main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST What would get you so mad that you would walk out of Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediKnightOB1, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    If Nickelback has any involvement in the Star Wars Universe, I am out of there.

2. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Imperials. That era should be long gone 35-40 years later. I have no problem with a repurposed Star Destroyer showing up as a Republic ship or perhaps a pirate vessel, but if there's any hint that the Empire still exists 40 years after Endor, it would be confirmation that what Abrams wants is to rehash the original movies and not do anything new. I want new Star Wars, not old Star Wars repackaged.

DARTH_BELO and Sith-Mullet like this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Even Imperials working with the Rebels/New Republic?

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If we get Patton Oswalt's Marvel Star Wars crossover.... but only get B & C teir Avengers. 8-}

5. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005

The Empire IS the Republic. Remember, it's close to 40 years later. By then I'd expect any Imperial resistance to have been long gone and the galaxy to be united as a single entity. Anything else would completely undermine the ending of Return Of The Jedi. I've felt this way about the continued existence of the Empire in EU for a long time because it essentially meant the story of the Alliance vs the Empire wasn't over but we were never going to see it.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  6. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I agree wholeheartedly. The Empire doesn't have any territory of its own to remnant in. That is all EU conjecture formulated before the PT-era circumstances were known in any detail. Like non-clone stormies. Which seem to be canonised now, but still not what GL intended.

7. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    The Empire had an entire galaxy to control, I would think there would still be remnants even after 30 years. But I agree that I hope they aren't the primary antagonists as it would make it seem like JJ just wants to 'recapture the magic' of the originals by having it be the same exact thing.

8. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    Stay on Target. What would get you so mad that you would walk out of this movie? Aqua Man, if I see him I am gone.

dolphin and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  9. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Why is it so unrealistic that even 40 years after Jedi that all Imperial or former Imperial resistance should be gone? Granted, I can't see there being a lot, but there was roughly 20 years between ROTS and ANH and there were people resisting/rebelling against Palpatine during that time.

And for a real world example, a couple of weeks ago, a former Japanese Army officer died and he'd spent almost 30 years hiding out in the jungles of the Philippines after the end of WW2.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  10. Sith-Mullet

Aug 2, 2003
    STAY ON TARGET FOLKS!!!

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
  11. DEATHCONQUEROR

DEATHCONQUEROR Jedi Knight star 1

May 13, 2011
    "I sense Count Dooku" - "I sense a trap" - "Next move?" - "Spring the trap". Dialogue like this would probably make me facepalm and dig into my eyes with my fingers. If it continued throughout the movie, I would leave...:mad:

12. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005

Because the Republic and the Empire were never separate entities. The special edition of Jedi pretty much seals the Empire's fate by showing the mass galactic uprising, even in the central system of the Empire - Coruscant. The Emperor is dead. Vader, his apparent heir and second in command, is dead. Vader's own second in command of the Imperial fleet, Piett, is dead. So who's left? A few admirals and generals perhaps. They're as likely to fight each other as to fight the Alliance without the Emperor there to keep them in line. The Imperial governors? Sure. But they've got a mass uprising on their hands and with a dozen Star Destroyers deployed to Endor and the bulk of the fleet spread across the galaxy, the governors have to rely on local forces, which we see are being completely overwhelmed by the millions of citizens on each world. The Imperials aren't just fighting the rebels anymore, they're fighting everyone.

At that stage, the only viable option would have been to cut a deal. I don't think the Empire was militarily defeated. It simply transitioned back into the Republic, with the Senate being recalled, the Alliance probably assuming control of the Imperial fleet, with various Imperial leaders making deals to either step aside or assume a role in the restored Republic. Some would have undoubtedly faced trials for war crimes and sure, some Imperial hardliners may have managed to gain enough support to try to stand against the Republic in armed conflict but that wouldn't have lasted long.

Never mind, 40 years, I'd expect the transition from Empire back to Republic to have been completed within 5, with some influential Imperials having a voice in the new democracy, a voice that may have fallen on deaf ears under the Emperor. In the years that followed, there may have been a Thrawn-like figure who longed for the return of the Empire and tried to bring it about but without the support of the population and facing the might of a Republic armed with the old Imperial war machine, such conflicts would have been brief and within 20 years, the military would have been almost completely dismantled, perhaps leaving behind a leaner galactic security force to police the galaxy but certainly not a massive armada of ships and soldiers.

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That seems like the most logical scenario, however I'm now resigned to how attractive it would be for the people telling the story to have Imperials as bad guys again with all of their iconography, so we'll see what happens. I like your way better though.

14. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    Well in the EU, the Empire lasted at least 100+ years ABY. As long as there's some hot shot leader out there who'll be a rallying symbol for the Empire be it Thrawn, Palpatine Reborn, Lumiya, Darth Krayt etc etc for example, then it would exist in some manner. I don't think all of the worlds in the GFFA had 100% love for the Rebels/New Republic and they would gladly support the Empire.

I expect there to be some sort of version of the Empire to still be around, except they're former shadows of themselves.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    The EU's depiction of post-Endor government is the last thing I want the ST to follow. How many times was one replaced by another? The New Republic... the Galactic Alliance... the One Sith Empire... the Galactic Triumvirate... I'm not sure if that's all of them and that doesn't even take into account all the times a different warlord took over the Empire. It's a complete mess IMO.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And don't forget all of the corrupt politicians. Borsk and Shesh were more than enough.

17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    On the other hand, if they ever make a movie about the Sith, I think Trent Reznor should do the soundtrack; that would be way cool.

JediKnightOB1 and Mystery Roach like this.
  18. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    That's one part of the post-ROTJ EU, I'd like gone.

19. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    If Leia doesn't kiss a Wookie, I am out of there.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    the firealarm going off three minutes before the movie ended and then having to go out to the lobby just to hear that it's a false alarm and then having to go back inside, get comfortable again and watching only those last three minutes. (Happened to me when watching the 2009 star trek film.)

dolphin likes this.
  21. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    If there is an epilogue that fast-forwards to the future but to OUR present-day giving a literal, same-universe meaning to "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

Also, if what happened to me during my 2nd viewing of TPM occurred again. True story. On my right was a mentally disabled man who had a pile of napkins and methodically went through each one wiping his hands and then placing them in a plastic bag. To my left was far more disturbing ...some dude with his hand in his pants and he looked like he was umm...occupied with his self (and perhaps needed the napkins that were to my right). I'll never forget that experience..... Fortunately by the time the movie actually started they had both stopped.

22. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Totes!!

this is how I have felt as well; it's a chance for a fresh new storyline with fresh new characters: take advantage!!

I always felt that the OT could be looked at as the "Imperial era" -just as the PT is looked at as the "old republic era". and in episode VII, the Empire could be referenced as part of a bygone era-just as how Obi-Wan Kenobi talked about the clone wars in ANH.

30 years is a long time...almost a lifetime from my perspective! ;)

23. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    If Chewie doesn't think with his stomach, I am out of there.

Sarge and Sith-Mullet like this.
  24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Oh my bad; so the topic at the moment is to take obscure lines from the trilogy and make jokes out of them... [face_thinking] okay well here's mine:

If any one doesn't stay on target, I'm out of there.

:p

25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I'm going to walk out if I'm sitting in the wrong theater.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.