main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    treses, homie

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Haha! Look at how stupid and poor the south is! This makes me feel better and superior!

Also. New Mexico - 38, not in the bottom three. Woohoo!

3. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    lmao that you got beat by arizona, dawg

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  5. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    OZK seems oddly defensive about the South.

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    His schtick is considering white Southerners an unfairly stereotyped group. He's right to some extent. People make fun of Appalachia ("hillbillies") for being poor, white farmers/ranchers/sharecroppers ("rednecks") for being poor, city dwellers ("white/trailer trash") for... well... yeah. Their ignorance and bigotry and social conservatism come from systems set up by the wealthy-- plantation owners historically and now their modern heirs.

To some extent. Not acknowledging that blacks comprise huge portions of the populations of the lowest-ranked states (Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi, D.C.) is... inappropriate. Poor whites in the South have always taken comfort in the fact that blacks are generally worse off.

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    its a more defensible schtick than his usual MRA fare

8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't disagree.

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

since "the bottom of a river" and "jail" are unlikely possibilities, im hoping the answer is either "'hiking' 'the' 'applachian trail'" or "BENGHAZI"

10. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Well he was flat out accusing heels of being a smug northerner for posting an article.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Who are you even responding to Lord of Vivec?

12. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Even and Maik.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    . . .they didn't disagree with you?

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My family goes back several generations in North Carolina and I'm not as defensive about the South as OZK is. :oops:

15. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Oh, I didn't know we had new rules in the JCC that you only reply to people that are fully disagreeing with you.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    By starting your remark with "Well he was," you gave the post an explanatory tone. I didn't and don't see why that tone was merited since we had neither expressed confusion with your original post nor contested the truth of its sentiment. Why would you reiterate something in that fashion given the circumstances?

17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Today was a curiosity to me as to why the right wing all of a sudden has Putin love. This morning Huckabee said (lol) Steven Segal did something Obama has never been able to do and became friends with Putin. Mitt Romney just recently said Putin has been a better President that Obama. I thought perhaps it was an Olympics thing. Be friends with the Olympics and therefore Putin and bad mouth Obama over it. Then it hit me. the anti gay policies of Russia. The Right loves it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    sure milquetoasty repubs love putin. he is a statist douche who, as you point out, reaffirms their generally anti-gay sentiment.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Approval polls are stupid. They're too generalized. They don't ask people why they "approve" or "disapprove," so they could be easily answering out of ignorance or have stupid reasons for their feelings. It also has no relevance in the middle of a lame duck president's term.

And it doesn't mean anything. Congress always has rock-bottom approval ratings, yet incumbents are overwhelmingly reelected.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    At this point due to gerrymandering.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Not necessarily. California isn't gerrymandered and I don't think the chances of incumbents winning are much lower than average, if at all. There are more than one factor, such as incumbents having more resources by default (the ability to send out ostensibly non-campaign-related newsletters to their constituents, for example), incumbents being more experienced campaigners, incumbents being able to play the "experience" card to contrast with their opponents, incumbents having the full party apparatus behind them from the start instead of having to face an opponent in a primary (incumbents getting "primary'd" is rare), the opposing party not devoting much resources in solidly "red" or "blue" districts and running bad candidates as sacrifices, third party or "independent" alternatives being rare, the voters being lazy/apathetic/comfortable with the status quo...

24. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I disagree. I think it's useful as a generic metric, especially regarding perception -- who's winning the 24/7 media war and who's framing the public debate better. It's not useful for electoral terms, but the question isn't "will you vote for this person," now is it? Otherwise statistics like cross-party approval would be of even more limited utility.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't think it's a useful metric of who's "winning." I, for example, don't "approve" of President Obama, but that doesn't mean I'm siding with John Boehner or Fox News or something. I suppose I'm something of an anomaly, though.

Jedi Merkurian and MrZAP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.