main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    True, he could be used more than once. If they even use him at all, that would be awesome, though. And looking at how TCW look characters from the EU and used them in unique ways, I hope it would happen. He is a fairly big non-movie character, one of the few that's probably actually made the jump to being recognizable as, say, Nien Nunb. But Thrawn as the overall ST big bad? Nah. Seen it already. Gimmie something unexpected and new. But I would love it if the character was used ala Vader in ANH or ROTJ or maybe Maul in TPM. If it's just "hey, Admrial Thrawn! Go blow up the good guy base!" "Yessir!" I think that'd be pointless. Even if they just wanna use him like Maul and kill him off at the end, if he has a significant portion of villany in a film and some of his distinctive characteristic quirks, I'd be very cool with that.

Trebor Sabreon and plaidphoenix like this.
  2. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    The only part of the EU I would be overly happy to see would be Korriban, and the Massassi Temple/Jedi Academy.

They can use the kids names too, but I'm not bothered if they change them.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It has worked quite well in Marvel's current model of taking fan-favored familiar characters and ideas but basically rewriting the script for the hows & whys of them.

4. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah no, If Thrawn were used like Maul was, that'd be crap. Maul was a non-character. He was a silent thug who stood around and looked cool, and got like three lines in the entire movie. Thrawn is far too interesting and complex to be reduced to that. You'd be taking a great character and turning him into nothing. In fact, he's too interesting and complex to be a lackey period (like Vader was in ANH) now that Palpatine is dead. As for "gimmie something new" the Sith are not new, they've been in EVERY movie..

TKT likes this.
  5. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They could easily change that and just have him speak English.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please use "edit" rather than double post. Thanks, sir. Or ma'am.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maul had almost the same ammount of lines in one of the 30 second trailers as he did in the actual movie... I've always found that very sad in hindesight.

TKT likes this.
  8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Great points and I agree with a lot of them. However the thing with Star Wars though is, unlike Marvel or DC with their films is that they are a movie franchise that does not adapt literature made by them. In other words, a Star Wars movie is not an adaptation movie like every superhero movie that shows up every year which is somewhat unfortunate but also understandable. My dream is to have people like Timothy Zahn or Troy Denning as a consultant writer but clearly they want an "original story". I guess seeing as there are a lot and perhaps too many adaptation movies in Hollywood at the moment, they don't want to fall into that sort of bracket, which in my opinion isn't really a problem for me.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm not saying use him EXACTLY like Maul is in TPM with as little dialogue and so forth but more use Thrawn as the secondary back-up to the main baddie. Thrawn would be the primary force of antagonism in the film but not the be all end all of the villiany. Maybe Dooku in Ep. 2 would be a better example (Sidious is the bad guy but he's only in, like, 1 scene and Dooku is the bad guy of the movie). I don't think Thrawn as a primary antagonist for the entire ST would be a good move because all it would do is create (probably unfavorable) comparisons to the Thrawn Trilogy. And I don't exactly want to see the ST be a straightforward adaptation of that story, it would take away tension for the audience who know the story. But I think using him as a piece of the overall puzzle, one of various baddies that populate the film but with more development and screentime than, say, Admiral Piet, would be an good choice.

As for the Sith of it all, lightside will fight darkside at some point in the ST. It's a given. It's a thing. It will definitely happen. If they're technically Sith or not is a matter of debate but we are gonna see the blue lightsaber dude vs. the red lightsaber dude.

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Thrawn as complex and multidimensional? I remember that back when I read the Thrawn Trilogy I found him to be the only enjoyable thing about the books. But he is just an arrogant Space Sherlock Holmes who wants to rule the galaxy. He thinks of himself as noble while at the same time killing billions with his conquests, as is fitting with his arrogant nature.

And that's about it. He has few desires, dreams, fears, only his goal for galactic domination.

Mystery Roach and Dra--- like this.
  11. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    The way the Empire came down in the Bantam era was done pretty well IMO, I never bought the idea of the whole Empire being defeated overnight after Endor. Another 15 years of war, the New Republic struggling to establish itself while the Empire slowly disappears, and all ending with a treaty of peace would be a realistic approach to what happened after ROTJ. If they cut off 19 ABY onwards, it leaves room to create a conflict for the ST.

Also I wouldn't mind Luke being married to Mara (really liked her character), but if they come up with something else I will respect it.

Bullhead CIty and Iron_lord like this.
  12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Ben Skywalker
    Jaina Solo
    Allana Solo

13. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    IF you haven't read Darth Plagueis I suggest you do. I'm reading it now so I can understand the potential for him as the main baddie in the ST. Already it has become very plausible and as for the rule of two . . . I won't spoil it here but dont read my next post in the baddie thread. :p

14. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    I'll simply never understand all this Thrawn-worship...

Frankly, if there's a part of the EU I'd want saved, it's not even from the post-Jedi era. Keep Darth Plagueis (and probably Cloak of Deception since one overlaps the other) and discard the rest.

15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    When did Thrawn kill billion? :confused:

The guy took over worlds without a ground invasion but through fear of how easily he bypassed the planetary shields alone. This is one of the things that seperated him from Vader and Tarkin, he only killed civilians once and thats after they attacked him in book 1 of TTT.

TKT likes this.
  16. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Leia's 'uneasiness' at being Anakin's daughter. But expand it to the whole family and eventually every sentient being in the Galaxy. That Anakin Skywalker was Darth Vader and the Skywalker twins having such prominent roles in the post-Empire world should not be something no one has a problem with. No matter how much time has passed.

For a second one, even though you only asked for one, Darth Krayt's Sith empire. Or just Sith in general. Because screw you, Destiny.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Grand Moff Hissa and Commodore Zuggs

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Like killing soldiers who are just protecting their homelands is any better. He was the aggressor, the conqueror. He is the one with blood on his hands.

He is a monster just like Vader and Palpatine were.

And wasn't there a thing about erasing an entire species because he didn't understand their art? That kind of lunacy even surpasses Vader's.

Rawne likes this.
  19. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    lightsabers

I'd keep lightsabers.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    To be more precise- the art provided him with no insight.

No motive was given for "destroying their world" - but it's possible that it was the usual Imperial motive - "subjugating a source of disorder".

The most likely possibility for the species in question, I'm told, is General Grievous's - with the world in question being a colony world rather than the homeworld:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kaleesh–Imperial_conflict

Ryus and Darth_Pevra like this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thrawn did not need a translator in the books. Maybe in Outbound Flight, but not in TTT.

What I would like for the ST, as well as Rebels, the new EU, the spinoffs, etc. is for them to keep the universe, if not the stories. The planets are more or less the same, the species more or less the same, etc. even if Thrawn never existed, or Palpatine was never cloned. Sort of how TCW used Ryloth as the home planet of the Twi-leks, instead of "Twilekia" or whatever.

That being said, I would love it if they sometime in the future made animated adaptations of The Thrawn Trilogy. :D

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Often there ends up being a mix.

Mandalore in the comics, and earlier novels- Lots of jungle

Mandalore in TCW- Lots of desert

Mandalore in books published after TCW's depiction- patchy, with areas of both jungle and desert.

Ryloth in TCW ended up not having "tidally locked" trait it had in the EU, that required the natives to live along the "twilight zone" ;) rather than sunside or nightside.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh... that applies to every badguy. That's a negative character trait, not a negative trait for any character (especially villains on a galatic scale). Honestly, them willing to kill enemy combatants makes me enjoy the story more.

As to the whipping out a species, we have no idea the context of the event... plus it was really just a throwaway comment. You really think he was able to trackdown every member of a interplanetary species and whipe them out? Not even Tarkin got all the Alderaanians, and they weren't even a seperate species... Or where they just some minor tribal species like ewoks, where every member of the species can fight? As stated, its a throwaway line.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    True, some changes were made, but one could still argue that the events on Ryloth in TCW took place in the "twilight zone" ;)
    But still. I would like them to continue using those sort of "EU 1.0" references in the future. The Sith not originally being from Korriban would feel wrong, if you see what I mean.

Iron_lord likes this.
  25. Sith_Knight087

Sith_Knight087 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 5, 2012
    Disney/Lucasfilm are NOT ''destroying'' the EU. They're simply reorganizing it into a the Lucasfilm Story Group and determining whats canon and whats not. What's no longer canon (e.g. the ''old'' Rise of the Empire EU and post-ROTJ EU) will still exist but only as a (what if?) alternate universe.

Ryus and newdawn12 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.