main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should there be a Cliffhanger

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by WhiskeyGold, Jan 9, 2014.

?

Should it have a cliffhanger?

1. YES!

19 vote(s)
    36.5%
  2. NO!

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. Only the middle film (SW8)

22 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I agree the ending was great :)

EHT likes this.
  2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Great post =D=

EHT likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I was 13 when it came out but remember around the time TPM came out how Episode 3 would end. Had some ideas but can't really remember them.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I was 12 when ROTS came out, was pumped to see how it ended and it did not disappoint.

-Jedi Joe- and Darkslayer like this.
  5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Holy crap you and I are the same age.

-Jedi Joe- and Legolas Skywalker like this.
  6. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Heck, I barely remember when TPM first came out. My dad said we saw it in theaters but I have no recollection of it. When I was about 7 or 8 I discovered the Star Wars Databank, and from there is how I REALLY started to learn about Star Wars.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I only remember 1 thing about the move. After the movie and we got home, I got out of the car and yelled Best movie ever.

Darkslayer and Revan_AnakinSolo like this.
  8. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Am I the only one who expected that sentence to end with Return of the Jedi, and then felt weirdly aged at the mention of "Episode III"?

9. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I feel like it would be interesting at the end of Episode 8, just like 5 to 6.

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  10. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Agreed.

11. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Depends on what's considered a cliffhanger. Darth Vader survived at the end of ANH, but the film felt complete. Even knowing everything now, I never get the sense that everyone should hurry up the awards ceremony and get the heck out of there before the rest of the Empire shows up. I like a "weak" cliffhanger and sense of a broader story to come while feeling satisfied, and then a definite cliffhanger after the next installment to increase anticipation for the conclusion. I don't want STAR WARS to be too episodic like a Star Trek movie.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    SW echoes or mirrors or rhymes in that the first episode of each trilogy ended with victory and celebration. I think that the ST should break that pattern and end Episode 7 with a cliffhanger. A pretty dark one too. Then I also think Episode 8 can and should do likewise. There's no reason to have a celebration at this point, just keep building the suspense and thus fan interest.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Definitely agree. Since this is Disney's first Star Wars movie, I want to see them do their own sort of ANH which can stand on its own while still setting up sequels. If their very first SW flick ends with a cliffhanger, I think many fans will perceive it as a cheap attempt to squeeze more money out of them.

14. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Yeah, I'd rather not see a cliffhanger for Ep.7. Now Ep.8 I wouldn't mind, but that would keep it in line with what the original trilogy did. I guess some people would complain, but I wouldn't be one of them.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  15. Jedi-Hero

Jedi-Hero Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2011
    It should have and ending but also loose threads that you know will pop up in the next movie.

Chris_Fives and Julius Vernon like this.
  16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    There's a difference between a cliffhanger and an open-ended ending. ANH and TPM were open-ended, but not on cliffhangers; I'm sure they could work out something like that.

EMPEROR_WINDU likes this.
  17. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    ESB manages to to have somewhat of a cliffhanger ending while still concluding, which is a pretty rare feat. Something like that for the middle movie, sure. But I have to second not denying an episode cohesiveness just to amp up anticipation. Every Star Wars film has it's own visual and narrative identity, even as part of a larger saga, so as long as they each have this.

18. Darth Ardyti

Darth Ardyti Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 1, 2014
    I say no cliffhanger ending. But part of my reasoning is that, as unpopular as it may sound, being Disney's first entry into Star Wars, it technically could fail. I doubt this will be a problem, but I'd hate to have an ending left open and nothing ever come of it because the general public stayed away for...well, whatever reason.

19. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Ep. 7 is guaranteed a huge opening weekend, and that will be all it needs to make another one. Not to mention what it will do worldwide. I know you're speaking hypothetically, but there's not a snowball's chance in Mustafar that failure happens.

TheOneX_Eleazar and jaqen like this.
  20. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

This. Obviously there was more to come after TPM and ANH but in keeping with the way SW is structured, I don't want to see a cliffhanger at the end of Episode 7. Wouldn't mind one for Episode 8 though.

21. scooper121s

scooper121s Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 4, 2014
    Like to see a cliffhanger, I would :)

Much speculation, I would like to partake :p

22. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I agree I would be extremely interested to see this too, although I think a more accurate point of stopping would be just after Luke and Vader have lit their lightsabers, but before the fight actually starts. Smaug ends just prior to the action starting, everything we saw at the end would be considered suspense. I think that kind of ending would go over extremely well with some, and extremely poorly with others, just depending on the type of person. One thing is for sure though, Lucas would need to add a lot more story for it to feel like a complete film that just ended with a cliffhanger, instead of a half finished film.

Honestly though, i never really though Empire ended in a cliffhanger. It didn't end the story, but I also didn't feel like I was left hanging. I feel like a cliffhanger requires some kind of build up of the main story. Han getting frozen wasn't the main story, it was secondary. The main story was Luke vs Vader, and that very clearly came to an end. There were some unanswered questions, but not cliffhangers.

By the way, having Vader say he is Luke's father then not strongly hint to it being true or false is genius. There is no reason why we shouldn't believe Vader when he says it, other than you could believe that his character is lying. That is just ingenious story telling. It gets a lot of praise for being a great plot twist, but that wasn't the true genius behind that line.

23. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    I'm all for a cliffhanger. It's frustrating, but that's what makes good one hurt so gooood. No problem with the anticipation of waiting a few years for resolution, particularly since I was an infant when TESB was released and missed out on all of that.

I do think that ROTS counts as having a cliffhanger ending. If that film had closed in 1983, with no promise of sequels, imagine that? What will happen to Yoda? Obi Wan? Anakin? Will he ever find out he has twins?!

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    cliffhangers i am getting used to slowly and slowly as i'm getting older. but as a kid, i used to watch stargate and the months between the seasons (when they ended on a cliffhanger) damn near killed me. it was painful.

25. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Ugh... those pesky cliffhangers. Cannot stand them. Suffice it to say, waiting years between movies in a franchise is tough enough without the added anxiety of thinking to oneself, 'oh no, what is going to happen?' On your way to work or picking up something at the supermarket... that is so distracting. I like the Hunger Games style, a movie per year is pretty rad.