main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Is the Emperor really dead?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LANDO_ROCKS, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doom Trooper

Doom Trooper Jedi Master star 3

Jan 1, 2014
    I think he's dead but his evil and influence definitely live on and will be an influence on Ep VII's main villain.

Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Shocking to hear this come from you, and even more, that you like Maul.

I would not be surprised at all if Maul is the ST villain.

The greatest literary writers break or work against conventions (Melville, Angela Carter, Brian Evenson). In fact, this is what real writing is. Painting by numbers is what imitators do, not artists. What we call a unique voice is someone who has so broken from conventions that they have created something totally different.

Popular genre writers tend to be imitators who regurgitate well known formulas that appeal to the masses. The masses only recognize formula. They have not been taught to appreciate difference.

Iron_lord and SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP like this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Yes, I like Maul. I don't want him used in the ST though. I just mentioned this idea because why not? It's worth discussing imo, whether I would like to see this or not.

Hm, I don't think David Lynch is the greatest filmmaker in the world, even if he knows when to break the rule. Using the rule, breaking the rule, the product matters. I myself like to break rules, like using no human protagonist, that's one hell of a break, but I still respect the reasons behind the rules and obey them when I think it will do the end product good.

But when I spoke about conventions what I actually meant are the "rules of the fictional world and the individual story", not the rules of writing in general.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. Palpy daugther

Palpy daugther Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    Palpatin`s ghost turn Luc to the Dark side. And in VII, IX his kids and friends long time returned luc

5. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    As much as I'd like to see McDiarmid back,

I really don't want any character to be resurrected, be it the Emperor, Boba, Jabba, red leader, etc

in the case of flashbacks: nah, not really a Star Wars theme.

In the case of a holocron: maybe that would work, but it would have to work in the right way without it looking like Ben ten.

T-R- likes this.
  6. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    He needs to stay dead. The PT turned him into a cheeseball anyway. It's time for brand new villains and new mythology.

7. Palpy daugther

Jan 9, 2014
    The idea is to pass it as a "thread" of the dark side. Scripting point of view should be the basis - if the new villain just appear, it is not very clear. At Palpatine's a great negative reputation - we can say that in his role from the very exciting.
    I think, we will be disappointed if don't see Pt in SW VII. On the other hand actor no young - is the only minus. In another case, Palpy would have fought in the VII, VIII and IX.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    When we say "dead", do we mean just the body or both the body and the spirit?

Immortiss, Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  9. Palpy daugther

Jan 9, 2014
    I think that as a clone Palpatin not interesting - it is a cheap solution. In this case, we can clone Jabba and other villains last SW, but it sounds like «Endless story».
    But as ghost/spirit – it`s very interesting. In SW III Yoda said Obi Van :«On Tatooin Qwai Gon will help/teach you.»
    Logically, such a case, the Pt also can teach his new Sith-students, and being in the form of spirit in that time. And want to come back to reality again….

Mystery Roach likes this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    When people say dead, they typically mean physical death. Because most cultures hold some kind of view of an afterlife.

Even the Buddhists, who believe the ultimate state of Enlightenment is Nothingness, still imbue that concept with a kind of "formal" existence. A form free from thought, perception, and desire.

11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Come on Dra. Not surprised just a little bit? In the movies he's dead & will have been unseen for what, 60 years? I'd be stunned, in fact I wouldn't believe it.

darklordoftech and Odolwa like this.
  12. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya, After being cut in half by obi-wan and smacked around by sidious, Plus his age by the time ST comes, He wouldn't be a very believable villain honestly

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They brought Maul back once, it wouldn't surprise if they were crazy enough to do it again.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, a little bit. But not really. Why? The Clone Wars are now considered canon. He's still alive there, and half robot. I have no idea how long his species lives naturally, but with the robot parts and darkside, he might in theory be able to live for hundreds of years. Remember, immortality is probably a goal for most Sith. It's not strange to me at all that the films might go with this, especially when his image has become so iconic.

I'm not saying I want Maul.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    A guy who's been cut in half & we've already seen defeated on screen, by a Padawan no less. I think they can probably do better.

Odolwa likes this.
  16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    In a tv cartoon.

17. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    That is canon. :(

18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't stop them bring him back the first time. He's still alive for now. Palpatine could give him something that would keep him alive up to the ST.
    Its all cannon for now.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah people keep saying that. Has GL himself said this? If so where pls. Also even if they are calling it canon there's "canon" & then there's the movie saga, which will always be a story unto itself designed to be watched in order without going off & watching/reading EU. In the 1st Ep he was beaten & cut in half & fell to his apparent death. 5 more Ep's & no sign of him. Cut to Ep7, 60 years later & he shows up? To me this seems impossible - not literally but it may as well be. Most things are under the umbrella of speculation but I'm confident of saying there is a 000.1% chance of this happening.

Dra--- likes this.
  20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Why not just other Zabrak? An army of Zabrak would be pretty cool. *I sound like a teenager*

A Zabrakian Army.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    No problem with Zabraks, just not ones who were beaten by a Padawan & sliced in half 60 years earlier.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    George Lucas is no longer in charge of what's canon. That would be the Story Group, who have said that TCW is now on an equal level with the movies. However, I do agree that the Episodic Saga needs to have an internal logic that doesn't require any other stories to remain consistent with itself.

Circular Logic, Dra--- and Immortiss like this.
  23. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, it's very improbable. But not impossible. I fear it's a greater threat than a Thrawn appearance. Simply due to action figure sales.

I believe Pablo Hidalgo stated that for Lucas the canon is TCW and the films. Period.

It's not surprising because Lucas spent a lot of time working on TCW.

Still, I agree that what he might be willing to do there, albeit canon, he might not be willing to do the same in the films. So they're both true, but more experimental or fan **** things are likely to happen in TCW and Rebels than the films.

I assume Rebels will also be canon now with the introduction of the Story Group.

Circular Logic likes this.
  24. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Maybe from E7 onwards but not for the Clone Wars & the prequels.

25. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Like it or not, all statements from TPTB have said very clearly that Lucas views TCW as canon.

This also means that Obi-Wan's romance with Satine is canon.

Darth_Pevra and Mystery Roach like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.