main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should Disney release the unedited original trilogy on Blu-ray or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Carrie Walsh, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013

How long does the New Hope rights restriction run for?

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

ESB and ROTJ run till 2020 but Fox owns the rights to ANH forever

3. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    You'd have to imagine that Disney will go in with a gargantuan offer for the rights the next time the mainstream viewing format updates to whatever passes as the next generation of high fidelity (whatever the 4k equivalent of bluray is?).

Dark Lady Mara likes this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    They might and they might not

5. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    We can't have seen the last ever saga release with the 2011 Blurays... can we?

6. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    That sounds a bit melodramatic to me. Palpatine's appearance being different in ESB, for example, is hardly a major enough issue with continuity to make the OT not work. It's just a vestige of the order in which the films were made. "Not working," to me, means something more like explicit contradictions between the PT and the OT.

What SE or later change was truly required to make the saga coherent, in your opinion?

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  7. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I would love it if they released the 1995 version of the OT. The one where the cleaned up the picture and sound, but otherwise the footage was left untouched. In my eyes, that would be ideal. :)

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Having the original version and the most recent version come out together in Giant boxset just makes sense to me.
    Maybe they'll have the original versions, the trilogy before 1997, the 1997 version, the 2004, the 2006 and the 2011 versions all in one thing eventually.
    Throw us a bone. Lucas can do his thing but give us the chance to watch whatever previous version we want as well. We aren't Lucas, we have our own preferences so give us the chance to watch whatever version we want.
    The old effects don't bother me. Heck I haven't seen the 97 version or don't remember them if I had and I would like to do so. They are a part of Star Wars history whether Lucas as of 2014 agrees or not.

9. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    The thing about Palpatine in ESB is that...the original made more of an impact in the context of the film than the Ian McDermot updated version. It was more spooky and mysterious.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I own the Special Editions, and while I am more nostalgic for the original unedited versions, I am not so much so that I'm going to shell out the money to buy the films again. However, I think Disney would be foolish to not re-release them for all the fans out there that have been clamoring for the unedited versions. Lucas may have distanced himself from the unedited versions because he wanted to push his special editions as the new definitive takes on the Classic Trilogy, but in doing so he's failing to exploit the demand that exists for the unedited versions. Disney has everything to gain by releasing the unedited versions and nothing to lose by meeting that demand.

I mean, hell I have the Alien Quadrilogy box set, and once you pop in those DVDs you are met with the option to watch the theatrical versions or director's cuts of each film. They could do the same thing with Star Wars.

Pop in ANH, then choose if you want to watch the Special Edition or the theatrical version from 77.

11. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    It might be ok to see it as a bonus but we have that on dvd. I just so tired of hearing so called 'fans' complain about it

12. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Why should fans who want to watch the older versions of Stars be penalized because according to Lucas that they don't matter anymore?

14. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Disc and tapes are dead, i doubt we will see any big formate after blu-ray, it will all be downloaded or in a cloud

Carrie Walsh likes this.
  15. Jessie1111

Jessie1111 Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2014
    I hope so, I know I would buy it.

16. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Carrie Walsh

Your OP makes a lot of sense! But when it comes down to it, the only people who really are clamoring for the OOT are people who hate the PT and want to pretend it never existed, so the current cut of the OT really bothers them BECAUSE of the continuity - which reminds them that the PT exists and there isn't anything they can do about it.
    I think its pointless to dredge up something that should be lost to history.

Samnz, Carrie Walsh and Seagoat like this.
  17. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    I'd say yes, because I've actually never seen the original versions of the OT, thanks to growing up in the prequel era. I'd love to see how different they are, and if the changes really are as disgraceful in comparison. Half of my indifference to the changes is because I grew up with them, and hence never had that jarring "Whoa, hold up, what the heck is THAT doing in there?" reaction.

That said, I want to Blu-ray version to stay canon nevertheless, in spite of the more teeth-gnashingly annoying changes like Vader's "NOOOOO!!!" in ROTJ. I still am okay with the vast majority of the changes and continuity glue.

Carrie Walsh likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So we hate the PT if we want the OOT? :(:confused::rolleyes:o_O:oops:[face_hypnotized][face_phbbbbt][face_plain][face_talk_hand][face_shame_on_you]
    The OOT should be viewed by every fan at at least once.
    That set is the one that made Star Wars what it is today. Without it all of the more recent editions wouldn't exist. I'm not suggesting having them at the expense of the newer ones but to throw them out because they are old and not cannon? Give me a break. Kick back and enjoy the show. You're watching history. Awesome history at that.

Darth_Nub likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Rubbish, and you know it. Don't go making such ridiculous generalisations towards other fans.

EvilQ likes this.
  20. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    OR, some people just like different versions of the films and you're making unwarranted assumptions. Do people who prefer to watch the theatrical version of Fellowship of the Ring automatically hate the Extended Cut?

Do people who liked and still like puppet-Yoda in TPM automatically hate the blue-ray version with CGI Yoda? Your thinking is very binary.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    So then your opinion on it would be contrary to Star Wars as a whole.

No they shouldn't. The less people who even know about it, the more happier Star Wars fans there will be.

It isn't rubbish from what I've seen around here and elsewhere. The people who like the PT will at worst say "meh, its history, I suppose it could be interesting as an extra". The people who don't, will rage about all that "horrible PT stuff added" (aka continuity changes) and demand the pure "unadulterated" OOT to satisfy that hate. I can provide quotes. LOTS of them!

Probably. Otherwise why choose a shorter inferior cut over a far superior longer cut?
    For example, I prefer the theatrical An Unexpected Journey over the extended because I hate the songs Bofur and the Goblin king sing SO much, it overshadows the good stuff added.

The fact is, unless you hate something about the new one (aka continuity with the PT) there is no reason to have more than a passing glance at the OOT. I was so much happier liking the OT before I knew there was an older, inferior version which certain fans think is the only good one.

22. sharkymcshark

Dec 12, 2013
    This intrigued me.

Why should it be lost to history? Arguably history is a reason that A New Hope especially should be available in unaltered form. It changed the way that films were both made and perceived, globally. Arguably if any film should be preserved in its original state it should be A New Hope.

Just like you seem to think that the current version is the only good one?

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Jarren_Lee-Saber
    Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but it certainly doesn't apply to me. I like the PT, I also happen to prefer the OOT to the Special Editions. The two aren't mutually exclusive, regardless of the opinions of a number of users you've observed, however many of them.

24. StarWarren

StarWarren Jedi Master

Jun 28, 2003
    i bought the PT on bluray, but i refuse to buy the OT on bluray.

i don't mind the changes made to TESB and ROTJ, but i can't stand many of the changes made to ANH.

25. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    The "Changes to the OT" thread is actually an entire thread for proving my point!

Awful, awful stuff like this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.