main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    That did make me laugh.

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Eh, I dunno. Nothing against Peter Mayhew, but they could find a substitute 7+ foot tall guy, put him in the costume, and no one would know the difference. Heck, didn't 4 different guys wear the Vader costume in the OT alone?

TKT likes this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would like to see Mara Jade in Rebels and I would like to see Jaina , Jacen & Ben in EP7 even if their ages are rebooted.......

ScorpionJedi and Ryus like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Round Robin interview in The Unifying Force, with Lucasfilm staff like Sue Rostoni, says otherwise. As did Tom Veitch in an interview.

Lucas's role was extremely limited - restricted to approving and forbidding a couple of things - but it was definitely present - even if he might have rationalized it with "the EU-verse is not my 'verse".

Ryus likes this.
  5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I highlighted the most pertinent fact. The EU is a separate universe from the movie universe and always will be save for bit pieces that they decide to use (i.e. locations and possibly minor characters). They will not be pulling major plots and characters from the EU to make the new trilogy.

Bennihana and Mystery Roach like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    All Lucas stated was that the Vong could not be a Sith society.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    If the Vong are in it, please God please give them a more menacing name.

8. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    And then re-write the entire thing and leave them out.

9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    How about no Vong.

No resurrected Emperor.

No Darth Caedus.

No Sue-ified Luke Skywalker.

That would make the post-ROTJ EU a LOT better than what it is now.

Darth_Pevra, Beezer and TheBBP like this.
  10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

Ryus and Odolwa like this.
  11. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I only agree with you on the Emperor. I didn't like jacen being killed off, But didn't mind his darkside turn. Whats wrong with the vong?

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aren't they basically evil mutant chickens?

13. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Who love pain. It's like 10 tens of thousands of pages with a Star Wars label slapped on it about an S&M master trying to turn the whole galaxy into it's sub, basically. At least Paply wasn't that obviously kinky about it! Mostly. Kinda.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    That was Vergere who was a prisoner chicken alien lady, not the Vong.

Anyways what's wrong with the Vong is...

"They killed Chewie, those ********!"

Oh, and they'd scare 8 year olds...

Conceptually the issue with them is the no force thing, all the black holes, and living everything... beyond being like Reapers from Firefly to their own faces, most of that is due to believeablity of the audence though being stretched since I doubt any casual fan wants to see a lightsaber being defeated by crab armor. :p I was a fan of the NJO books, but I realize they work better on paper... balancing their 'forgienness' would be very tricky on screen.

As to plot wise their massive issue is the tale about them being a passing the torch story to Jacen and Jaina when that's also the point of ep VII, so the two conflict... all the plot points can be explained away in VII, if JJ and KK felt like it (Moon sized if), about every death and destroying the New Republic and sacking Corcusant... however the being a passing the torch story is unforgivable since that conflicts with VII. So if, which I stress, the Vong become stroy group approved, the big odds are on their story/invasion being completely reworked and the insane odds are that they'd approve every facet of the 19 book long series.

15. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The Vong drastically redefine the Force as it has been defined in the movies. Last I heard, life creates the Force, makes it grow, and that it is an energy field created by all living things. Changing that may go over in some book but it won't go over well on the big screen.

16. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Don't even get me started on their stupid appearance:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seriously, the villain design is just comical.

EHT and Darth_Pevra like this.
  17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Yeah, they need more spikes but less skull/teeth. :p

18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd rather have the Vong than another Sith Empire/Civilization. There's way too many of those.

Oh wait. At the time, there weren't that many Sith Empire's/Civilizations.

19. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lucas tried himself with MidiChlorians and it was an epic failure.

20. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    A young Mara Jade would be awesome in Rebels. I even have an idea for how to approach the character in an episode if anyone wants to hear it I'd be happy to tell it. Along with that, I'd like to see a young Kyle Katarn as well.

I would love to see the Vong done in some way. I mean in one of the new Darth Maul books they're releasing, the Vong are actually going to appear. So maybe Disney/Lucasfilm aren't completely going to throw them away seeing as we are one year out from the new movies?

I don't see how these guys are any different to say:

The Orcs from Lord of the Rings:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or The White Walkers from Game of Thrones(heck the Vong are a lot like them come to think of it):

[​IMG]

Darth_Henning, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  21. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    no, no, nooooo! that's simply too much logic for all those EU haters *lol*

22. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    If the part in the rumor report about books and comics being in the same canon as the movies, TV and Netflix, I really hope they won't make it necessary to watchers of the upcoming films (ST and spin-offs) and the TV projects to read those to not miss out on any details that are more or less heavily connected to the films & TV material (such as things being introduced, explained and/or being properly resolved in the books/comics instead of in the films/TV projects).

In short, they should know to keep the litterature separate from the moving media and not make them dependent on one another.

23. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    No, actually that's precisely the point. They are perhaps new and unexpected for someone whose cultural diet has been Star Wars and only Star Wars since birth, but to anyone else they are boring grimdark cliche spooks with plot coupon. Star wars is built heavily on tropes, but the Vong are found where imagination only goes to die.

The Force and its weaving together of disparate religious & mythical influences is an imaginative and fresh story device, and one of the cool and special things about Star Wars. If you need to neuter the Force in order to tell your story, your story isn't really Star Wars. Simple as that.

24. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    They were generic biomechanical aliens that seemed to infest much of science-fiction during the late '80s to mid '90s... That's my take anyway.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    They look like Skeletor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.