main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Tupac Was Reportedly Considered for Mace role?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Jan 9, 2014.

1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    I read this over the Time.com
    Now I found that he was reading fro Mace hard to believe from what i recall back then. I read years ago that Mace was written for Jackson cause he wanted a role in the movie. Also I don't think any casting or any work on the movie started until after 1996 (he passed away in 1996). If i recall back around 95/96 we all still were hearing rumors like kenneth branagh was up for a role as Obi-wan. Remember that rumor? It was HUGE but seems to be nothing to it.

Anyway, here the full story:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2014/01/08...d-for-a-role-in-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Seems a tad too 2nd hand.

WhiskeyGold likes this.
  3. Calgamer

Calgamer Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2012
    That would have been.... interesting.

4. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Wow my favourite rapper in Star Wars... To quote Watto... A JEDI WHAT DYA KNOW!!!!!!!

5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Most young people don't know that young tupac shakur studied acting and ballet, before relocating to Cali... the Humpty dance jump started his career. Starin at the world through my rearview, Phil Collins mix is my fav, and hail mary... Dude could act as a rapper, but I cannot see him as Master Windu.

SlashMan and windu4 like this.
  6. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah Pac was a talented dude when it came to performing arts. Its how he met jada pinkett smith. I don't know I think he could have nailed it (note this is the 2pac stan within me thats saying it). I'm just imagining how those scenes with Anakin could have turned out or even the fight with Jango Fett. [face_thinking]

7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Sam Jackson's Mace Windu is the face of the Jedi Order on Coruscant, I just can't see anyone else in the role.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  8. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    True....I'd say Sam Jackson has a nice combination of authority, style and badassery.

9. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    i think the topic got off, i was asking if the story sounds true? Wasn't casting and other things done after his death?

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    It sounds like complete bollocks.

WhiskeyGold likes this.
  11. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I am Mace Windu, and this rumor is false. I was destined to be played by Sam Jackson. :p

12. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    The key word being "act". He is/was by far the most overrated MC in hip-hop history. Thank god this didn't happen in Ep1 (assuming it's true)

13. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    I wouldn't go that far.... Was he a rakim or kool g... nah but he was dope regardless. Makaveli is till one of the greatest hip hop albums ever.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Vanilla Ice, appreciates this msg.

Lee_ and Darth Raiden like this.
  15. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    I'm from he hood I'm from the hood [face_laugh]. He wasn't fooling anyone.

I'm just trying to imagine him putting Anakin in his place.

Lee_ likes this.
  16. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    "Overrated" implies underserved popular acclaim - something Vanilla Ice has not had in 20 years.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
  18. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    Tupac was just a Hollywood facsimile of real hip-hop in the early 90s. He was the originator of cheesy rap garbage (that spawned and influenced countless amounts similar garbage) and was a big factor in the artistic decline of hip-hop in the mid 90s. Of course that's why he was a pop success.

But even if he were a hip-hop artist I respected, I still think it would have cheapened Ep1. Sam Jackson even kinda felt a little to much like a gratuitous celebrity insert.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  19. Master Agoraphobia

Master Agoraphobia Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Aw man! He would have straight rolled up into that Jedi Council and been like, "You ****** can't see me!"

Sorry, I'll go now.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  20. Big_Benn_Klingon

Nov 14, 2013
    SithStarSlayer I don't think a show about a washed up rapper doing home renovation counts as him being a respected hip-hop artist - probably quite the opposite.

21. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    really I thought that was mc hammer and vanilla ice who did that. Heck just ask 3rd base.Imo Pac topics were more on the verge of what rappers like public enemy, NWA, Rakim and what ice t were all rapping about. this is evident in his first three alums, heck this is across the board in all his albums, listen to 2pacalypse now or strictly for my ******* and tell me there was no early east coast or nwa vibe right there. The only element of cheese that affiliated with pac was the fact he was a back up dancer to digital underground, but even that was shifted when he went solo. And on the contrary the 90's was booming in both coasts not just pac but snoop and the Dogg pound, wu tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, Biggie, Jay z, Big L, Ice Cube, a tribe called quest, Bone Thugz. The late 80's to 90's wasn't labelled the golden era of hip hop for no reason.

Back to the point , it was just a little rumour, my Pac fan in me thought it would have been dope (just like suggestion of Bob Anderson as Dooku), but I generally liked Samuel Jackson in the role.

22. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Other than the Humpty Dance, I'd have to agree... Pac was a psuedo OG, but he had some hard hitting lyrics.
    Dude could rap... but it was all an act.

After California Luv, I could see him in a sequel with Mel Gibson... but not in Star Wars.
    :p

That was my point.

The only place he was to be found was on some DIY show that no other rapper's ever even heard of.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  23. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    We can say that for a lot of rappers :p. but other than that I agree. Oh and you win major points for the reason of edit :D Scarface is indeed dope.

24. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I did a song called Boot Rap with Kool G Rap and Canibus :)

Anyway, I think Jackson was the perfect person to play Windu. However, I think 2Pac could've been great in Star Wars. He was pretty damn good in Gridlock'd and a few other films, and I could see that translating to Star Wars. He had some acting chops, no question, and as one of my favorite emcees, I wouldn't have minded him being in Star Wars.

25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Jackson vs Tupac? That is a joke comparison.