main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Was anyone looking forward to Sword of the Jedi ? I think it could have been quite good but now it looks like it will never see the light of day , Christie Golden probably worked quite hard on this....Disney should give her a nice cheque for putting it on hold indefinitely........

2. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I was looking forward to the 'Sword of the Jedi' trilogy. With no idea how the ST will treat the post-RotJ EU--whatever way it does, it will likely not be good for fans of the EU--it has made it more difficult for me to continue investing in stories taking place within those eras. I just ordered Crucible online because, even if the post-RotJ EU as I know it is to be obliterated, at the moment I am riding a streak of renewed enthusiasm for the SWU.

Odolwa likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Crucible will take that enthusiasm away.

Then again maybe not. You aren't me so you might be able to stomach that mess of a book.

Ryus likes this.
  4. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Star Trek 2-3-4 was one story, its a perfect comparison. Just because Episodes 1-6 are one story doesn' tmean Episode 7 has to be the same story. Comic books are another good example. They'll have the same story going on for 6-8-12 issues then start a new story with the same character.

Great that you don't see it that, but its what Yoda called it and what they wanted/needed. And they don't "vanish" in RotJ.

Force ghosts can inter act with people and are clearly able to keep up on current events, no reason to believe their wisdom would ever be non-relevant.

Who says the Jedi will have high number sin the ST?

5. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    "When gone I am, the last of the Jedi you will be."

You seem to be willfully ignoring the meaning of that line - and misinterpret the goodbye scene - and all that only to be "right". You don't care about the messages of the OT, do you?

Well, I do.

6. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

And when Yoda is gone who is the next person Luke talks too?

Clearly being a force ghost is not the same as being a flesh and blood Jedi. Yoda's line in no way means he will never come back to give Luke advice or anything like that. Hell, we see Yoda at the end of movie, clearly hes NOT "gone".

Given there are rumors that Yoda will appear in Episode VII.......

7. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah i wanted Sword of the Jedi' trilogy but as we have to wait who knows what is going on.Until we know if Jaina is canon or not we will have to wait and see.

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    "If you choose to face Vader you will do so alone, I can not interfere."

So yes his ghost is still hanging about, but he's no longer a Jedi. A force ghost offering advice is just a bit different than listening to the force itself because it can be a bit more clear on what it wants. Luke, for the most part is on his own with just some general guidance from time to time from friends long gone.

Mystery Roach and Odolwa like this.
  9. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    When does luke not need to talk to ghosts for answers?
    Dont get me wrong i wouldn't mind a short appearance from yoda or Anakin ghosts, But obi-wan and Yoda trained luke to fight Vader pretty much and finish what they couldn't in ROTS , And he did, mission accomplished.
    I'm assuming hes the next Grand master, And i imagine the ghost jedi will let him do his thing and learn and grow and teach his students in his own way.
    Yes, Obi-wan stuck around throughout the OT, But again i think this was to make sure his training was complete with the help of yoda.
    And i agree with Darth_Pevra . I see the end of ROTJ ghosts as "You did it, we are proud of you, Goodbye luke" *Luke walks away smiling to join his friends and family*
    If yoda is to show up and give luke a warning, Fine. But don't make it into Hogwarts with ghosts hanging out at the jedi academy

10. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I hope it does not crush that enthusiasm and I end up enjoying the book, but we shall see. What will--perhaps just temporarily at that--take my enthusiasm away, will be the end of the next generation(s) of Skywalkers/Solos and Jedi of the New Order as I know it. Hopefully TPTB speeds up the process of informing us that all or most of the current post-RotJ EU has gone the way of Alderaan. I need time to mourn that loss and to get re-energized for the New Order of the post-RotJ world.

11. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Glad to see someone still into the EU, I haven't read crucible yet but want to. Everyone seems to only complain and nitpick about the post-NJO books but i found entertainment in all of em.

Vastor, Jobertus and Iron_lord like this.
  12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Star Trek as a film franchise has been built on mostly stand alone features like the Bond franchise. Yes it did have a three film arc mixed in just as Bond has had two two film arcs mixed in but since Star Trek has never been only about the story told in that arc it can always go off and tell new stories because that's how the franchise is structured. The Star Wars Saga is one single story told over what will now be nine films. Yes there will be spin-off films but as Kathleen Kennedy said recently those won't be a part of the Saga because the Saga is one self contained story and Episode VII is a continuation of that.

13. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

When anyone needs advice to guidance.

Whyw ouldn't Yoda and Obi-wan etc... show up and say - this is how you train a Padawan, this is how long it takes, don't do this it doesn't work but that works great - etc....

And no that isn't what Yoda says. You can tell because those lines aren't in the movie. Maybe we don't see them, maybe we do (there have been rumors of both being in the film).

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Shuttle crash, the end of the 1st Sabacc game and the entirety of the 2nd Sabacc game

All that needs to be said.

15. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

When 2-3-4 were out 3/4 of the Star Trek movies were a connected trilogy.

And as you said, Star Wars soon will have movies that aren't part of the story. We also have the Clone Wars which isn't really part of the story.

There is zero why why Episode VII has to follow the same story line as the last 6 movies (at least beyond, the characters are still the cahracters). Lucas has said RotJ was the end of the story and anything else would be something new.

16. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    crucible for me was to much all over the place with the mandos, head torture minigames and clones etc but it do have some good parts.
    Me i enjoy the old republiv books more sometimes.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The 6 part saga was so 2011. It's 2014 now and the 9 part saga is the story now.
    Don't worry though, it'll be a 12 part saga soon enough.

18. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Yes, i know they didnt say those lines. I was meaning that when we last see them they are smiling at luke in a good job you did it type way and luke walks away.
    And Yoda and obi-wan's Jedi order failed and died. The future of the jedi is up to luke now. I seem to be one of the few who has a issue with force ghosts being used as Always around answer machines.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Even Jedi should go the way of all living things at some point. It is the natural order. They shouldn't be exempt from the basic laws of the universe.

If they are so powerful to cheat death, to become truly inhuman, then what Dave Brin said is right. The Jedi are entitled Übermenschen.

20. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    I read so many posts from the EU's detractors, it's nice to see there remains fellow fans of it. For the most part I also find the novels entertaining. I am currently reading Kenobi, and eagerly await the arrival of Crucible. If I had any complaint about the EU novels, it would be that I began reading these books because of their connection to the heroes of the OT, not to mention that GL also previously maintained there would be no more films. To see that go for naught with the advent of new characters is dismaying. I'll get over it, but still, you might think that someone would hold a tighter reign on their creation to make sure it is exactly as they would have perceived it should be. Rather than letting someone else continue to develop these characters (and create new ones) just to change your mind and contradict decades worth of material.

Shira_French_Cheese and Odolwa like this.
  21. Jobertus

Oct 31, 2012
    The laws of which universe? Ours or the Star Wars Universe? Most of them already possess awesome telekinetic powers and "laser-swords", so clearly the laws of their universe have yet to be proven to be the same laws as our universe.

Not all Jedi have learned this power that Qui-Gon Jinn learned, then subsequently passed on to Yoda and Obi-Wan. It is an exclusive group of beings. It's not as if they consider themselves superior to anyone (at least the tenets of the Order are this way), the mistaken ideas of individual Jedi notwithstanding.

Circular Logic and TKT like this.
  22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Maybe, or maybe it will be a 6 part saga followed by a sequel trilogy or a sequel 6 part saga.

It also depends how you define "saga.". The story of the original saga is the story of Anakin Skywalker, his rise and fall and him destroying the Sith. That story is done.

And thats your take on the scene, but with no dialog thats all it is, and until we see what Abrams and co do in the ST trilogy.....

Take it upwith Lucas who had at least 3 discover the secre tof immortality. If you don't like it thats onet hing, but thats what those 3 did, they became immortal.

23. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Jobertus
    The movies themselves have made clear that Jedi as well as Sith can be mortal and weak. Like when the Sith died or when Yoda died in his hut.

Yoda: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is
    Anakin Skywalker: What must I do, Master Yoda?
    Yoda: Train yourself to let go... of everything you fear to lose.

Yoda: Soon will I rest, yes, forever sleep. Earned it I have.
    Luke: Master Yoda, you can't die.
    Yoda: Ah, strong am I with the Force, but not that strong. Twilight is upon me, and soon, night must fall. That is the way of things. The way of the Force.

Everything that lives must die and vanish, in the GFFA as well as here.

If Yoda really had the gumption to tell Anakin to let go of a loved one while he was seeking for ways to make himself immortal ... well, he is the greatest hypocrit in the entire universe. And I don't believe he is that hypocritical.

The whole immortality line was just a throwaway explanation for force ghosts. Saying "how to learn to be a ghost" sounds stupid, so Lucas had them say "immortality" instead. But that is no reason to believe the Jedi want to stick around forever and ever.

Sum-Wan and Odolwa like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Fall and redemption story of Anakin Skywalker might be over but now we could have the fall, the redemption and Legacy of Anakin Skywalker. The Storyline shall evolve, not start another one. Or maybe Lucas will finally make it into the Skywalker Family Saga. Since Lucas has made up everything along the way on the fly, it feels like he will make the ST part of his story and work the PT and OT to fit his newest vision and not something new.

25. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

It depends on how you define the story of the saga.

If you make it vague enough - the legacy of the Skywalker family - then yes of course it will be a continuation. If you mean will it continue the actual story of the saga - Anakins rise and fall, over throwing the Sith/Palpatine etc... then no it most likely won't.

In those terms Star Trek 5 IS the contunation of the story since its the further adventures of Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.