main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Shia LaBeouf Announces Retirement?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Deputy Rick Grimes, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  2. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    He's so going in my celebrity deadpool.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Disturbia is a great example of how a a movie can overcome a lot of serious issues. See, it's an updated rip off of a classic (Rear Window), directed by a journeyman director that's basically an unknown (D.J. Caruso), starring a young actor with a very limited range (LaBeouf), with no pretensions to being anything but a thriller. That does not bode well. But Caruso had apparently been studying Hitchcock and so he actually created genuine atmosphere and tension; LaBeouf acquits himself fine, without trying for anything he can't do; Carrie-Anne Moss joins the party as the mother; David Morse, perfectly cast, elevates things with his creepy turn as the villain; the supporting cast of Sarah Roemer, Aaron Yoo, Viola Davis and Jose Cantillo all show up and hit their marks perfectly; the screenwriters remember that Hitchcock always had a lot of humor so they do too; and, last but not least, a wonderful Hermann pastiche of a score by Geoff Zanneli (one of the best Hermann pastiches I've ever heard, actually) finishes things off.

And what do you have? You have, really, a perfect movie. This is a perfect example of how a genre film can become just a straight up great film even if just totally hews to all the genre tropes. All it takes is for everyone to bring their A-Game and, even if all they're doing is checking the genre boxes, it can still be a straight up great film. Now I really want to watch this movie again.

4. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
  5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Sheesh, when did he start looking like a Lollapalooza roadie?

Anyway, this seems to be a case of Newton's Third Law. He was Hollywood's Golden Boy for a brief moment, but I think the backlash against the Tranformers movies and especially Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull stung bad, and it sent him spiraling off on a search for respect under the guise of artistic integrity.

Juliet316 and JediTerminator like this.
  6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Yeah, truth be told, I am actually a fan of some of his movies too. I do not know as to how serious his claim of staying out of all public life actually is, or as to if that includes the process of making movies, but at this stage of the game it would be pretty foolish for Shia to abandon Hollywood altogether, especially considering he is still a top draw in theaters. Honestly, one of my favorite scenes from any movie he has been in thus far would have to be when at the end of Indy 4 he attempts to don Indy's hat, and Harrison takes it back showcasing in a nifty way that he was not ready to give up the role yet. That was very cool imo.

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    What wouldn't be cool is for Shia to then lead the franchise in place of Ford.

8. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Oh definitely. Nothing against Shia or anything, but the only person that I could have ever seen take that Indy role from Harrison, at least in spin-offs or something, was Sean Connery since he played Henry Jones Sr. Unfortunately, that will never happen since his character was killed off for whatever reason, but other than that, I would rather Shia nor anyone else ever truly take over the role of Indiana Jones. Maybe, if Shia's movies were called The Adventures of Mutt Williams or something, then that would be alright, but it would suck imo if Harrison ever hands over the title of Indiana Jones, at this point.

9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Cause Connery retired.

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Legolas Skywalker at that point he was still retired, yeah, but the act of killing off his character I thought was completely unnecessary, as there are many ways to write around a character not being present, such as saying he was off on an archaeological dig or some such thing. Also, Connery had provided voice-over work for the From Russia with Love video game in reprisal of his James Bond character in 2005, and Indy 4 came out in 2008 so he had already shown he would come out of retirement for something he was passionate about, and thusly it made no sense as to why he did not return in Indy 4.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well from what I read, he was offered a cameo role but turned it down cause he was enjoying retirement life at the time.

12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    To be honest, how likely is it that Indy's dad would still be around given how old Indy himself was in KOTCS?

13. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Legolas Skywalker if that was indeed the case, then I am happy for him, but as a fan of his work, such a thing as his retirement is still a bittersweet pill to swallow. As I posted previously, Spielberg killing off his character in Indy 4 just felt to...final, and takes away even the hope of a possible future cameo appearance from him in Indy 5. Although, in the Indiana Jones universe things like fountains of youth, Pandora's Boxes and stuff is commonplace so maybe that would leave a door open to bring him back somehow, if he so desired.

SithLordDarthRichie I am uncertain, quite frankly. How old were Sean and Harrison supposed to be in Last Crusade? Dunno...

14. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Indy was born in 1899. So by Last Crusade, which was what, 1939 he's 40. His dad was maybe 65 at the time? So by Crystal Skull, he's meant to be mid eighties which was really a bit beyond life expectancy of someone of Henry's era.

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Well...damn...with that last dose of knowledge you just destroyed my already unrealistic hope of seeing Connery return in future Indy films.

There is still the idea of ancient relics or whatnot returning him to life, though...hope restored : )

16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Maybe the Holy Water reset his aging process?

17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
  18. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    holy crap, indy was born in 1899!

19. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yeah, dude is dead.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Well I'll be damned.

22. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Maybe Bieber will be cast and Mutt in Indy 5 while Le Beouf will take up a career in pop.

23. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Sounds like someone is having a temper tantrum. Actors and artists get attacked in the media all the time. And if the movie is actually based on the book, come clean and give the creator some of the profit if it sells. But, really, "I'm turning my back on public life" - in a year we'll be hearing about him starring in a new movie role. He loves himself too much to pull out altogether.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    He'll be back within a week or 2

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Think about the historical figures Indy met. Think about the historical events he was there to see. Indiana Jones is the Twentieth Century.