main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Any chance at all the 20th Century Fox fanfare will still be at the beginning?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sethian Eber

Sethian Eber Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Not a chance with the ST. When Disney bought Marvel, there were some contractual restrictions they were obligated to abide by. One of those was the Iron Man character due to Paramount's earlier involvement and distribution. There are fewer restrictions with the LFL purchase. One of the restrictions being distribution rights to the original films which expire in 2020 for all except the original 1977 Star Wars. It's possible that these films will always have the Fox fanfare at the beginning just as Disney's oldest animated films often have the RKO Radio Pictures title card in their credits. At the very least ESB and ANH will always have it due to Fox owning ANH and financing the rest of ESB when Lucas went over budget. That's the extent of Fox's involvement other than distribution though. They financed the 1997 restoration of the original film, but as far as ROTJ and the prequels went all they did was distribute it. They have no involvement other than that and since Disney owns the rights, there is no chance of Fox's fanfare playing at the beginning since they will have no involvement at all. From the sound of it, there appears to be some folks nostalgic for the fanfare since it always preceded the Lucasfilm logo (and title card in the earlier films). It's not part of the film though and that fanfare is obviously not limited to the SW movies.

2. RepublicKnight95

RepublicKnight95 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2014
    So, as far as I know, 20th Century Fox will no longer be distributing Star Wars now that Disney have bought the rights from Lucas. Will you miss the 20th Century Fox fanfare before the film? Personally, I believe it is part of the film. Whenever you hear the score and see the 20th Century Fox and Lucasfilm logo, I get a tingle down my spine.

I sure hope Episode VII doesn't open with the Disney castle accompanied by fireworks and "When You Wish Upon A Star" playing in the background. Oh God, the could really hurt the film.

Mav Edit: Merging this with a previous thread on the Fanfare.

3. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    They will probably have the Bad Robot running around in-between though?

4. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    I'm sure it'll be the Disney castle intro. Sure it'll be awkward at first, but most people aren't going to care once the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...." appears.

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'll be devastated. Most likely I'll be crying into my popcorn as the logos appear and won't even pay attention when the actual movie starts. Ok not really I'm just tired of seeing this question for the 800th time. :p

6. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    It'll be wierd at first, but I'll get over it.

But since we aren't getting the fanfare, I hope it's silent. We see the Disney logo and the Bad Robot logo pass by noiselessly as anticipation builds up, followed by the obligatory "Long ago...", and then... bam. Star Wars.

Mystery Roach and themuzikman like this.
  7. Padawan Fangirl

Padawan Fangirl Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I'll miss it, but as long as they don't mess with the main theme, it won't really bother me.

I mean, the 20th Century Fox fanfare is awesome, but nowhere near as awesome as the Star Wars Main theme.

Sent from my stupid little astro droid using TapaTalk 2.

8. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
  9. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    That's funny, I like to think of myself as not being very sentimental, but when I read the title of this thread, I gotta confess, I immediately felt a sort of ache in my chest imagining first seeing Episode VII without the 20th Century Fox fanfare. Eh.

10. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I am already over it. The only thing now is that it will be weird to actually experience it for the first couple of times.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  11. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not really. I mean, we all knew that it wouldn't be included.

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This again?

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just open with the Force theme

14. themuzikman

themuzikman Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 20, 2013

I agree with this. It would be cool for it to be completely silent and then as you put it, "bam" with the Star Wars theme.

Who knows, maybe we'll get a new type of fanfare that over time will become more memorable than the original ;)

Han Burgundy and laurethiel1138 like this.
  15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Who cares? It doesn't detract anything from the movie. Fox isn't involved with Star Wars.

And what makes you think it will be "..wish upon a star" for an opening? Disney does spice things up. Note the opening to Tron. There might not even be a Disney logo attached, Marvel doesn't have one, it could just be Bad Robot followed by LucasFilm.

I understand everyone's nostalgic value in it, but there are simply so many other things to be concerned about with Episode VII.

16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I'll miss it, but it's not a deal breaker. Anyway, I'll just edit it in when the Blu Ray is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarge likes this.
  17. Bob Octa

Bob Octa Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2013
    I'm hoping John Williams comes up with something new but vaguely similar, to be used for all the new Star Wars movies from here on out. It'll be tricky, but he can do it.

laurethiel1138 likes this.
  18. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hello flyguy

19. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    Fan editors out there are probably already thinking that the first thing they know they will be changing in their editions of the movie will be the inclusion of the FOX fanfare at the beginning.

20. LottDodd

LottDodd Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2002
    Its possible that Disney will still team up with Fox for distribution (and continuity). Big studios team up all the time on huge projects... However, that is probably unlikely.

What I wonder is if John Williams will rerecord the Disney theme (When You Wish Upon a Star) with the LSO like he did with the Fox Fanfare so that it sounds like it is part of the same score....

But yes, if its gone, I will miss it....

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    To anyone that will miss it, I suggest you upload it to your iPod, and play it to yourself just before the film starts.

Simples.

Immortiss likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    When I went to AOTC on opening night, the audience roared like the home team had just scored a winning touchdown when that came on the screen; that was pretty fun.

No, I don't care about the Disney castle. Don't care about the previews before the movie starts. There to watch the movie.

However, if I see Tinkerbell flying around the words waiving her wand during the opening crawl, that's another matter- UNACCEPTABLE.

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    As I've stated in the other 10,547 threads devoted to this specific topic, no I don't care.

24. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Did Avengers have the Disney Castle logo? I forget, been ages since I watched it

Even then, it doesn't necessarily have to have Wish Upon a Star. It could either be silent or have a different fanfare. I recall reading that GL specifically told John to make the opening crawl in the same key as the Fox fanfare (B-minor I think) so maybe there'll be a new fanfare altogether?

That's mostly just wishful thinking on my part, I'd bet more than anything it's just silent

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Isn't that technically illegal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.