main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Problem is, it doesn't deserve loyalty. The Thrawn Trilogy may have been good story, but then when you factor in every other story that has happened after Return of the Jedi and all the bad **** that it has pulled, how can you stick with a version of an era in the Star Wars universe that has already been botched? The Sue-ification of Luke Skywalker, the writing of a series that went on too long and relied mostly on shock value (the New Jedi Order), the slew of books written by hack writers like Kevin J. Anderson. These are things that happened in the post-ROTJ EU. These are things that are better off de-canonized.

Cliegg Lars was right, from a certain point of view; Shmi was dead. By the time Anakin reached her, she was already beyond help. But if you want to be more accurate, Cliegg should have said "Your mother will be dead" - just like the post-ROTJ EU soon will be.

Beezer likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Might be over posting this but whatever

and this
    [​IMG]
    Aside from the Post NJO books (not comics), The Bantam era and the NJO series is awesome.

Darth_Henning and Iron_lord like this.
  3. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Regardless of what you think of the post-ROTJ EU, it's unlikely that Disney won't de-canonize most of the post-ROTJ era to make room for their own story. Let's not forget that the trilogy is based on treatments written even before the Thrawn Trilogy was written and the prequels prove that Lucas has no qualms with contradicting the EU.

4. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    So....what you're saying is that there were animated series written to cover the times between Episode II and III and (coming) III and IV. Both of which were already fleshed out in detail by the EU before the TV series, and for which the EU has (at least for TCW) been kept intact other than some timeline juggling of precisely when the works occurred.

So if stuff happened between VI and VII we'd need another TV series (or equivalent) that would flesh out that era, and maybe move some things up and down the timeline.

No part of that requires the overwriting of the EU.

Treatments by Lucas which pretty much ever recent leak has indicated have been extensively rewritten by the various screenwriters for who knows what reason.

Sure, maybe it will completely overwrite everything post-ROTJ, or maybe just post-NJO, or maybe nothing. There's no indication one way or the other, and there is NO reason for people to be so dead certain that its been rebooted.

If it had, the story group wouldn't still be deliberating on what the "new canon" is, it would already be decided.

5. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Ok I'm still new to this forum and just found this thread after pissing off EU haters in other threads oops. I'm a huge fan all things Star Wars and have enjoyed the movies, games and EU books. I just hope that if JJ uses the big three in there current old age 30 years from ROTJ, that he won't discount EU. A great place for him to start is after Crucible or like the interview with Zahn they could do what Tron legacy did with Jeff bridges a younger CGI version only with the big three who knows.

Apophis_, Iron_lord and Odolwa like this.
  6. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Who says they're still deliberating?

They may not be free to reveal their decisions yet.

Aldo George Lucas is still involved, he was with Kathleen Kennedy, at the opening of Lucasfilm's Singapore studio, and he's known to still talk to JJ.

One thing to keep in mind too, NJO was a passing of the torch story to Jacen, Jaina, and their friends, and Ben was still a baby.

Yet we're hearing that the torch will be passed, in seven, and the actors, that are rumored to be playing Luke's son, are in their early 20's

Plus we have rumors of Mon Mothma, who was dead before the NJO.

Plus the actors who could be playing the Solo kids, are around the same age, as Luke's son.

7. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    Well after reading the Fate of the Jedi series and Crucible you see that Luke,Leia and Han are ready to pass of the torch to Janina, Jag Fel, Ben and the rest of the Jedi Order. I believe Ben would be in his early 20's and Jaina would be around late 20's, early 30's. I'm not sure about the Mon Mothma coming back 30 years later but would rather see Dala who hates the big three.

8. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Except the people at Lucasbooks, didn't know about the ST, until we did, and Crucible, Sword of the Jedi, Plus Legacy Vol 2 were well underway
    added to that Mercy Kill was supposed to be Book 1, of a new X Wing Series.

Added to that Marvel is unlikely to reprint the Dark Horse Star Wars comic lines, which means once they stop printing, a huge chunk of the old EU becomes unavailable to new fans.

So you have books referencing events that new people won't be able to get after Jan 2015, unless they find them on Ebay, and Amazonor find someone willing to sell you their old comics.

9. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    Well what I mean was the Crucible seamed to end things for now for EU for the big three till after VII comes out and what Disney would allow. I'm not sure how that would work for Dark Horse and EU books but everyone will be able to find old EU books and the library and places like Half Price books which sales used books and comics.

10. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Dark Horse can't produce anymore Star Wars material. after Jan 2015, nothing new, and no more tpbs, omnibuses, single issues.
    That's not good for new readers, or new fans, if that canon were to remain intact. The old EU, will just be a place to find characters, species, planets, and ideas for new Disney era content.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Sean Connery was a supporting actor in only 1 of the 3 films. Plus, audiences are quite a bit more forgiving when they know the real reason behind that decision; i.e. Connery is retired.

And how do you know it didn't hurt the film? IMO, it probably hurt the film a great deal. If Connery had signed on, we would have seen more Ford-Connery and less Ford-LeBoef. I don't think you'll find many people who would complain about that trade off.

It's not about the intelligence of the average viewer, it's about storytelling. In fact, it is the intelligent viewers that would be most unhappy with the one-line-of-dialog killing a major character.

Really? It's "no different"? Please tell me you're joking. Please.

12. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
  13. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Yah, mentioned this in another thread but using the EU has a malleable basis for character names, backstory, planets, etc, would be a great usage of the 2 decades of Star Wars stuff that they put out to build the world of the ST. Don't look at the novels as unbreakable canon but instead they offer a wealth of potential to cherry pick characters and story elements from. And Ben is a great name for Luke's kid to have, anyway, why mess with it?

(yes, I know Internet stuff is generally fake but, for the sake of argument, let's take this as fact for now)

Granger, Ryus and Fastback like this.
  15. Fastback

Jan 12, 2014
    I'm not sure about Mara Jade introduced in Rebels because of her age. She was younger than luke but they could at some point later in the series introduce her at a young age coming into Palpatines grasps.

16. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, that's the point of the possibilities. Yes, they use Mara. Yes, she's a late-teens Imp in Rebels. Yes, she becomes Luke's wife and they are married, she's alive, and have a kid named Ben in the ST. No to it has to happen exactly exact and be born exactly on the exact date and married in the exact same way as it is in the EU. And she was never killed by Luke's Sith Lord nephew. Stuff like that.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Just a random post on their site, which they felt like sharing... but damn I hope its true! :D
    Actually after reading that rumor, I think Mara Jade's age of mearly 12 is actually perfect... she'd be the counter to Ahoska in The Clone Wars and Inquistor to Anakin/Obi-Wan's role (Vader takes Mace's role and the Emperor Yoda's role). It would a great analogy to how much the Empire has corrupted what once was the Old Republic.

Plus people always accuse Mara and Ahoska of being Mary Sue's might as well make them both have similar destinies. I honestly now really hope those two bump into one another, they'd either hate each other or Mara might secretly hero worship Ahoska (though think she's a traitor) to some degree though. This might also explain why Vader didn't kill Mara time and time again in the EU, even with her attitude, since if true Mara might remind Vader of Ahoska too much... if this rumor is true that is... which I highly doubt, but one can hope, right?

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The reason could very well be that Peter Mayhew just isn't up to the physical challenge of playing Chewbacca anymore and the filmmakers feel it's respectful to allow the character to end with him. I think most would understand and respect that decision.

As for the rest, I guess I should have put IMO. Maybe I'll put it into my signature so everyone knows everything I say is my opinion and in no way am I speaking for anyone else.

:p

19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Wow. The writer of the article literally just took some random comment that probably has as much authority on what will and will not be canon post-ROTJ as anyone else here. Anyone could have written that. This is a good example of hack journalism, folks.

Dra---, TheBBP and Circular Logic like this.
  20. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    [​IMG]

Dra--- likes this.
  21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    You are setting yourself up for disappointment if you think that Lucas' outlines or treatments are based on the EU when he has repeatedly and consistently been on record as saying that the EU universe is different from his movies.

Now, I am not saying that there might not be planets, locations and even minor characters or names used, but I REALLY do not think that big plots and major characters will be pulled from the EU.

22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Simply speculation. But the quote written by this "anonymous source" has a writing style that's very familiar...only one poster on these boards seems to make the same excessive use of commas in their sentences. You don't have to answer this, newdawn12, but I wonder if you were the "anonymous source" that posted this quote in the comments section, and the article writer noticed and put it up?

And if it is you, what makes you so certain that it will introduce two original characters for the ST, the Jedi and the Imperial?

Dra--- likes this.
  23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Hmm.. interesting theory. Anyways though, bigger question is why starwars7news bothered to quote a random comment at all... they must get thousands of such comments a month. The article posted didn't use many commas though as I recall.

Edit: just double checked 18 commas is quote but only 1 in the article.
    That will just make her more attractive to Fire Lord Ozai (voice acted by Mark Hamill) silly. Good plan. [face_tee_hee]
    [​IMG]

24. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    InterestingLurker likes this.
  25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'll try to confim this later tonight for you. :p

Darth_Pevra, Odolwa and Krueger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.