main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Sword of the Jedi by Christie Golden

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    We're going to see a new story, unconnected to the stories we've seen before, if we see EU characters, settings, and ideas, it's because they fill roles, in the Holocron database.
    A son, and wife for Luke, Mara Jade, and Ben, Kids for Han, and Leia, they have thre to choose from.
    Just as Pablo, is doing it for Rebels, and he did it, in TCW, with Leland, he would have done it for the ST.
    Since the ST, is in the PT, TCW, Rebels, OT canon, we will see new canon books, and comics, when they announce them.
    Son of Dathomir, is part of canon, since it's coming from the TCW team working with Dark Horse.

C Continuity, now that it's done, will be mined for characters, Ideas, concepts, and planets. Once Legacy Vol 2 finishes, it will be done.
    We will still have pre PT

2. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Well said. This is the approach I've always felt was best, and honestly, as you mentioned, it's not that complicated to do. Will they do it, though? I really doubt it. I think JJ's concerns about the EU are near zero, and my impression is that he's gungho about telling his own Star Wars tale that's as close to the OT as possible, whatever that means. It's a shame really, because the Star Wars universe is one that spans thousands of years, is filled with countless characters, stories, planets, creatures, and so forth. If I were in his shoes, I'd be delighted to take part of that universe and to contribute to its continuing histories (created over the years on many formats--films, TV shows, TV films, books, comics, games, etc), but as Trek fans learned, I don't think he has any real concern for any of that. Yeah, he's a director, and ultimately, he makes the movie he wants to make, and sadly, that means it basically has nothing to do with the current Star Wars universe, as we know it.

To tag on to your post as well, it requires very little time to acquaint one's self with the EU. Prep yourself for a few hours on Wookiepedia, and then ask Leeland or Pablo questions, and there you go, and that's only if you wanted to incorporate major EU components in the new film. Like you said, they barely even have to reference any of it. It boggles my mind the people who are eagerly awaiting the destruction of the EU---they keep insisting that to preserve it would require the films like mentioning every single detail, showing all major characters, etc. None of that is necessary, as you mentioned in your post. General audiences who have seen the previous films aren't stupid. They know several decades of passed since ROTJ, and they know stuff has happened. A few lines of dialogue here and there suffice perfectly fine if there's a need to explain something.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    You don't know that for certain. They could change the fact that the Sith only appeared once. What then?

4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Abbreviation brain freeze.

Other than that, you appear to have quick reflexes.

Ordo Skirata likes this.
  5. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    If it were entirely in his hands I'd absolutely agree with you.

However, given that there is a story group, and that Leland is part of it, I have a small measure of hope. It may be misguided, but I'd like to cling to it as long as possible.

Also, if they were completely rebooting, why is SOTJ still "on hold" not just outright cancelled?

Exactly this. I mean, when Apple announces a new product, do they have to spend 10 hours of their conference explaining what all the engineers did to come up with it the last 3 years? No. We know they did stuff, the details are irrelevant unless you have a burning desire to look into them.

Same for the EU.

6. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    For now Pre PT, is safe

7. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    You're making too many assumptions, newdawn12. NO ONE could know what's going to go down between now and December 2015. Yes, the PT era is OK, but for how long? And I'm still not convinced that JEDI BATTLES actually has the timeline that you spoke of a few months ago. You may had had an ARC with it, sure, but what's to say it doesn't exist in the new releases?

8. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Crosscurrent?

9. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013

Go to SOS, see what they say about the new release of the Fact Files

10. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013

Tied into LOTF/FOTJ

anything tied into events post 4 ABY, is not safe

11. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    So will they throw out the KOTOR comics but not the games? Is there any obvious reference to the KOTOR comics in TOR that would kill TOR?

12. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Obviously Vector has doomed KOTOR, which in turn has doomed SWTOR. Which has doomed Darth Plagueis and consequently gutted the prequel EU.

We're doomed.

Shadow Trooper and Mia Mesharad like this.
  13. Guy-Gone_Weird

Guy-Gone_Weird Jedi Master star 2

Jul 28, 2003
    I think you're right on. With Star Trek, JJ and his writers had no constraints to change anything they wanted. There is no "RoddenberryFilm". Paramount could care less about Star Trek canon, as long as there was money to be made. But with Star Wars, he has to answer to the company that created it - Lucasfilm. The very existence of the Story Group seems to support that. And besides, nothing says JJ will be making all 3 sequel episodes. There needs to be some kind of constraints and overall plan or else you'd have the next director undoing things the last director did (see GI Joe movies).

Like others have said, I think aside from the kids the entire EU can work just fine being unmentioned and offscreen. They might step on some things like TCW did with the EU, but nothing that can't be retconned in some books after the fact. Even Chewbacca's death, if it comes to that, can be retconned.

14. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    The games are canon, so far, and Marvel can make a new comic series for KOTOR, once Dark Horse stops publishing If new players want to read the comics, they'll have to wait till Marvel makes a series, or hope they can find copies of the comics, on EBAY, or Amazon, or find someone willing to sell them the Datk Horse comics. Also the Story Group has had influence, on the game.

15. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Vector is, like, well, a disease.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Well, it could just be a simple damage control PR move. They know it's been a long time since we've heard about this project, and there hasn't been any real official word regarding the EU's fate, so perhaps they figured they'd slowly release news bit by bit to lessen fan anger. Take Detours. It's been "postponed," but does anyone else really think they'll ever release it? Video game developers often officially announce projects are "on hold," only to cancel them afterwards. 1313 is an example pertinent to us.

Golden also released this tweet shortly after the first one:

I, too, want to maintain as much hope as possible, but I've started to adjust my expectations accordingly; it'll help in the end. I won't like it, nor will I agree with it, but there's really nothing I can do. I'm not sure how much control the Story Group has, nor what their entire function is. I think their main priority right now is ensuring that everything moving forward works cohesively under the Disney brand, this cohesiveness probably consists of the PT, the OT, Rebels, possibly TWC, and the ST, as well as all future content.Whether everything else is considered, we'll probably soon find out.

In one of the threads, someone mentioned that the new Maul Lockdown book includes a Vong chacater, and that this is evidence that the EU is being maintained. I argued that it doesn't necessarily mean anything, for several reasons, one being that the book has been in the works for sometime, and thus may have fallen outside of the priority list of the Story Group, but seeing that SOTJ is on hold now (and it's been in the works for a bit, too), perhaps they were also strictly overseeing the Maul book. The implications are different though: Maul book is PT, so they may have just let it slide, but the SOTJ concerns some major characters and events that fit right about the main target to set the ST in, and thus presents a higher need to resolve the situation. I assume if SOTJ is being handled by the story group, that they also did the same for Lockdown, but I don't know. My guess that most planets, creatures, aliens and such created in the EU will continue to exist in the universe, and be used when needed, although they may be modified or different than what we're used to (similar to how some things were used in TCW). I also have no idea in what context the Vong character is used in the Maul book; I was going off what other posters had mentioned.

JediDingo and Iron_lord like this.
  17. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    Grey nailed it. It was an example of how to form something around other minor works while still taking precedence and remaining accessible. The point isn't to make perfect sense throughout a character's entire development and make every fact of every book line up properly, but simply to have a minimum standard where it's just barely possible for all these things to coexist. To be able to tell it all as one big myth; there are contradictions depending what scribe is telling what story, but the core of the story remains the same... until it doesn't. That's the danger we're in with the new trilogy.

Iron_lord and DigitalMessiah like this.
  18. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm upset...although I did see this coming. It feels like the EU is coming to an end but it'll always remain in my heart. I was looking forward to seeing more of Allana and the younger generation. If this really is the end of the current EU then I guess I won't get my hopes up :(

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  19. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Retcon it. The Great Sith War lasted from 2000 BBY to 1000 BBY. If you move it so the Mandalorian Wars take place, say, 2010 BBY, then Revan/Malak can be the first Sith Lords to invade the galaxy instead of Darth Ruin (in that era), and Vitiate can be retconned to have lived 4000 years instead of just ~1200. Then have SWTOR take place 1700 BBY and the other "problem stories" mashed into the other 700 years of playroom. Simple. :)

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    That would be interesting to see but that means they would have to work it in. Will they?
    Also, Naga Sadow and Exar Kun? Where would you fit them in?

Revanfan1 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Naga Sadow, I'm not sure–but Exar Kun, you can easily fix by saying that while he called himself a Sith, he was not considered by the Jedi to be Sith. In the Timeline trailers for SWTOR, it is stated that Gnost-Dural did not consider him a Sith because he did not have the blessing of the ancient Sith spirits, at least not after his alliance with Ulic Qel-Droma. So that's easy enough.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He did have Marka Ragnos reaching forward in time to bestow his blessing though. On both Kun and Droma.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Hmm. Well, then just say that Qel-Droma and Kun were considered Dark Jedi since they were both originally Jedi Knights before becoming Sith. Also, now that I think about it, I remember that it said that Gnost-Dural knew Kun had been blessed by the Sith Lords of old, and it was Vitiate who didn't have that blessing.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Revanfan1 likes this.
  25. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    So if these books get canned, these books are still in the Del Rey contract. So what would be written/published in their place? Same with Paul Kemp duology?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.