main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Whose decision was it to change color of TIE Fighters?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bobatron, Nov 10, 2012.

1. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

Biggs tells him to eject

In universe they have a personal magnetic containment field (same stuff that allows docking bays to be open to vacuum without all the air being sucked out) but it is ineffective at keeping heat in so the pilot freezes to death if not rescued shortly.

2. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank you! This is one of those questions that I don't think about often, but when I do it always confounds me. That makes a lot of sense, although I definitely see why Porkins would not wanted to eject. Only the Empire could have realistically have picked him up and he knew that burg was about to go sky high.

3. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    If they succeeded, then wouldn't he have been killed when the Death Star blew? Or are there thrusters on the seats?

4. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

In universe there are thrusters on the seat, but they're not enough to escape a moon sized explosion about 15 minutes later.

5. BlakeB25

BlakeB25 Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2014
    I've never even noticed a color difference :)

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Yeah, I never really saw how ejecting was supposed to have helped Porkins either.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. CornStarch

CornStarch Jedi Master

Aug 30, 2011
    If you watch the trailer for the documentary on Star Wars toys, it seems like the Kenner employees had to design the toys based on what they could remember from the movie, they didn't get any direct stills from Lucasfilm or anything like that

8. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Speaking of which, I need to go right now and order that documentary. It's free shipping until Tuesday I believe. Just been kinda busy the last few days.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2019
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    If he crashes, he's dead instantly. If he ejects, there's a slim chance for some kind of unlikely/miraculous rescue at the last moment. Slim chance beats none at all.

10. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I'd rather die quickly in an explosion then suffocate in space, though. [face_beatup]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I always assumed that the entire cockpit seat and canopy (the entire little module) ejected out of the ship. Maybe no propulsion, but at least temporary life-support and a radio to call for help.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Sarge like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    It's easy to say that sitting in a comfy chair in front of your keyboard, but when faced with imminent violent death, the will to live is strong.

sith_rising
    That could work. IRL, the F-111 fighter bomber had a cockpit pod that ejected with the 2-man crew in it. (If it landed in water, the control stick could be used to work a bilge pump to keep the pod afloat.)

13. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    There's major Robot Chicken material in this thread.

Yeah, I noticed the TIE's are different shades of grayish blue from ANH to ESB too. You can really tell the difference during the trench run scene vs. the fleet intro in ESB.

Iron_lord and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.