main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Major League Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Reynar_Tedros, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 likes this.
  2. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    As a Cubs fan, this grinds my gears. Theo should be focusing on making us competitive, not worrying about keeping little kids occupied during the game(obviously watching the kriffing thing isn't important).

At least they didn't resurrect this guy:

[​IMG]

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

3. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Could have been worse. They could have picked this one for the Cubs mascot!

[​IMG]

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That would be an improvement, methinks.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    7 years, 215 million for Kershaw. Lots of money, but if he produces through age 32, he's irreplaceable.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  7. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Because he's 25, entering the prime of his career, and is arguably the best pitcher in all of baseball, this deal more than makes sense/is one I & other Dodger fans ought to be happy with. Of course there's risk, injury wise or if Clayton takes a Linceumeqsue drop off in ability, but considering the financial health of the franchise and how close baseball wise the team is to something great & special, this is a very good risk to take.

Short version: :D[face_dancing]

8. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Why oh why did my parents not push me more with baseball when I was little? $215 million to pitch every 5th day! Is there any better life? I mean seriously.
    Good for the Dodgers though. At least they are giving him all this money while he's still real young, and he's likely to keep producing at a high level for the duration of the contract, or close to it.
    Kershaw is a total beast, but $215 million for a pitcher though...I just...there are no words!

heels1785 likes this.
  9. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    With this deal, I wonder if the Dodgers will still pursue and afford Tanaka.

10. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I sure hope not. We need him in NY.

Tunes, can you pass that along to Earvin?

11. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    The Dodgers new TV deal is paying them something like $250 million per year. I wouldn't say they can easily afford it, but they can still work in Tanaka, especially since Ramirez and Beckett are free agents after this season.

Amazing.

12. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Must be nice.

My Reds can't even get rid of one free agent pitcher, Arroyo. But they did try to rid themselves of the star player, Brandon Phillips. Reds fans are hearing nothing but crickets in this off season.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I don't pity the Reds one bit, I am sorry. If the Yankees had a player with half of the bat of Votto, we'd have made the playoffs. Not only do you have one of the three best hitters in the game, but you've got Bruce and Phillips who are coming off fine seasons.

Essentially two aces in Cueto and Latos, and a very strong #3 in Bailey. Then Cingrani is young and promising. Then, yeah, Aroldis Chapman. Y'all are fine to sit tight. :p

We have Captain Cheeseburger leading our rotation of nobodies- at this point, he's a #3 in any other rotation. As for Ellsbury, McCann, Beltran, Brian Roberts, Kelly Johnson..if half of them work out, I'd be ecstatic.

tl;dr- Moral of the story- better to spend no money at all than to waste it on flimsy players and kneecap yourself down the road.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    David Price will be back with Tampa next year, 14 mil for one year. Think it's a solid move, their rotation is scrumtrulescent.

15. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    And the Price trade rumors can begin anew starting next week. :p

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

This surprises me, given their history of making shrewd deals when it's apparent they can't afford (save for Longoria) top shelf talent.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10305223/mlb-owners-ok-expanded-replay-2014]Instant[/url] replay approved for 2014

[​IMG]

Good.

Having Tanaka would be nice, and even with a rotation that's already strong, you can never have enough starting pitching... however, I'd rather (even with his injury issues) the money be spent to give Hanley an extension. In theory the Bums could likely do both, but if a choice has to be made, then they should go with Hanley.

17. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I really don't like the challenge system. I'm glad they're expanding replay, so it's better than nothing. But the whole point of replay is to get the calls right. Joe Torre said this would add to the strategy the manager has to consider. That is, in no way, the right reason to expand replay. Get the calls right. I don't want to watch Terry Collins struggle with trying to decide to challenge a play. And why are calls after the 7th inning granted more importance? A play in the first inning can decide a game just as much as one late in the game. And can managers still argue? Can they run out there, get their five minutes of arguing in and then not challenge? One of the most important parts of replay is not hindering the pace of play and I feel like a challenge system is going to hurt more than help. Probably. In my more rational moments I realize the number of plays that will actually be challenged is probably pretty small. But that doesn't mean this is a good system.

Amazing.

18. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    I agree - not a fan of a challenge system.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    The first $30 million man. It was inevitable, I suppose.

20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I'm willing to wait to see how this goes in the first few weeks of the season before rendering a final opinion.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    WE GOT TANAKA. 155 mil

GO YANKS

22. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  23. Dark Lord Of The Empire

Dark Lord Of The Empire Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2013
    Insane amount of money for a player who hasn't thrown a pitch in the Majors yet. I mean, at least bring him over and have him prove himself a little bit. I always get amused when teams will throw these huge amounts of money in posting fees (dumb in the first place) and contracts to players who....dominated in Japan? Good for them, come over here and play in the big leagues and see if you're as good before asking for that kind of money. Really other then Ichiro and Hideki Matsui, what other Japanese players have had sustained success over here? Darvish looks good so far, I'll give him that. And Kuroda has been solid in his career, but not spectacular. But other then that, there have been dozens of Kaz Matsui's and Hideki Irabu's. Even Hideo Nomo, as great as he was in his rookie year, was never the same once hitters figured him out. It's all these unorthodox swings, deliveries, and high leg kicks that don't transfer to the game over here. But GM's are willing to throw all this cash at them. I don't get it.
    Okay, rant over! LOL!

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Blame the Japanese leagues for forcing them to either put up the insane amounts of posting fees to even talk to the players or else they won't let the players test the American market in the first place.

25. AmazingB

Jan 12, 2001
    I don't see how you can blame the Japanese Leagues for the posting fees. They're trying to maintain their own league and keep their stars there, there should be some compensation to them. And the posting fee this year was capped at $20 million which is pretty low. In terms of what he's getting paid, it's pretty clear that's where the market was set, given how many teams went over $100 million for him. He's really just bypassing the team control/arbitration process. Imagine what types of contracts would be given if players in the minors were free to sign with any team for any amount to be called up to the majors, that's all this was. And just think how many players wouldn't pan out if that was the process?

I think if you did a thorough analysis, the only true busts in the group are Kaz Matsui and Kei Igawa. Irabu is seen as a bust, but the Yankees only paid him about $8.5 million for the three years he played for them. That's less than the Mets were paying Bobby Jones at the same time, and he was hardly a star. And Irabu was decent enough in 1998 and 1999. Matsuzaka can be considered a bust if you count the posting fee, but that's a separate consideration from the salary he's paid.

The biggest concern with the contract is the Yankees are giving him a 7 year deal and 7 year deals never work out for pitchers.

Amazing.