main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Gaming The Last of Us

Discussion in 'Community' started by ManaByte, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Took me a few weeks, I've been busy and... survival horror is not my thing so I can only handle so much terror and stress at once. Whether it was from clickers or the hunters. A lot of zombie movie cliches, yet also... some of the best writing and moments, and many emotional highs and lows. This had better win game of the year. Its not my favorite game, as I don't like survival horror so I still prefer Uncharted more, but Naughty Dog has definitely hit new heights with this game, and another compelling reason to play a PS3.

So much beautiful scenery and the music is very good too. I remember when I first heard the main theme, when it was being performed at the Spike Video Game Awards Show a year ago (or maybe it was two), so haunting, melancholic yet... still some passion. Which pretty much fits Joel perfectly.

My favorite happy moment was probably when Joel met up with his brother Tommy after traveling halfway across the country, and how they're both pretty civil, despite parting on bad terms, but considering the condition of the world, fighting family is the last thing anyone should do. As well as seeing a town pull itself together and surviving in this world without a military dictatorship. The giraffes was a really... innocent moment, after the horrors of Winter.

Sam and Henry's deaths were predictable but still really sad, but ouch, Ellie taking on all those hunters was probably some of the toughest parts of the game, and really shows how tough Ellie has become. And I didn't realize until I was watching the credits, but huh, Nolan North (aka Nathan Drake) voiced David, who was probably the... most twisted character in the game, and that's saying something considering the endless gangs of hunters and bandits. I'm not good with voices, but yeah, at first David seems like he might be civil, then we see one of their food sources, not to mention the final boss battle with him.

Joel was really a complex character. He's ruthless, very ruthless and by the standards of this world, almost unstoppable when he wants to be. About the ending... a generic "find the cure from Ellie's blood" would have been a happy ending, but the ending we got says a lot about Joel's character. We had already seen he will do anything to protect Ellie, such as his interrogations (torture and then kill them). I can understand why Joel did what he did at the end, take out as many Fireflies as he could and run for it, and given their conditions, even if they had dissected Ellie there's no guarantee they could have found a cure or even vaccine. Still, Joel basically chose the girl over the world and... its understandable. Killing Ellie would have been a pretty dark ending too, but as the whole game shows, the old ethics are gone due to necessity. If we ever get more story DLC, it'll be interesting to see if Joel's lines catch up to him (Joel didn't kill every single Firefly, and Tommy was a former one and Ellie isn't stupid either).

My favorite character was probably Bill- grumpy, but very tough and I'm just glad he didn't die at the end of his segment. Usually everyone but the main characters die in these sort of stories (Tess, Marlene, Sam, Henry, etc.). Also glad they avoided the cliche of revealing the military or an early Firefly group created the plague. Clickers and bloaters are scary looking, but seeing all those spores growing on the walls and ceilings was also creepy.

And while normally its not possible to fight clickers in melee, there is a capsule upgrade that lets you use shivs against them, I think. Never really invested in that one as shotgun is my favorite anti-infected weapon.

2. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Just finished The Last of Us late late night :( Really didn’t want this one to end. Best game I’ve ever played. Hope we'll see Joel and Ellie again on the PS4. Now going to start the New Game Plus to play it again. May try for the Platinum...

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Just finished the game after getting it on Friday, one excellent B-Day present. Truly the definition of what AAA games should be. Naughty Dog hasn't made a single game I didn't like.

4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I never really cared about wanting a PS3 until this game came out. It looks like a killer-app indeed. Hopefully there'll eventually be a 360 port, cuz I really don't want to throw money at a PS3 just to play a single game.

5. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I'd start saving your money. Naughty Dog is owned by Sony. The last time they made a non-PlayStation game was in 1995.

6. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    oh shiznit.

7. CrackaJones

CrackaJones Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2013
    Yeah, Sony doesn't like to port games to other platforms, even though it would earn them more revenue.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    It would make sense to have a Sony published game only on a Sony console. I'm glad, it makes me proud to have switched to a PS3. They got really talented studios.

9. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    No it wouldn't because these games sell PS3s/PS4s.

10. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Exactly. I originally bought a PS3 specifically to play Heavy Rain. I'm sure there are people doing the same thing for The Last of Us.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    This is without a doubt one of the best stories ever told in a video game system. Congrats to naughty dog for creating games for adults instead for teenagers or younger. Ellie is one of the best written characters I have ever seen and the excellent voice acting just made her character all that much more enjoyable to learn things about. I could honestly say that this is one game that you could literally get almost as much enjoyment from watching a play through as you could from actually playing it yourself. The story is that good. I loved the fact that these games really aren't about zombies at all. They are about how people manage to survive in a post apocalyptic situation and how the world turns them into who they are and who they will become.

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been planning on getting a PS3 for Killzone 2 and 3, Starhawk, and Dust 514, so Heavy Rain (never heard of it until now, but critically acclaimed definitely gets my attention) and The Last of Us are merely yet another reason at this point.

13. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    The people who made heavy rain made a game called Fahrenheit which is available on PC and, I believe, on Xbox live (it was originally released on the original Xbox). That is a game worth checking out...

Just started another play through of last of us. I'm not sure what I think of Joel now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

14. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    In the US it was known as Indigo Prophecy. It was a very cool game.

15. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Even longer before that, David Cage made a game called Omikron: The Nomad Soul. Let's just say that he got much better at making video games.

16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Pretty much all I've done this weekend is play this so I could finally finish. Yeah, this game ****ing ruled.

17. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This game was amazing guys. Just seriously, insanely good. Anyone who argues that video games aren't art deserves to have their mouth shut with this piece here. Amazing storytelling, acting, mostly gameplay, an insanely detailed world, and a crazy tone/feel to it that mandated I not play too much at once. The amount of detail in this world I think is what put me in the mindset. It feels real. It feels like Joel and Ellie are people.

The giraffe part was great.

The entire other group segment was just superb.

Joel's final decision was heartbreakingly true to his character. He's willing to go to every length to save Ellie, even if it means dooming mankind. Selfish, arrogant, and perfect.

Thanks for that Naughty Dog. I won't forget that. 10/10.

07jonesj likes this.
  18. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    First look at the upcoming DLC

07jonesj likes this.
  19. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    The characters look to be just as engaging as they were in the core game. I'm very curious as to how they'll be handling combat in this game, as Ellie can't use a gun at any point. Perhaps it will be all stealth sections? Naughty Dog has said there'll be large sections of dialogue and character interaction in between combat encounters, so it should be a good time.

20. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    So is this a direct sequel to American Dreams? Are people who haven't read it going to be left in the dark as to some of whats going on in this DLC?

21. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    Chewgumma My impression is that this is American Dreams. Obviously, it's not going to be copying the dialogue, but the main events at the climax of that book are going to be the same.

22. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

It's not. Ellie already has the knife that Marlene gives her at the end of American Dreams, and from what I understand this is the story about how she gets infected, which American Dreams wasn't.

07jonesj likes this.
  23. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Reading up on it, it seems that it takes place between the comics and the main game.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Since I don't have a PS3 and really don't see myself getting one, I Googled the synopsis of this game. Pretty neat story, if a bit cliched in regards to the single immune person being the gateway to a cure (I believe 28 Weeks Later contained a similar situation, and--to a lesser extent--the movie version of World War Z).

Nonetheless, a pretty good story judging by the synopsis. I also caught a rumor on Google that Sony might actually be looking at adapting this into a movie.

25. 07jonesj

Aug 16, 2010
    If you play the game to the end, it's revealed that Ellie is not the first person to be immune. The Fireflies have done this test (which kills the subject) on others that were immune, and it's never worked.

Besides that, the beauty of The Last of Us is not necessarily it's plot, which is really a simple "get from A to B", it's the characters, the detail of the world and the way the characters and the world interact with each other.

Chewgumma likes this.