main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Yes, my interpretation based on what Yoda says and what words mean.......

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    After a "agree to disagree" statement, it's best to let it go.

3. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Why do we assume that the Empire won't be alive and well....and fighting an active, hot war? The celebrations at the end of ROTJ could be short-lived ala 2003 Iraq. Just sayin...

4. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Then best not put "agree to disagree" after a statement that I'm interpretating when I'm taking it directly from the material we are discussing.

Ryus likes this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Since we have more movies, the happy and conclusive ending of ROTJ is gone imo.

6. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    After what will presumably be three decades after the end of the original trilogy? I rather the new trilogy have a new antagonist.

7. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    3rd party? Potential ally to the Rebels?

8. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Pro Scoundrel and Ryus like this.
  9. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Unless the new movies start a completely new story.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    :oops::( o_O[face_plain] You do know that the movie is Episode 7 right? 7 comes after 6 correct?
    This isn't Episode 1 of Saga 2.

11. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    The happy ending of ROTJ still stands. That ending does not mean that bad will never happen again. Nor does it mean that the Empire as a political entity is no longer a thing.

Mystery Roach and EHT like this.
  12. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Doesn't mean the same story is just going to continue on.

Star Trek 2 came after Star Trek 1, it was part of the same series but the two movies had very little is common except the main characters.

TheBBP likes this.
  13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    After the first 6 movies continuing 1 story line you you really think they would change that now? o_O
    Would they really risk fan's ire by going and doing their own thing? Yeah Lucas does whatever the heck he wants but he will continue the 1-6 storyline.

14. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    In no way are they beholden to the same enemy for this new trilogy. The players will stay the same. The focus will probably remain on the Skywalkers. However, the threat will likely change. For all we know the happiness at the end of ROTJ could have been lived over the last 30 years.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  15. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

If that first story line is finished, yes.

Again lets look at Star Trek. Moveis 2-3-4 all continued the same story, but it ended in the 4th movie so the 5th was about something completely different.

Undoing a 30 year old ending would be risking the fans ire.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Star Trek is a bad comparison to Star Wars. Star Wars is a saga with one on going story. Star Trek isn't.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    We still have the Jedi Order needing to be rebuilt, the Rebellion becoming the dominant government of the galaxy etc. The current Saga isn't over yet by a long shot.

18. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    TheBBP likes this.
  19. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I don't think force ghosts should remain around forever either. I think they should only be able to materialize for those with whom they bonded during their life (and who are force sensitive, of course), and so once everybody who they bonded with dies they have no reason to materialize for anyone else regardless of whether they can still keep their identity in the afterlife forever or not. Future generations would have their own "dearly departed" ;) to get guidance from provided those departed were also taught the way to retain their identity in the afterlife. The time limit set in the Thrawn Trilogy just seems random and unlike something the "all powerful" Force would provide though acceptable if it's picked up by the ST. Just an idea.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan leaving in Heir to the Empire and appearing in Rebirth and The Unifying Force worked for me.

Ryus and ChildOfWinds like this.
  21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Personally speaking, I wouldn't find it all dramatically satisfying if the ST was awash in Force Ghosts. Honestly, I could be fine with just Anakin. That's Luke's dad. Walked both sides of the line. Kinda important. Force Ghosts are basically just around for giant exposition dumps anyway so you can have Anakin do that.

Evil Palpatine Force Ghost I would be cool with also but his Force Ghost afterlife should not be all blue and glowy and happy as the other ones we've seen. The point of "Sith" is the irony that the Sith can't cheat death. So Palpy Force Ghost can be a rage-filled monster or whathaveyou.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  22. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Or they can skip all that (considering its probably been 3 decades by the beginning of the movie) and deal with the repercussions of the fall of the Empire in an indirect way, such as a balkanized galaxy, anti-Force-user feelings, the public finding out about who Luke's father is, etc. As all of this is happening, the protagonists will have to deal with a new threat to the galaxy. There's your tie-in for the Saga.

TheBBP likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The problem I have with a story like this is does it need to be told? My biggest fear for the ST is that there's really no storytelling reason behind it and it's just sequels for the sake of sequels. I want the ST to be absolutely necessary to understanding the entire story like the PT and the OT are and I just don't think a story like that or Luke just rebuilding the Jedi Order and the Republic for that matter fulfills that requirement. We get the idea that those two things are going to happen at the end of ROTJ anyway so what's the point of Episode VII when the threat that reveals itself in Episode I is vanquished and the last part of the story has only tangential connections to it? If we think of the Star Wars saga as a three act story then the ST is the final act where the threat escalates before the final resolution. It can't be a new threat because then the ST isn't a continuation of the same story like we've been told. There will be time for new stories to be told but this is the ending to the one that started in '77.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hah, I don't see "path of immortality" as a reason for Jedi to stick around forever. They can also vanish by choice.

Which is what they did in ROTJ.

How many years is the advice of Yoda and Obi-Wan relevant? A hundred? A thousand? How long before they don't understand modern times?

I thought clinging to things is greedy in the GFFA. That was one of the reasons why Anakin fell.

Obi-Wan is not greedy, correct, which is why he hopefully won't be in the ST. He had to stick around before because the Jedi were so weak and low in numbers.

25. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    True wisdom remains relevant no matter how much time has passed.

It is clear that the more Luke learned about the Force, the more he respected - revered even - Yoda. I don't see why you think that 30 years later he would lose that respect or reverence for his former master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.