main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Should Disney release the unedited original trilogy on Blu-ray or not?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Carrie Walsh, Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Why is that necessarily so?

Unless you can quote every single person who wants to see the OOT in high quality, your generalization is too broad.

Some people might prefer the pacing of the shorter version.

Though I don't buy that one must hate certain things in order to prefer others, in this case you're saying that you hate certain things about Hobbit version A, so you watch Hobbit version B. You do realize you're arguing against other people being able to do this with Star Wars, right?

So I'm not allowed to be indifferent to the SE additions sometimes, to not even take the prequels into consideration sometimes (no feelings about them either way in these cases), and just want to see the original versions I half-remember?

What if I wanted to watch Star Wars and imagine what the worldbuilding behind it was like at the time it was made, so I ignored ESB while watching it? Is that allowed? Or do I have to hate Empire in order to want to watch the theatrical version of Star Wars (let's say, the one without an episode number in the crawl)?

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Let's try to get this back on topic - Jarren_Lee-Saber don't go telling other people what to think, or make such overarching 'absolute' statements regarding the entire SW fanbase. You don't speak for everyone, and you're not aware of the opinions of every SW fan on the planet. Carry on with this and I will consider it trolling.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  3. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    There is not a single "continuity error" in the Unaltered OT in relation to the PT. So releasing it wouldn't harm the Saga in anyway.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I like that the OT can stand on its own. You can watch those 3 movies all by themselves no problem.

5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Actually there are plenty. Hence most of the changes in the 2004 edition.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Because the PT needlessly added them.

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Every thing is "needless" if you don't like it. Everything is important to the story if you do.
    Every movie in the saga is "needless". You don't "need" Star Wars. Horrible, horrible argument.
    The PT expanded beautifully on the tale, so all of it was "needful".

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    First of all, "canon" isn't really an argument for releasing it or not. I mean, something doesn't need to be officially part of the timeline to be enjoyed, nor would re-releasing an older version automatically bump it above the current edition. I think releasing alternate cuts of the film would go over well.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Name one.

10. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Not that I'll throw a cow otherwise, but I think this obviously should happen. The unknown is if there are still useable masters lying around.

11. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    It astounds me that nearly every other classic film can be had on modern formats in unaltered versions except Star Wars. It's truly a shame and I can't believe that any fan of Star Wars or film defends the choice. It has nothing to do with disliking prequels, changes, etc. but everything to do with preserving a classic film that is considered to be a significant part of film history and popular culture.

I'll do you one better: I think original versions of the Prequels should be kept available to fans as well on the most recent technology.

I like Ridley Scott's comments regarding the director's cut of Alien he was asked to put together for the DVD release of the Alien Quadrilogy. I don't have my copy with me, but after talking about both versions (Scott prefers the original) Scott basically says that they're both available to fans: watch them both and decide what you like. He does the same with Blade Runner and a number of his other films. Why can't the audience be allowed to make a choice?

Honestly, the refusal to release these films in their original formats due to continuity, creative revision, etc, just strikes me as the worst kind of revisionism.

12. GrandAdmiralDave

GrandAdmiralDave Jedi Master star 1

Aug 6, 2001
    I'm showing my age here, but I'd like the original version of the Original Trilogy to be release on Blu-Ray simply because those are the movies from my childhood. Even before they were cleaned up, and before the Special Editions, the Original Trilogy is the Star Wars I grew up with.

This is no reflection on better/worse, superior/inferior or canon/non-canon. It's just the Star Wars that I want to see.

It's surprising that given how much money could be made by releasing the original theatrical releases, that they haven't done so already.

13. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    Yes. And yes.

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    No. And oh god please no!

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    And both can't be released why? Current version of the story and original. I fail to see the problem. Isn't there a feature for some movies to pick between 2 versions? Also didn't the 06 version have the original and the 04 version in seperate DVD's? I'm sure people can read the fine print.

16. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Absolutely! I think they should certainly be released, if only to preserve a set of classic films. From there, fans can then decide which version they prefer to watch and be happy.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Jarren_Lee-Saber You know I agree with like pretty much everything you say, but that was a liiiitle harsh stating that the SE's and stuff are automatically superior. It's exactly like what you're protesting - people who claim the OOT is perfect and the current OT is inferior. Both are stated as an absolute, and as we know.... "Only a Sith deals in absolutes"

I mean, I personally love the 2011 versions most too, but film is a subjective thing. People are entitled to their opinions

18. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    They should do what they feel is right - as long they honor the deal they made with GL.

Mickey Mouse
    /LM

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    But...but....I AM SITH!
    No? Sorry. :(

I would be WAY more pro-multi-version releases if I didn't see this kind of stuff: http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Ori...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

Seagoat likes this.
  20. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Because this is art, not public service.
    Lucas is an artist who managed to secure complete creative control over his films, unlike all other blockbuster directors. Scott may be fine with giving the fans a myriad of different cuts to choose from, but that's not GL's style. His vision is too important to him to give us that freedom of choice.
    Frankly, I'm thankful for that, because I can't stand it when artists release several editions at once, like they can't make up their own damn mind. If they can't decide, how can they expect us to?

Cuts are plentiful
    /LM

21. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    So, if da Vinci were alive today, you'd have no problem with him drawing a moustache on the Mona Lisa with a Sharpie?

Yeah, fortunately I have the DVD set that includes the original theatrical releases as bonus discs.

22. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    If this were art that Lucas cared so much about the artistic integrity of, he wouldn't have just sold it to Disney. Or merchandise it on every product under the sun. I respect Lucas but let's stop pretending that a film series that he collaborated on with hundreds of other people (probably thousands, actually) and allowed two other directors to direct installments in is some kind of 100% unique artistic expression. He didn't film these independantly with his own money in his basement. Lots of other people contributed to the success and the people that Lucas sold the product too (studios and moviegoers) responded.

23. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    SithHorseman
    No, I wouldn't mind one bit. It's his art and he can do whatever he wants with it.

Barbecue17
    I'm not pretending anything. Lucas had the vision and he was the one who made it happen. He was The Artist behind Star Wars and all other artists who worked on his movies were his collaborators, his tools. Those are facts.
    Those facts do not mean that he couldn't be a businessman at the same, though. "Artist" and "businessman" aren't opposites. He used merchandising as a tool to ensure that he'd be able to keep making his art his own way.
    Selling to Disney wasn't something he did for the money (obviously, since he gave it away), but to keep LFL and its franchises protected. He's found people that he trusts, people who will honor his legacy beyond his death. He's even provided them with scripts and ideas to last them a hundred years, according to himself.

To think that he doesn't care about his art is plain ignorance.

George cares
    /LM

24. Barbecue17

Nov 11, 2013
    So if these get released on Blu-ray, is Lucas' artistic then integrity compromised?

25. Ezekial

Ezekial Jedi Master star 3

May 24, 2002
    I think that the failure of the prequels is obvious in how many prequel fans...disparage the OT.

Because the prequels pretty much spoiled many of the major turns in the OT.

A well-done prequel trilogy would have contributed to the OT, adding more depth to existing characters there, while maintaining mystery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.