main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST POLL: Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Jan 15, 2014.

?

Leia's FORCE STRENGTH in Ep VII ?

1. No further development (slight Force sense)

12.1%
  2. Moderate development (strong Force sense, moving objects, sensing feelings)

40.3%
  3. Strong devlopment ie Padawan level (mind tricks, some acrobatics, lightsaber use)

22.6%
  4. Extreme development ie Jedi Knight or Master level (roughly equal to Luke)

31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If Episode VII is an allusion to either 9/11 and/or War in Iraq, I'm out of there. The main thing that irritated me about Into Darkness was how it seemed to vaguely allude to 9/11.

2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Any time from the industrial age and after is reletivly modern times. At least compared to the 5000 years before it.

And no... Even the OT had plays on politics though from the point of view of the characters, unlike the PT which had that and more direct inferencing.

However brace yourself for some deeper think with the ST, Lucas told us it was the most philosophical (though we'll see how much JJ and Kasdan focus on that though)

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There were complaints that RoTJ was on some levels an allusion to Vietnam.

Ryus likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Interesting. I didn't know about that, but I can understand some of the comparisons now that I think about it.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was more the "jungle traps" than anything else.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Lucas flat out said it was true too... Believe his wording was 'a commentary'

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But how much you wanna bet he changed his mind about that too?

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The allusion wasn't very vague. It said so right in the credits. That was actually the most annoying aspect of what was already a fairly annoying movie to me.

9. Vicious Jedi

Vicious Jedi Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Moderate Development. I dont see her participate in the action in any other way than she did in EP 4 5 6, maybe she will even have less action in EP 7, who knows. But ofcause her powers are growing over the years, so she is able to sence things through the force, move objects and sense feelings.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ugh I remember the post credits message.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I like this. I think it's accurate, although I don't think she'll have any rank (Ie Padawan.)

12. It Is Your Destiny

It Is Your Destiny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 1, 2014
    Darth_Downunder

You make some solid points here. It's undoubtedly a very tricky situation. You said:

"Imagine if a Senator representing one system was a Force user. Wouldn't that give that system a huge advantage over others, with their representative having all of these powers? I mean they can see the future, they can influence others. They could even mind trick people to vote however they like, or to agree to preferential terms for their people ahead of another system."

This seems to be the crux of the problem. I certainly understand these concerns, but I still believe the government would be susceptible to evil (much like in the PT) without an ethical force user on the inside. Lee_ made a statement that resonates with me. Lee_ said:

"At least with an ethical force user, you have a situation where a force user is making every effort to do the right thing."

It's an unfortunate fact that any new system could be manipulated by an evil force user, but it's a fact nonetheless. What better way is there to defend and protect against such an occurrence than to have a force user aligned with the light as a representative? I can't think of any.

You can't just hope that another Palpatine doesn't show up. Extreme measures must be taken, IMO. Although Leia might represent one planetary system, she wouldn't be using her powers to benefit that world. She would instead be a light side 'guardian' who protects the republic's new government. Ethically defending the political arena is a noble act that I believe can ultimately be looked at as positive.

Who's to say? Perhaps through a senatorial vote, Leia can become this 'protector', a Jedi ambassador of sorts. I wonder, could this be her sole purpose in the new government? Does she even have to represent one planetary system? We seem to easily assume that Luke will make changes to the Jedi Order. Well, the inner workings of the government can change too.

Lee_, Darth_Downunder and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    If Leia was ever Chancellor, it would have been within the first 20 years after Endor. At 35-40 years later, I expect her to be retired from public life. I think it's time to stop thinking of these characters as they were in the OT or in the years immediately following the restoration of the Republic. They aren't the same people. Oh, they still have the same traits but they're much older now and the I'd expect the galaxy to be a very different place.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Whether Leia has Force powers or not she absolutely needs a "Not my daughter you *****"-type moment. :p

Ghost likes this.
  15. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

Why would she be retired though? I heard the timeframe was 30 years post-ROTj. She'd only be in her fifties. Most politicians seem to be around that age anyway. I mean, she may be "older" now, but she's not elderly. Give the woman something cool to do!

16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It's my opinion that many people hate the PT in part because it was about the fall of the American Republic to the evil, coroded and corrupt politicians running this country into the ground. Coincidentally that is one of the reasons I love it -- it is topical and foreboding to what is actually happening.

17. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    There were some parallels to modern America, but I'd say it's more a warning about where that kind of thing can lead based on historical precedent than a direct allegory.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005

Oh I think Episode VIII should see Leia take over as the leader of the Jedi following the death of Luke. But when we see her in Episode VII, I'd think that if anyone wanted to live a simpler life, it would be Leia. This is a person who was thrust into the heart of a galactic rebellion as a teenager, someone who watched helplessly as her entire planet and everyone she's ever loved died but never even had the chance to mourn. So once the Empire has been defeated and the restored Republic has been stabilised and Leia isn't needed anymore, I think she'd be more than happy to step back. Of course when a new threat arises, Leia would be one of the first people to stand up and fight, especially if it's to protect her kids. But I do think that starting with a less active Leia could also provide some interesting tension with Han. Because while Leia may be happy for the galaxy to go on without her when she isn't needed, Han would feel quite the opposite. He'd be itching to have another adventure and have an excuse to get in the Falcon again.

19. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    Hmm…okay. You know what? That's not bad. I kinda like it.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well, we don't know the timeframe yet. I think its more likely to be 40-50 years after the movies.

But while Leia may be "retired", that doesn't mean she's elderly or can't still be a bad*** fighter.

I'm leaning towards her being on the Jedi Council, and chief Jedi ambassador to the Senate, myself.

21. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm not even sure Leia is capable of retiring. In ANH and TESB all she ever thought about was work. Leia is a workaholic. It was difficult to allow herself to fall in love with Han. It would be even more difficult to leave her work altogether. She wasn't thrust in the rebellion, no, she was the one who willingly entered into it as a teenager.

Yanksfan, Lee_ and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed, Leia was the fist-pumping rebel leader all the way. She fights and denies her feelings for Han at every pass, seemingly to herself as well as others..

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well maybe Leia became a laid back hippie in her later years? Listening to hipster Ewok death metal bands.

24. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Well, Harrison supposedly is in many ways like a laid back hippy in real life (toke toke cough cough), so you never know.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    A cranky old hippie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.