main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social The Artist's Lounge - Social Thread Ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by HanSolo29 , Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    They can't go wrong there and with a great range you can choose from :p

I've restored the previous Hall of Fame. Also heads up that some links might not work anymore due to being moved or deleted from that individual's account. It'll be an ongoing process to collect each piece of art that was created for the challenges, if possible.

2. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I want to wish everyone a wonderful time this period! Happy Life Day!

AzureAngel2 and TrakNar like this.
  3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Started painting something on masonite. Took me a bit to get used to the surface, as it's not very forgiving. None too fond of how slick it is.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Happy New Year

TrakNar I use masonite for my oil-paintings

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd use oils if I had them, but I prefer acrylic and gouache. My studio is in a corner of my living room and I'd rather not fill my apartment with the smell of oils and turpentine. :p

6. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    At present I am so busy adjusting to life in Berlin, having a 40-hour job with kiddos between 2 years of age & 12 years, earning money to run two households in two different countries and hunting flats that I have not painted since ages.

[face_frustrated]

Anyway, I wish everybody a successful & happy 2014!

[:D]

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    [face_party]
    Welcome to the new year everyone! All the best to you all for what is to come :)

I don't blame you. I had to use enamel paints and turpentine for the models I used to build. Need a well ventilated place and not pleasant to do in Summer.

So many inspirational ideas that needs to be put to canvas. At the moment I am planning to do a small animation test, drawing one frame at a time. Fingers crossed it turns out well, just been hard finding time but DRL should be easing up soon.

8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Happy New Year, everyone! :)

It's been a while since I've dropped by here and I really miss it. I really need to get to work on more personal stuff that I can post here (I have an Episode VII themed painting that I want to complete sometime before 2015 :p ).

9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm hoping Topps finally contacts me. That would be nice.

10. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Great to see you HS29! I hope you do get a chance to work on your personal projects this year :)

My fingers are crossed for you, TrakNar.

11. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Strangely enough, I'm finding Wullf Yularen (from The Clone Wars) really tricky to draw. I think it's that damn hairline. I've drawn this guy so many times, and he never turns out right... [face_dunno]

[​IMG]

12. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    If it helps for a RL reference, I do find that he does look a bit like Captain Peacock from "Are You Being Served?"

[​IMG]

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    His chin... It's interesting...

14. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Corellian_Outrider: I used to use enamel paints for models, but then I took a parts sprue to the knee...heh heh.

Actually, a while back I converted to acrylic paints, both the Tamiya line (which is alcohol-based) and Testors' Model Master Acryl range (water-based). I want to try out some Vallejo paints, as they're supposed to be really really good for brush painting on models (most other brands are better served with an airbrush, apparently). Unfortunately, Vallejo are also pretty expensive, especially considering how much more you pay per bottle when the bottles hold less than what Tamiya and Model Master hold..

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Okay, I wonder if I just end up buying bad boards, but when painting on illustration board, does anyone else have to deal with it curling? One of my paintings was done on black illustration board, and the board itself had a slight curve to it. By the time I was done painting, it's almost a halfpipe.

Does this happen to anyone else? Does illustration board just suck in general, due to the curling? How can I fix this? I like my surfaces to be flat. If I wanted to paint on a curved surface, I'd saw a water pipe in half and paint on the interior.

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I'm in a similar position too Goodwood. It has been a long time since I've last built any physical models.

The enamel paints I had used were by Revell and they weren't bad. I do have a mix of Tamiya and Testors acrylic paints but it has been a long time since I've last used any of them. I could have done with an airbrush for some of the models for a smoother application as it doesn't come out so even with the brushes. I'm curious now about about the Vallejo paints though a shame that you have to pay more for less.

I did read about a technique where you do a base enamel coat and then acrylic on top and once the acrylic is set, you scratch some off for the enamel coat to show to give the impression of battle scarring. I plan to test that out next time I get a chance to construct something. I do have a partially constructed T-65 but have no space to finish and display it though. Someday it will be finished.

TrakNar, I have not had much experience with illustration board before, I wonder if there is a way to keep it straight. earlybird-obi-wan, have you had any experience with this?

Goodwood likes this.
  17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    You're definitely not buying bad illustration board - it happens all the time.

I learned a little trick in college that works fairly well. Using gesso to prep your board is the key and you will want to cover the front side of the board completely, taking the brushstrokes beyond the board itself so that you get all of the edges. The board will usually start to curl by this point, but don't worry, that's perfectly normal. Let the board sit until it is dry to the touch and then flip it over and paint a huge "X" on the backside going from corner to corner. Don't be afraid to glob it on. This counteracts the curl and your board should stay relatively flat once both sides dry.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to add another trick that seemed to help. After you have your board prepped, tape it down to a clipboard, block of wood or something along those lines with blue artist's tape. You will want to tape down all edges, running the complete length of the board (not just the corners). Once you are done painting, the tape should lift up fairly easily.

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My boards are black, which I prefer to paint on, so I'll try that with a black wash, as I don't have gesso (I'm lazy and buy pre-gessoed canvas). Thanks!

19. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Corellian_Outrider It's just too bad they don't put out the really good Star Wars model kits of old; these days it's all dumbed-down assembly toy crap that isn't even scaled properly with the other accepted sizes (1/32, 1/48, 1/72, for example). I would gladly trade any two of my 1/350 ship models for the old Fine Molds 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon.

20. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Goodwood, I whole heartily agree. I miss the old models that AMT used to have and they are very difficult to get in the physical stores. The snap together ones that are out just takes the fun out of it. I love to get my hands on some of the Fine Molds models and their Falcon does look impressive.

21. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I
    I have no experience at all with illustration board. Models were built long ago by me from wood, plastic and whatever I could use and painted with oil based paints

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Hoo boy, I need to chain myself to my drafting table soon. It's not that I haven't been productive, on the contrary, my sketchbook has been seeing some use, along with my tablet. I just haven't started on the EU Challenge yet. I've had the strangest urge to paint an extreme closeup of an eyeball...

Anyone else have strange creative urges?

Actually, another question: Has anyone else felt burned-out on a subject?

23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yes! Strange creative urges happens often though most of the time it passes before I get the time to work on it. Things like rendering hair in a certain way or capturing a certain expression or a feature like water on surfaces.

Regarding burnouts, sometimes… I haven't been burnt out yet on a specific subject… just on some elements like rocks and leaves for landscape pieces or a drawing a city. You get over it when you are feeling more refreshed by working on something different and come back or take a bit of a break. What subject has you feeling burnt out at the moment?

I also need to update my art thread too. I have a lot of pieces done though quite a few are original works and not fan related and about half of those are connected to the project I am involved in which I can't show off outside of the team until the project is completed. Part of the reason why progress has slowed down on a number of portraits and works that I have got in development.

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Sadly, I've been a bit burned out on SW. My writing muse is dead and buried in a shallow grave, and I haven't been able to get myself to work on any sketch cards. I've drawn and written so much that... I guess I just need a break. It explains my recent crop of Pokemon images.

What bugs me most is that I have about a ton of SW projects to do and have moved some lingering requests up to the top of the list, but I just can't get myself to work on them.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I can feel your frustration as you know there are things you need to work on but for some reason cannot bring yourself to push further.

You'll need a break or something challenging/inspiring to refresh your batteries. Would alternating between projects help break things up and keep it fresh for you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.