main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2014 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Sandtrooper92

Sandtrooper92 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 31, 2013
    Treadmills are like being in solitary confinement on Devils Island.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I used to run all the time back in college. But I could never stand running on a treadmill. It just grated on my nerves.

3. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    I lift, swim, ride the bike and being a lousy runner so 24 hour fitness is great for inflicting pain and suffering.

Anyone else have a good road bike? STEEL IS REAL BABY!

I have a 2004 LeMOND ZURICH with a complete Ultegra Gruppo.

My pride is a 1984 Colnago Anniverary with Campagnolo gruuppo, town tube shifter

the bike is Purple with the Colnago Emblem stamped all over and then hand painted

in canary yellow. I am 20 lbs away from getting back on. I am 6'0 tall but ride a 53 cm bike

as my legs only run a 30 inch inseam,.

4. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    This is why I'm glad that I use the gym in my complex, if it's busy I just go back later. When I started, I'd aim for times when no one was in there.

So, I've come up with an idea that I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up regretting, but I'm trying a schedule of exercise (aside from regular exercise I really need to start on) of doing a number of push-ups equal to the month x 10 plus the date. I don't know how well this'll work, but it theoretically means a whole lot of pushups by the end of the year, if I don't fail miserably at this.

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    so by the end of the year you want to be able to do 150 pushups? That is a lot.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Yeah, that's where I see this plan breaking down, but I figure..... I'll give it a shot now and see what happens. with a brief break, I can get to like, 30-40 now, so the hope is that if i push this, i can keep improving it.
    If I can't keep up with it, then I'll have to adjust it as this goes, but I'm aiming high. Probably cut it down to m * 5 + d/2, which is only around 75 if I can't keep up.

Souderwan likes this.
  7. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I like running outside but the treadmill has its advantages; I can easily switch from TV to podcasts, your towel and water are right there, etc.

Juliet316 and Healer_Leona like this.
  8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Went for another 4 mile run on the track. Woof.

9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Lowie, I love that you're using (simple) mathematical equations in here.

As to my goals ... still doing better on the eating better, not so much on the working out. Thinking about selling the elliptical and getting a gym membership. When I had a membership in Ohio, I used it a lot, because I didn't want my money wasted. But, with the elliptical here, I find too many excuses.

Souderwan likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've run on the indoor track the past couple of days, not because of the weather but because it's gotten dark before I was able to go. Looking forward to being able to run outside again this week.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That's not going to happen for a month I'm afraid for me.

12. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I have missed this thread. Whole family got a stomach bug from the baby last week. I was out on Tues and Wed, no exercise for me so that means I was really sick. Slow 3 mile jog Thursday, another slow 3 mile jog Friday, decent 3.5 mile run on Saturday and a 5 mile run yesterday. Feeling good again :) Level one of Jillian Micheals 6 week 6 pack this morning. 4 days running in a row means no run for me today, don't want to get injured :)

thebadge what keeps me from getting a bike is the cost and somewhere to store one. Someday when my kids are more grown and independent I want to do a Tri. I am also a former swimmer, still swim when I get a bad running injury.

Healer_Leona and Souderwan like this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Did my first 80 minute row while watching the afc championship game. Should be able to do a 90 minute row next weekend. Then I'll start adding in the intervals.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm going back and forth between a half-marathon and a tri this fall. I can store a bike in my garage but it's a matter of getting a bike and training.

The Achilles on my right heel is mildly irritated at the moment; long story short, I tore all the ligaments in that ankle in 2003 and was supposed to do physical therapy but didn't, so that foot has been a little "off" since. I'm still running but it's probably time for new shoes.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually managed to do a 5 miler outside yesterday since all of the snow was melting. Got to wear shorts too. Now it's ****ing cold out again today.:mad:

Healer_Leona and Souderwan like this.
  16. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea my hoped for rest day has been put off as they are suddenly calling for snow here tomorrow and streets could be icy for days. I'll be headed out to run this evening for sure now.

17. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I'd been slacking off the last few days and hadn't really gone for a run. Then I heard that snow might be coming my way and it was gorgeous outside. Suddenly, I felt overcome by guilt and got my lazy ass off the couch and went for a run. I got in 3.6 miles. I feel better already!

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    5 miles on the treadmill this morning, heading back to the gym this evening. Gotta take advantage of it when I have a small amount of motivation.

19. Runjedirun

Sep 3, 2012
    I got in 3 slow miles Monday night. Snowed here yesterday and very cold temps predicted for the rest of the week so not sure when I'll get to run again. :(

On a brighter note just now was my first morning back to kickboxing in my basement since I was sick last week :)

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I have decided that I can no longer tolerate my expanding waistline. Pre-marriage me would have been very disgusted in his future reflection (but then, he was a fitness snob :p ).

That said, I looked more into Xbox Fitness on the Xbox One and found that there are a ton of free workout videos/routines with a Live Gold membership. Last week I toyed around with a couple of them, including P90X.

Today, however, I committed myself to the Insanity program on Xbox Fitness. Pretty good workout, and fairly manageable to do while at home with the kids. My one kid tried working out to it alongside me, which was sometimes distracting, but it's still better than me not working out at all. Hopefully I continue to force myself to find time to continue with the program, as I'm pretty confident that it will indeed help counter my waistline problem.

21. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Good stuff, Ezio Skywalker. Lot of us in the same boat, so we're here to support.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aha so that way you can return to being an Assassin and stuff right?

23. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I ran 2 1/2 miles tonight; it was about 35 degrees and I was the only one on the outdoor track, which was nice.

Kickboxing is something I used to do regularly and might get back into.

25. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    I attended one kickboxing class because a friend insisted I join her. Never again. When I was younger, I used to practice martial arts, so for whatever reason, I just assumed that kickboxing would be like a martial arts class...and not the spastic cardio hell it really was. :p

Souderwan likes this.