main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's been a while since the arc- but I was under the impression that there was an onscreen night and day cycle, rather than them "crossing the zone".

The Essential Atlas, at least, gave it a 30 hour day and 305 day year.

Given that the relaunched Star Wars Fact File came out this month, and has a timeline that runs from 1000 BBY (Darth Bane & Battle of Ruusan) to 4 ABY (RoTJ) with several EU events mentioned, I find myself suspecting they will keep a lot of pre-RoTJ stuff.

Circular Logic likes this.
  2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Retconning is not the same thing as destroying.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Oh, hm. Been I few years since I saw it, so I might be wrong. Oh well :p

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    It's not a huge problem for me- there's still hot desert, and caves to hide away in.

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It still makes it impossible for me to buy the "he's more noble" angle. He is not a revolutionary freeing an enslaved people. He is a conqueror bringing war to a peaceful galaxy, creating chaos and death just to satiate his delusions of power. His denial about his true nature doesn't make him a better person, just more delusional.

Does it matter if he killed all of 'em? He obviously killed enough, a whole planet or colony I don't care. It's genocide or at least mass murder.

Shows that he is like every other imperial, including Vader, whether he loudly denies it or not.

Sarge likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even if he might have been a bit better early on - by TTT he's become pretty corrupt. But then, being an officer under Palpatine can do that.

Wookieepedia description:

Following the Clone Wars, the Kaleesh were targeted by Palpatine's new Galactic Empire due to their ties to the Separatist movement. For nearly a decade, the Kaleesh Resistance under Bentilais held out until they were finally routed by Captain Thrawn on Oben.
    Thrawn, who was usually able to study his adversaries' art and devise a strategy to defeat them from there, was unable to comprehend Kaleesh artworks, and so levelled Oben with his Star Destroyers; inflicting heavy casualties and bringing an end to the insurrection. Sk'ar survived the deadly bombardment by the Imperial fleet. However, he bore no ill will against his enemy, as he admired their superior technology and tactics and felt his people had died with honor.
    Aftermath
    When approached by Imperial occupation forces under Captain Rel Bentin, General Sk'ar offered his life or his services. Bentin, intimidated by the towering figure of Sk'ar, brought the Kaleesh before Emperor Palpatine. Despite the Empire's xenophobia towards non-humans, the Emperor was impressed enough by the Kaleesh's courage and potential to accept Sk'ar into the ranks of his Imperial armies.

Ryus likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Not saying he is nobel, just saying he's different than previous Star Wars arc types. Clearly he is a villain, but he's a different kind of villain than Vader, Dooku, Grevious, Maul, or the Emperor.

8. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yes, he is a different kind of villain. But he's not more complex or noble than the other. If he is given the right actor he could be a fine addition to the ST. If they keep the whole Thrawn-Pellaeon relationship people might wonder if he is homosexual, not that that's a bad thing.

9. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Er... what?

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    In the recent Sherlock movies there was a lot of that subtext. Thrawn is basically a Space Sherlock and like him he has a Watson.

Add to that that society has changed since the 90ties. Shipping, fanfiction and so on has become a harmless part of youth culture by now. So yea, people will call Thrawn gay, at least if Pellaeon is fawning over his genius like in the books.

11. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    To be fair, let's not attribute the post-ROTJ EU to the entire EU. Many of the stories that happen before ROTJ are pretty good, such as Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison, Darth Plaguies by James Luceno, Shatterpoint by Matthew Stover and so on.

I'd gladly have the entire post-ROTJ EU de-canonized or at least most of it.

The Kulvax Sisters likes this.
  12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I'll play the devils advocate on this one:

ST in theory will take place 10-30 years after, we assume this because the actors are going to be 30 years older. I say 10-30 because I don't see it being sooner than 10 and beyond 30 is really pushing the limits. So for the sake of the argument we'll say EP7 is 20 years after ROTJ. This assumes Han and Leia started baby making a couple years after ROTJ, and their first born is at least 18yo.

So either way they have 20 years to catch up on. So when you say:

"When a movie-only viewer sits down to see the film for the first time, should they be greeted by a Luke Skywalker who has, off screen, been turned to the dark side and back, fought a cloned Palpatine, fought off a galaxy-wrecking alien invasion, fought with his nephew who turned to the dark side, fought off multiple post-Empire Sith threats, and has already rebuilt (and rebuilt) the Jedi Order, with all the imagined conflict?"

I say why not? Because what else was Luke doing for 20 years in between that time? Either way there will be a time gap between ROTJ and EP7 so the fan or the casual person will have several missing years of "action" that our heroes went through that will have to be explained on screen either way.

Anyhow, like I said, I was only saying this to play devils advocate. I'm not even a big post-ROTJ EU fan (I only read pre-ROTJ EU). I cool either way, but my point was to show they have to explain a time gap either way. Do they just say Luke was not doing much the past 20 years? Or do they say he did all that EU action? Maybe we will get a hybrid of both.

Nadoy, werpudel and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    They don't really have to explain what they've been doing for 30 years they just have to show where they are now and leave the rest up to the audiences imagination. For example if Luke is the head of a New Jedi Order then obviously he spent the past thirty years recruiting and training Force sensitives or if Leia is Supreme Chancellor then obviously she spent many years climbing the political ladder. The audience doesn't need every small detail explained to them to understand that they weren't sitting on their butts for thirty years.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Inferring to previous events in-between ROTJ and VII can actually go a long way. Or they could have a 30 minute long opening crawl, but that's inadvisable.

TKT likes this.
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Lots of EU stories and a TV show span the gap between episodes II and III. Many will, by approval of the Story Group, span the gap between VI and VII too, the question is what stories will they be: the old EU, new stories, or some combination there of. In either case, a 30 min scroll is a great joke but not needed. Some of the best parts of all of the other movies was inferring what came before which made a GFFA seem more vast, I see no harm in any inferring of EU event or new events, besides Chewie died... that one won't go over well...

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Or they could finally do a true homage to the silent cinema that Lucas always said he was going for... and just drop narrative text cards in between scenes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BigAl6ft6 and Mystery Roach like this.
  17. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Consider this, the actors who they have been looking at, who could be Luke's son are around twenty years old, which means he would have been born nine, to ten years after ROTJ, in the EU, he was born 26 years after the battle of Yavin.
    Having his son born ten years earlier changes things already.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Callista's child.

19. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    I don't think Callista sells action figures, and the latest actor, Jesse from Breaking Bad has some red in his hair, and he looks like Ben from one of the covers of FOTJ.

Iron_lord and Ryus like this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If he's gonna be the kid of an EU girl, ^this (hint:Mara)

[face_praying]

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    No, you're confusing Grand Admiral Thrawn with Chewbacca the Wookiee.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Chewie doesn't need a translator. We all know that he's constantly cussing.

23. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    So much this. ^

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought that was Artoo? :D

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012