main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You want force tentacles on a force goddess who is obsessed with pretending to be all of Luke Skywalkers old girlfriends even though he's 60+? Really?o_O Not to mention her blowing up a whole planet just since she got mad but can't seem to ever defeat Luke in a duel... talk about plot induced stupidity 8-}

I can see valid argument for Alter of Mortis (though I disagree :oops:, since it really invalidates the whole prophecy from the prequals... since now Anakin never was the choosen one since he abandoned his destiny of controlling Brother and Sister for the next 30k years) and Sith planet (yeah Vestara Khai [face_dancing][face_love] )

Sorry, but into using the Empire and Sith works just as well for tieing in PT, CW, OT, ST, and EU... in fact it works much much better and is far more easy to swallow for casual fans who never saw the 3 episodes of the CW that featured Mortis and the EU book series 'Fate of the Jedi'. For the record though Mortis does nothing to tie in the PT or OT, only the CW EU and ST (if they use it at all).

2. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I agree Thrawn is awesome and should be kept, if the change to the EU means bringing him back from the dead just like Maul in CW or introducing him later just to make him the new villain would be great. Apart from Thrawn I like the Vong to stay in some capacity as I feel that's the big antagonist that really and truly defines that era much like The Empire in the Rebellion and early New Republic era or The Sith Empire and The Mandalorians in the Old Republic era.

Aside from that, keeping the real identities of the supporting post-ROTJ EU characters like the Solo/Skywalker children and Mara Jade etc is all I want to stay and I'm pretty sure even people who casually glance at the EU would not forget the names of the REAL extended members of the family.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not gonna play the very dull "I'm a bigger Star Wars fan than you" game but, short version, yes, one can be a diehard fan of all the branches of Star Wars and be totally fine if they reboot/retcon/steamroll the EU to make it work better with the ST. I have no problem with that. Canon is not a major factor in me being a Star Wars fan, but having it take place in the Star Wars world is. Just because something like Tag and Bink are Dead is not officially "canon" doesn't make me any less of a fan or think it's any less awesome. (Besides, I personally accept that as Canon anyway. Manny Both Hanz FTW!)

T-R-, TKT, kubricklynch and 3 others like this.
  4. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Manny Both Hanz died.... You shouldn't minimalise his noble sacrifice.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This describes me too, except in my case it was six or seven EU novels, and some online or "back of the cover" plot summaries for others.
    My understanding (with the limited info we've gotten so far) was that the six movies, TCW, and Rebels were all definitely canon. And then everything else going forward will also be canon and will all be on the same level of canon. The question mostly seems to be surrounding EU novels, comics, games, etc. that were created before the Disney purchase, and whether any of those will be canon. It sounded like parts of those that got "pulled in" by the canon sources (like characters or places) would be made canon by that process. But again, all of this needs to be confirmed to be sure.

Mange, Iron_lord and Mystery Roach like this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    yeah, it's best if Mortis and anything connected to it are left out of the movies.

kubricklynch, Ryus and EHT like this.
  7. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    This statement is so true, I find almost the entirety of Post-ROTJ EU to be outright trash, the ideas when you hear them almost sound like a bunch of fanboys sat around a table discussing what would be 'cool' to see after Jedi ends, not all of it is bad, but most of that era is filled with contradictions and author wars.

I find myself much preferring what goes on before the movies, stuff like the Darth Bane trilogy leading up to the Darth Plagueis novel, one of the single best additions to the EU that I've read, then going further back you have the classic Tales of the Jedi comics and the legendary Knights of the Old Republic series, there is a whole hell of a lot of quality reads that take place in the Old Republic era right up to the Rise of the Empire era that dwarfs the Post-ROTJ EU by magnitudes.

It took me a long time to get into the EU, I tried reading the NJO series, got bored, tried to read the X-wing series got bored even quicker and the Jedi Knight games couldn't even pull me in, then I started reading the Solo twins stuff and dear lord was that bad, from characters seemingly changing for no discernible reason to outright character assassinations on a whim, but then I got a copy of Knights of the Old Republic with my Xbox Crystal back in '05 and have been a major fan of the Old Republic era ever since.

I am not overly concerned about the Post-ROTJ material, frankly the only concern I have is the ending of Exar Kun's story, but beyond that I would happily see a great sequel trilogy not bound by the era's tenants.

I do however hope that the Pre-TPM material is left alone, especially stuff like Darth Plagueis.

ScorpionJedi and black_saber like this.
  8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Most likely it will be left alone since George lucas was involved with it.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not a fan on when Plagueis is killed. Should've been a lot earlier in the timeline.

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I can accept it being 32 BBY but it should have been 42-41 BBY

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    yeah, right after the deed would've worked perfectly for me

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Our very own TFN reports that there may even be "Movie Canon" being replaced!!

To counter-act the prequels, the Boba Fett spin-off movie planned for 2018 has an interesting twist pitched by Episode VII writer Lawrence Kasdan: the spin-off will start with a complete stranger killing Boba Fett and taking his armor, starting a Man-With-No-Name bounty hunter tale. So: someone kills the Boba Fett from the prequels and takes his armor and name. One thing is for certain is that Kasdan didn’t like the prequel and wants no Bobba Fett Clone in the spin-off film.

For PT haters this is great news, but for fans of the clones and Temuera Morrison. But worse, this sets a precedent that not even movie canon is safe..

Source

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    What a lame idea, I hope it's not true. I understand not liking the idea of Boba Fett as a clone but come on, AOTC turns 12 this year, get over it already!

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    No retconning the PT plz.

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, just let it go. Honestly, do not pander to all the IMDB and Facebook comments section "plastic SW fans" calling for the eradication of the PT.

Mystery Roach and Maul95 like this.
  17. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    But this isn't just PT haters, this "supposedly" Lawrence Kasdan. Hopefully this "new group/committee" formed to decide what's canon has the final say over what writers and directors do. It's good that most of you are on board with keeping Fett a clone. If Lawrence Kasdan had his way, the "Fett" movie would overwrite AOTC and TCW. Well not technically (if it's a copy cat that steals his armor), but it totally undermines the legacy of Boba and his dad Jango.

Mystery Roach and Iron_lord like this.
  18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It's a terrible idea but I take everything Latino Review says with a huge grain of salt. I would think Kathleen Kennedy would have more respect for George Lucas then to allow someone to retcon his films and characters. We'll have to wait and see but if they have that little regard for GL's universe then I'm going to have to think long and hard if I'll be spending my money to see that film as big of an overreaction as that may seem.

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    KK's power is not as great as you'd think.

20. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I don't know if that's true or not because I'm not privy to the inner working obviously. However, she is the head of LFL and while she ultimately answers to Disney it does appear to me at least that Lucasfilm retains the same amount of autonomy as Marvel does under Disney. So I'd say she has a say in these discussions and I'd be quite disappointed if she allowed this retcon to go any further than the idea phase.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Yeah, KK may or may not have any power, BUT from another TFN report, it looks like her and J.J. beat uncle George down a bit:

George Lucas participated in the debate over the script changes but "acquiesced" (accept something reluctantly but without protest) to Abrams and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy.

Dunno if Uncle George has as much influence as we originally thought.

Mystery Roach and Darth_Pevra like this.
  22. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    That may be a good thing for fans because that would be a postive step to make the Sequel trilogy go back the glory old days of star wars. I like the prequels only because I read the books in the era which gave a better outcome look of the movies.

vinsanity likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's insignificant to the power of the dark side of the moneys.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well she hired Arndt but later Arndt, who was "her idea", got kicked out of the project.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think it went down that way though. Abrams had to pitch his idea to Kennedy, Lucas and probably the Disney brass and from what we have heard Kennedy agreed with Abrams take and Lucas eventually took their side or at least didn't protest so Arndt was let go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.