main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The "What-If?" Depository - ALL conceptual/hypothetical conversation goes here

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SithStarSlayer, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Palpatine followed him to the Jedi Temple, arriving just after he'd finished killing the younglings, to congratulate him: something along the lines of "You have done well, Lord Vader, now go and bring peace to our new Empire".

2. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    Yes, I just rewatched it and realized it's a different scene! Oops. Good catch and thanks!

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Problem solved

4. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Dude Darth Sidious is a clone of Palpatine :p

Another hint is his acceptance speech in ATOC he puts the emperor grim face.

5. Indyrams

Indyrams Jedi Youngling

Jan 9, 2014
    Would it have been better if Anakin's identity been kept secret from everyone?

With only Obi- Wan and Yoda knowing about Anakin being the "chosen one".

Surely if only those two knew.
    The chances of Palapatine finding out and working towards turning Anakin would have been slim.

But most people knew Anakin was the chosen one and everything. So if someone wanted to try to seduce him to the dark side, they would know who to do it to. (Which is what Palaptine did).

6. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Its implied in the Episode III novel that Anakin's very existence may have been orchestrated by Palpatine, through some kind of "dark side" Force magic. This is hinted at in the film, where Palpatine tells Anakin he has that power one moment, then says they must work together to learn it after he's killed Mace.

7. FARK2005

FARK2005 Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2012
    Looking at the movies, Anakin being the Chosen One is only ever discussed by the members of the Jedi Council,, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, and I don’t think it was something that was discussed openly or was common knowledge.

I think to everyone else, Anakin was merely a Jedi exceptionally strong in the Force, and that is why Palpatine became interested in him. If he even was aware of Anakin being the Chosen One, I’m certain it was because Anakin told him. In the end I don’t think Palpatine cared whether Anakin was the Chosen One or not – what mattered was his potential in the Force (which he sensed by the time of TPM).

8. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Welcome to the Boards, Indyrams!

Merging w/ RQT.

9. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    In the context of the film yes but it was really Plaguies's experiments that creates Anakin. this is told in the novel and as soon as Palpatine and Plaguies hear about him they realise what they have indirectly done. I will not spoil the rest.

It is such a narrow minded view at looking only at the movies. In the order it is common knowledge and a big focus on several EU stories. In TCW Ahsoka is surprised to get the legendary "skywalker" and she says we look up to you. From the novel: Darth Plaguies it again tells you that they realise who Anakin is. and must train him.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually their reaction was more "Yikes! Have we caused the Force to Strike Back at us?"

Darth Plagueis,
    page 433-436:
    (spoilered for those who want to read the book first, themselves)
    Dooku chose his next words carefully. "Qui-Gon returned from Tatooine with a former slave boy. According to Qui-Gon, the boy had no father."
    "A clone?" Palpatine said uncertainly.
    "Not a clone," Dooku said. "Perhaps conceived by the Force. As Qui-Gon believes."
    Palpatine's head snapped back "You don't sit on the Council. How do you know this?"
    "I have my ways."
    "Does this have anything to do with the prophesy you spoke of?"
    "Everything. Qui-Gon believes that the boy—Anakin is his name—stands at the center of a vergence in the Force, and believes further that his finding him was the will of the Force. Blood tests were apparently performed, and the boy's concentration of midi-chlorians is unprecedented."
    "Do you believe that he is the prophesied one?"
    "The Chosen One," Dooku amended. "No. But Qui-Gon accepts it as fact, and the Council is willing to have him tested."
    "What is known about this Anakin?"
    "Very little, except that he was born into slavery nine years ago and was, until recently, along with his mother, the property of Gardulla the Hutt, then a Toydarian junk dealer." Dooku smirked. "Also that he won the Boonta Eve Classic Podrace."
    Palpatine had stopped listening.
    Nine years old ... Conceived by the Force ... Is it possible?
    His thoughts rewound at frantic speed: to the landing platform on which he and Valorum had welcomed Amidala and her group. Actually not Amidala, but one of her look-alikes. But the sandy-haired boy, this Anakin, swathed in filthy clothing, had been there, along with a Gungan and the two Jedi. Anakin had spent the night in a tiny room in his apartment suite.
    And I sensed nothing about him.
    "Qui-Gon is rash," Dooku was saying. "Despite his fixation with the living Force, he demonstrates his own contradictions by being a true believer in the prophesy—a foretelling more in line with the unifying Force."
    "Nine years old," Palpatine said when he could. "Surely too old to be trained."
    "If the Council shows any sense."
    "And what will become of the boy then?"
    Dooku's shoulders heaved. "Though no longer a slave, he will probably be sent to rejoin his mother on Tatooine."
    "I understand your disillusionment," Palpatine said.
    Dooku shook his head. "I haven't told you all of it. As if the announcement of having found the Chosen One wasn't enough, Qui-Gon discovered that the Trade Federation may have had the help of powerful allies in planning and executing the blockade of Naboo."
    Palpatine sat straighter in the chair. "What allies?"
    "On Tatooine, Qui-Gon dueled with an assassin who is well trained in the Jedi arts. But he dismissed the idea that the assassin is some rogue Jedi. He is convinced that the warrior is a Sith."

Ignoring the reactions of apprehensive residents and wary security personnel, Plagueis hastened along a plush corridor in 500 Republica toward Palpatine's suite of crimson rooms. He had planned to be at the Senate Building to hear Amidala's call for a vote of no-confidence in Valorum, which would strike the first death knell for the Republic. At the last moment, however, Palpatine had contacted him to recount a conversation he had had with Dooku. The fact that Qui-Gon Jinn had identified Maul as a Sith was to be expected; but Dooku's news about a human boy at the center of a vergence in the Force had come as a shock. More, Qui-Gon saw the boy as the Jedi's Chosen One!
    He had to see this Anakin Skywalker for himself; had to sense him for himself. He had to know if the Force had struck back again, nine years earlier, by conceiving a human being to restore balance to the galaxy.
    Plagueis came to a halt at the entry to Palpatine's apartment. Eventually, one of Queen Amidala's near-identical handmaidens came to the door, a vision in a dark cowled robe. Her eyes fixed on the breath mask.
    "I'm sorry, sir," she said. "Senator Palpatine is not here.
    "I know," Plagueis said. "I'm here to speak with the guest of the Senator. A young human boy."
    Her eyes remained glued on the mask. "I'm not permitted—"
    Damask motioned swiftly with his left hand, compelling her to answer. "You have my permission to speak."
    "I have your permission," she said in a distracted voice.
    "Now where is the boy?"
    "Anakin, you mean."
    "Anakin, yes," he said in a rush. "He's the one. Fetch him—now!"
    "You just missed him, sir," the handmaiden said.
    Plagueis peered past her into Palpatine's suite. "Missed him?" He straightened in anger. "Where is he?"
    "Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn came to collect him, sir. I suspect that you can find him at the Jedi Temple."
    Plagueis fell back a step, his thoughts reeling.
    There was still a chance that the Council would decide that Anakin was too old to be trained as a Jedi. That way, assuming he was returned to Tatooine ...
    But if not ... if Qui-Gon managed to sway the Council Masters, and they reneged on their own dictates ...
    Plagueis ran a hand over his forehead. Are we undone? he thought. Have you undone us?

though other sources like Book of Sith do hint that Plagueis's experiments could have created a "Chosen One" type of being, and I'm told that Star Wars: The Complete Vader states outright that Plagueis's experiments were involved.

11. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    so yes he did then? or know he didn't the whole mortis screwed this all up. (of course) and sorry for not doing the spoiler thing.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I lean to the view that it's both- the experiment created a being- but the Force itself has a will, and it "willed" that this being would have the destiny "Bring Balance by Destroying the Sith that Unbalanced Me"

Of course, it took much longer than expected.

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  13. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    That's a good explanation but does the force have a consionuies?

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends who's writing. Qui-Gon in TPM (as I recall) tells of how, if you listen to the midichlorians, they will "tell you the will of the Force".

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I don't think so because Obi-Wan in EP4 says after Luke "Does the force control my movements" "partially" It gives them nudges but ultimately it is the person who decides. Darth Bane is a prime example here.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure- people have a will. The question is, does the Force has a will as well, which can be obeyed or defied?

17. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Edit: Sorry I didn't notice this was the PT board. I only so the thread title.

18. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    I have no idea but I would say no. ask wookiepedia!

19. Malcolm6490

Malcolm6490 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2014
    Ok my question is: In Episode 1, why is the taking of Naboo so important to Palpatine's plan? Even Qui-gon says there is no reason for the Trade Federation to blockade and invade. I thought it might be a diversion like a magician waving one hand to grab your attention. I just want to see if anybody else has any other explanations. I know Pal is the Senator and once lived on Naboo.

20. Bacrof

Bacrof Jedi Master

Aug 20, 2002

Because it is Palpatine's ticket to higher office. When the Trade Federation forced Naboo to sign the treaty, it would be an embarrassment to Chancellor Valorum. A vote of no confidence could be called and Palpatine would have a chance at winning due to the sympathy vote.

"Due to the ineptitude of Valorum, my people of Naboo are enslaved by the wicked Trade Federation! We must replace him to make sure this never happens to another peaceful world as it did with Naboo!"

Valorum threw a wrench in the works when he sent the Jedi to force a settlement with the Trade Federation. If the Jedi managed to force the Trade Federation to abandon their blockade without destroying Naboo freedom, the entire plan would be undone. Valorum would be a hero for finding a peaceful resolution, instead of an inept fool.

21. Malcolm6490

Malcolm6490 Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2014

Makes sense to me.

22. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
  23. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Well if you read Darth Plaguies it explains about the exploitation of Naboo and it's resources the chamber at the end of the film shows it. The TF want these resources so when sideous offers it to them they become servants to him. It is also because he wants the chancellorship as well -previous post explains it. He also wants to use Naïve Padme because he was friends with her parents and he knows he can easily manipulate her. Anyway just read the book it explains all this.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    Order 66?

I never understood why it was called order 66. Did Palpatine have 65 other orders for the clones we never knew about? Or is there just something significant about the number 66? Is this ever explained in the EU anywhere?

25. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Carrie Walsh likes this.