Spin-Off #1 got to shoot in L.A. and JJ had to schlep out across the pond, you'd hear his head explode.

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Well I'll defer to whatever facts are out there... but I'd just imagine that they wouldn't tie spin off films to the exact same production model of the actual ST. One would imagine they'd have different budgets etc. which would partially dictate as to where they are shot. For example, if one particular spin off had a fixed location (e.g. desert) it may just be cheaper to film it in Disney studios US. If one spin off involves 90% virtual environments and creatures, they may just embed production at Lucasfilm.

11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    There needs to be an excuse to have a Jedi do this somehow with a staff. Awesome imagery. I want Star Wars to look like this...

[​IMG]

Jedi Knight Fett and Psmoke like this.
  12. Psmoke

Psmoke Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2013
  13. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I'm sure Marvel will provide Disney and Lucasfilm with a bit of a model. 'The Agents of Shield' television show is a great example of this model. That show also plugs the latest Marvel film.

14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If we're just completely theorizing stuff, I get the feeling that if Lucasfilm = basically like how Marvel is doing it, I can see them skipping the Network Broadcast stop that "Agents of SHIELD" landed on (who gets bad buzz due to dropping ratings) and jump straight-off into the Netflix / online only for whatever the Star Wars serial / TV effort may end up being (like Marvel has done with it's next TV project, Daredevil, Luke Cage, etc.)

Pro Scoundrel and Immortiss like this.
  15. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    having not seen any of Abrams films I don't know what to expect from the guy,

All I know is that he is the guy who apparently likes "lens flares"

so in a way I'm in a good position because I'm not going into the film with any preconceived notions

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  16. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    If JJ doesn't work out for the trilogy, I'd like to see Brad Bird take the reigns

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    I'd rather Brad Bird get the sequel to The Incredibles done first. It's a crime that Cars got a sequel and The Incredibles didn't. Monsters Inc can be pardoned because unlike Cars 2, Monsters University was actually good. Remains to be seen if Finding Dory will go the same way.

Gallandro and Six like this.
  18. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    I'm sure Pixar have approached him about Incredibles 2 but he wants to wait until it's the right story.

19. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I've always hoped and suspected that someone else would end up taking the directorial reins after Episode VII, but now I want that more than ever.

20. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    hakuna matata

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    Bibbity Bobbity Boo

Right story? Comic writers have already done "right stories" for the Incredibles, so I wonder what his real excuse is? Is it the fact that in this new age of Marvel cinematic dominance, an original superhero story would be hard to do?

At least the upcoming Big Hero 6 has Marvel's backing.

EDIT: And I just looked up that the writer of the (Sadly discontinued) Incredibles comics was Mark Waid. AKA the guy who wrote Kingdom Come. That's awesome.

Darth Punk likes this.
  22. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Actually, if he doesn't do a good job in the first one, never mind the whole thing, he should be canned. I would rather see someone else course correct, and Brad Bird does seem like a good candidate to do that, too. Peter Jackson and Ridley Scott is on my wish list, though, but I also know that'll never happen.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    1. Devin Faraci โ€@devincf
      13h
      That's the conflict that has me most interested. I suspect - for better or for worse - JJ will win & guide it all for a decade.
      Expand
    2. [​IMG]
      Blobfish โ€@blobfishspeaks
      13h
      @devincf That's kind of scary. Does the @THR report jive with what you've heard?
      Retweeted by Tricia Barr
      Hide conversation

11:07 PM - 11 Jan 14 ยท Details

Tweet text
      Reply to @blobfishspeaks @fangirlcantina @devincf @THR

Dismiss

Image will appear as a link
    3. [​IMG]
      Devin Faraci โ€@devincf
      13h
      @blobfishspeaks @THR very much.
      Expand

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I kind of like the idea of a different director for every movie, to change things up. It worked for the OT. However, if JJ does do all three, then I've got no issue with it, he's a good director.

Six and Diggs like this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I contend that folks should react AFTER they have seen it.

Six, The Hellhammer and Diggs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.