main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Complete Recordings

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Darkslayer, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Just a question, why have they not been released? It seems like they would be really popular and I can't imagine it's that expensive to release them on iTunes. I'm mainly looking for glaring omissions from the Ep 2 and 3 soundtracks, like the all the Geonosis stuff in 2 and Mace vs Sidious in 3.

2. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Honestly-I used to think it was the really negative reaction to the TPM: UE (which isn't a complete recording, but moving on :p ) but that was twelve years ago, so I doubt that's it.

3. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I wrote in another thread, I would really like to see a definitive CD release of the PT soundtracks, similar to the Sony release of the OT soundtracks, including the full scores, extensive liner notes and unreleased & alternate versions.

TX-20 and mes520 like this.
  4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe (and hopefully) such things will be released along with the Sequel Trilogy in a few short years

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I don't need CD's just put them on iTunes! It's not hard at all lol

6. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I need the CDs, as my computer is a bit outdated and doesn't handle other media very well.

7. SWfan1020

SWfan1020 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 15, 2013
    I think one might have been taken off due to copyright violation, but on Youtube, complete musical scores for the entire length of all the movies were posted. I do not know what the source of the complete recordings was is the soundtracks were not released on CD, but they sounded authentic.

8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    There's a LOT on YouTube. The aforementioned tracks you are looking for are indeed there and sound pretty clean. I suggest downloading the tracks you're looking for once you find them, they are removed with some frequency.

I'd very much be interested in an official release of the complete PT soundtracks. Perhaps the handover to Disney will make that easier in the future, kind of depends on how long Sony Classical has the rights. Sony does not understand the fanbase for movie scores AT ALL. There are much better hands the SW scores could be in.

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    TPM: UE is on there, but in two versions. One with several tracks put together in one long session, like with the OT: SE's and then individually. AOTC is incomplete. The only new stuff that is complete is when the first assassination attempt took place, Anakin and Padme arrive on Naboo, when Obi-wan arrives on Kamino and then everything from Anakin's confession in the garage to Yoda saving Obi-wan and Anakin, are available. Obi-wan's report is available, but it isn't clean as audio from the film is heard faintly. ROTS is mostly there and is put together like TPM, but excludes recycled bits from TPM and AOTC. I think ROTS is mostly taken from the video game's soundtrack, where you can listen to the individual tracks from the film. The end of Anakin's turn and Palpatine's orders, features a few audio bits from the film. Mostly just randomly put in there. When Padme arrives on Mustafar has some of the sizzling from the lava bursts in the background, but is absent when "Anakin's Betrayal" plays again, when Obi-wan makes himself known.

There are also complete versions ripped from the movies audio stems and apparently cleaned up, but you need a lot of space on your hard drive and an editing program to divide them up into smaller tracks, in order to burn them to a disc, or place them on your portable music device.

That much is the truth. Sony doesn't understand that simply using the audio stems for the UE was not a wise choice. This should be obvious given the sales on the OT releases, once the rights went to them, from RCA.

10. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    DS, I would wager you and I could go on for pages about the problems with the TPM:UE. Every note of John Williams' score..." Baloney! Even the 'unused' track was indeed in the movie! In the exact spot on disc where it appears in the feature- and source music nonetheless! Oh, I'm getting all worked up just thinking about it again. You know, I even entered Sony's giveaway contest and won a copy! Didn't get it for a good two or three months until after the thing was already released and had bought one in the meantime. So here I am with two copies of the thing. BLARRRRR!!!

RCA did a damn good job with the OT scores. It would be a dream come true if the PT scores landed in the hands of Varese or La-La Land or some publisher of that ilk.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hope we get the extended editions of AOTC and ROTS eventually.
    Hope we get nice and long versions of the soundtracks of the ST movies.

Darkslayer likes this.
  12. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, I'm not as angry as you are, though you have good reason. I didn't buy the set when it came out, as my funds were seriously limited at the time. I've only used Youtube rippers last year, simply in the belief that LFL and Sony could get something done at some point. Same with AOTC and ROTS. It would be interesting to hear the final recording sessions and true alternate cues for TPM, but right now, I'll take what I can get. Using the stems from the film doesn't bother me much, mostly because the "Friday The 13th" boxset did that and that's about the best you can get with films I-V. VI was the only one not that way, though it was second generation recordings.

Only if Sony doesn't have first option.

Mr. K likes this.
  13. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    If you can find them, Charles Gerhardt's recording with the Nat'l Philharmonic did amazing covers of the OT's soundtracks. They are an improvement in fidelity and audio quality. I'd even go as far as saying the performance was better than the LSO for the ESB disc. There are some YouTube vids of some of these recordings. Here's one of my favs, the only recorded concert suite of 'Han Solo & the Princess' that I know of...

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I have the TESB CD which has thirteen tracks, including the concert version of "Han Solo And The Princess" and "The Asteroid Field". I got that back in February of 96 and still have it today. Whenever I listen to TESB SE, I toss that disc in for the two concert tracks before starting disc two. I had the CD with the concert tracks from ANH and the medley from "Close Encounters Of The Third Kind", but got rid of that back in 01 or 02. Long story as to why. Getting ROTS in 05, I was able to replace the extended version of "The Throne Room" in the end credits, which was a fair trade.

Mr. K likes this.
  15. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    The ROTJ one was also exceptional. Had interesting suites of the Sail Barge Assault and Into the Trap. Also had that wonderful orchestral version of the Ewok Celebration. Yub Nub!

Shame Gerhardt wasn't still around when the PT was released. Would have been great covers.

16. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I would also love Complete Recordings. Especially if they're as good as what was done for the Lord of the Rings.

Darkslayer likes this.
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Some of us want them on CD, because we don't have an iTunes account and aren't going to sign up for it.

TX-20 likes this.
  18. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I'm old-fashioned. I like media I can hold in my hand. I even transfer my MP3's onto disc.

TX-20 likes this.
  19. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Same here - my car doesn't have a facility for MP3 players, but it'll play MP3 discs, so I can burn about 10 hours worth of music onto a single disc.

And, yeah, I love buying an actual album. Liner notes, a physical item you can put on the shelf - plus there's the option of converting the content at much higher quality than MP3 (WAV or AIFF).

Bloody kids these days don't get it.

[​IMG]

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

I do as well. That way, I always have a back up and I don't have to worry about removing content from my player. Or if my computer has to be reformatted due to a virus. Yes, with the Cloud it isn't an issue these days, but I'm old fashioned. Besides, depending on how the complete recordings are handled, it might not even make it out on the commercial market. "Superman: The Blue Box Set", "Batman", "Batman Returns", "Batman: The Animated Series", "Batman: Mask Of The Phantasm", "Friday The 13th Parts 1-6", "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" and "Superman Returns" are all items that I have which are expansions of the original release, or first time availability and they're not on iTunes. So I have to buy them from Film Score Monthly and La-La Land Records.

Ten hours? I never got one that can hold that much. I've only ever used these.

[​IMG]

Mr. K likes this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    That refers to the duration if you burn a straight audio CD. If you burn an MP3 CD (it's an option in iTunes) the limitation is based on the total size of the files, not the duration, so your standard CD-R will fit 700MB of MP3s, no matter the duration of the tracks.

Just how much you can fit will vary due to the quality at which the MP3 files were ripped (128, 256, 320 etc), but a compilation for me will usually be between 8 & 10 hours. With some audio books I've burned to CD (encoded at an even lower rate) I managed to get closer to 20 hours.

The catch, however, is that a normal CD player won't necessarily play MP3 CD's (much as most DVD players won't play AVI files). Fortunately the one I've got in my car will, but not the one on the stereo at home.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, that explains that.

23. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    It's not just a case of UE's of the PT - but a complete overhaul of the OT scores. The RCA/Sony releases of ESB and ROTJ suffered an incomplete release of each with flipped channels, compressed horn sections, alternate cues (Battle of Endor III especially). But ANH was a fine score release (The 97, not 2004) The best sounding releases for ESB/ROTJ but sadly more incomplete were the Fox 1993 releases from the Anthology box set.

Now if Disney sees the right way - we'll get the complete, unaltered, original mix soundtracks with all cues for all 6 movies (including Annie Arbogast/Michelle Gruska's Sy Snootles vocals for Lapti Nek and the source cues for the Max Rebo Band) as well as some unused cues from either film. Even though I am not a fan of the PT - Williams' original score for AOTC was cannibalized in the editing process with a stack of remixed TPM cues edited in. I'd love to hear the complete recordings.

As for physical media - they have to be. MP3's are basically swapping cash for an invisible purchase. You can hear it, but you can't hold it. This is a person who bought 5 copies of the limited vinyl releases of TPM (One to play and the others as sealed collectibles)

I just hope if they happen, they all will be universal releases and not just a limited edition 3000 unit release by like Predator or Ghostbusters (thankfully I got both in the end).

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    It was my understanding that the Jabba source music was lost- the Arbogast Lapti Nek and the cues when Chewbacca is taken away & that jazzy bit on the sail barge. Would be a welcome find if those were released. I loved the Anthology set. They did indeed sound better on my hifi than the RCA/Sony releases.

fuzzbox77 likes this.
  25. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    They have claimed to be lost. But being a musician myself and I have seen how a recording studio works and knowing some once primarily successful vocalists/musicians who have access to their own past recordings via record companies/studios - this is not the case...

As the story goes, when they were making From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga - the cues were given to Fox Television for inclusion. The original tapes were supposedly not returned.

HOWEVER - Fox nor LFL would have the original DAT master tapes that were recorded in the Spring of 1983 leave their possession as they would be used as direct mixing for any subsequent further re-releases (like the remixed audio for various re-releases of each Episode of the OT on VHS), but alternate spooled copies for inclusion within the documentary from their own source, or if unobtainable at the time - sourced from LFL/Williams.

Furthermore - since the release of the 1997 Special Edition and the changes that were made - the source cues were apparently still in the vaults but due to Lucas being unhappy with them years later - refused their inclusion. NOW, Williams would have copies of all the work/cues he wrote and recorded for these movies, as would Joseph Williams (Multitracks for Lapti Nek: film/LP/Club/Dub as well as his own release under the name URTH), 20th Century Fox and LFL. But LFL were the ones who were asked for source material for the releases of the scores. Just as bands like The Rolling Stones, Queen and The Beatles - they all have vaults in private offices with copies of the master tapes and unreleased material whilst EMI/Virgin and now Universal would have these for subsequent re-issues as well as multi-track elements in their own vaults.

So all in all - they are still present in multiple private collections and not "Lost" as it has been suggested.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.