main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Would you like to see another character of the same species as Yoda in the new trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Nadoy, Jan 27, 2014.

?

Would you like to see another character of the same species as Yoda in the new trilogy?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2014.
  1. Yes

20.6%
  2. No

55.6%
  3. Maybe

23.8%
  1. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    Not really...

2. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Please, No.

3. Nadoy

Nadoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2014
    Luke doesn't have to go to Yoda's homeworld. We don't even have to find out where this is. The mother of said child could have went to any of the thousands of planets to have the baby and raise it away from the prying eyes of the empire. The mystery of Yoda's race could be kept intact, and we could get a younger interesting yoda-like character to replace some kind of yar yar binks character(God forbid they do that again). What I am trying to say is if you use your imagination, any problem someone has with either his race being revealed, homeworld being reveal, etc, can be dealt with by changing up the story and just not telling that information. Don't want force ghost yoda and child of yoda to be confusing to casuals? Make force ghost yoda clearly explain to characters and audience about how this is his son, etc. And make child yoda have a distinct look, maybe a scar and some armor on one of the shoulders or maybe make him a little taller, or much younger, as long as it fits with the general star wars feel. Nothing I am suggesting is set in stone, chances are, you could write the story and events around it. You could reveal a yoda-like character without revealing a single bit more of information about yoda's homeworld than has already been revealed in the OT and PT and still keep his mystery. The mother's backstory could even be written out.

No way, a group of yoda's species would be way too much. The thing we have learned about Yoda is that his race seems to be extremely rare, even though they seem to live to around a 1000 years. This could be because he is one of the last of his kind and his homeworld was destroyed by a star turning into a red giant, and this happened 600-700 years prior. The information about the homeworld could be suppressed to keep the mystery. More than one physical yoda-like character would be too much.

Great idea. I agree, I think if written right then this could work very well.

I read that the reason the original Yaddle was not in AoTC was because with the choice to animate Yoda digitally, it would have cost too much and taken too long to also animate her, so they just scrapped her completely. Had GL taken the time to develop her more then maybe people would not hate revealing anything about their species as much. I actually like the mystery aspect of it, where you have to watch the old movies for "clues" to where this new character could have come from. He could just "show up", or they could happen to meet the main characters without knowing much about his history, and have him/her eventually learn he/she is the son/daughter of the original yoda, or not. Having Anakin and Padme have a secret marriage and child was what eventually caused Anakin's fall to the darkside, because of his fear that he would loose his wife, whom according to the Jedi rules you are not supposed to marry, correct? Maybe the reason yoda did not defeat Palpatine in RoTS was because he did the same thing, causing him to loose touch with the force just enough to loose the fight against Darth Sidious.
    If one wants to include the PT and not leave out the events and characters that are now cannon, then seeing Yaddle mysteriously leave between TPM and AoTC but still have her seat, the same shape as yoda's seat, at the same location in the chamber, and we receive no explanation why, which has some mystery to it, then one could easily take this to mean that she left for a good reason(maybe to have a child?), and keep the mystery around it and his race with the new trilogy by not explaining much except hints and pieces.

4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Having it as a total mystery is far preferable to the alternative. We've reached the point where, if they do anything Yoda-species-related, it will disappoint/anger a whole buncha people.

5. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I have a feeling that we will see Obi-Wan, Qiu-Gon, Yoda and Anakin in Force Ghost form. There may not be any need introduce any new character of the same species.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I would not mind seeing another character similar to Yoda, but I would rather his species/origins remain a mystery. Aside from that, I would love to see Yoda himself return in some manner in the ST.

Honestly, it would be terrific if another wholely original character similar to Yoda, but of a different species altogether, were brought forth sometime during the course of the ST.

Nadoy likes this.
  7. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    As much as I like Yoda and would love to know more about his species, I'd rather not see this happen in the ST. I'd actually rather see a Gungan who is the total opposite of Jar-Jar. That is, well coordinated, well spoken who contributes either nothing at all or something positive to the story.

8. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    There's absolutely nothing that suggests Yoda's species is special in any way in-universe. Palpatine, the Chosen One, and the Ones of Mortis aren't members of Yoda's species yet seem to be at least as "special" as Yoda. Meanwhile, Yaddle, who is a member of Yoda's species, seems to be just like every other Jedi Council member.

Dra--- likes this.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    There is nothing in-universe to suggest anything special but let's face it..... when it comes to the EU butchering characters' backstories and inventing races, Yoda has been left conspicuously absent.

I can tell you Hammerhead's name, race and planet of origin. Ditto Walrusman. Or any one of a hundred aliens. But Yoda remains a mystery. I actually like it like that.

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  10. Nadoy

Nadoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 27, 2014
    Yoda's midi-chlorian count is extremely high, like 16k I think? Not as high as Anakins(almost 30k), who was probably conceived of midi-chlorians by Darth Plagueis. Palpatine: (Speaking of Plagueis):"He could influence the midi-chlorians that create life"(RoTS) Shmi Skywalker:"There was no father, I can't explain it. I carried him, I gave birth to him."(TPM) Qui-gon:"I have encountered a virgance in the force"(TPM) I believe Palpatines midi count is around 11 or 12k, not as high as Yoda's, but yet he still kicked his butt because he became a lot stronger after Anakin turned to the dark side, therefore bringing his raw power over to the dark side and energizing him(Palpatine) as Anakin's master.
    If you read the EU info about Yaddle, she was extremely strong in the force, as all of Yoda's species natively are, and could use a special technique that was forbidden to be taught to anyone else that slows down the heart rate and organs of an enemy. So yeah, Yoda's species is extremely strong in the force..

Oh and BTW, if you are going by in-universe alone, the movies only right? Well lets see, Anakin is extremely strong in the force: Obi-wan: "Even master yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high", which suggests yoda's is pretty high, even the highest of any jedi on record yet, as why not compare him to another jedi's count if their's was higher than yoda's? So we know Anakin is extremely strong in the force, and his children... Luke/Leia, are extremely strong in the force. So in-universe alone wouldn't Yoda's offspring be extremely strong in the force also? Just like Anakin's offspring are? In-universe? So if you make the character yoda's offspring, problem solved on having him/her be "powerful" in the force...

Like I said previously you can bring in another Yoda character and still keep his species a mystery... *sigh*

11. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    darklordoftech wants an evil Yoda who looks like Maul.

I'm only for that if he uses crude language and is named Yod.

12. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    What about a lazy one, on benefits, in a vest?

StoneRiver, purplerain and Dra--- like this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

"Kneel before Yod!"

Dra---, Mr. K and purplerain like this.
  14. B3

B3 Chosen One star 6

Jan 21, 2014
    I'm all for Yoda in ghost form, and I wouldn't mind another of his species in the background. I mean even more in-the-background than Yaddle was.
    Yoda is just too iconic to be treated like a teal Twi'lek i.e. there everywhere you look.
    So yeah, I voted "maybe".

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    As long as any such character does not in any way outshine my long anticipated Jawa Jedi... do your worst, art department.

Bullhead CIty, Dra--- and Mr. K like this.
  16. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I have two interesting ideas:

1: Yoda's species is entirely evil, Yoda and Yaddle are the only good members and exiles. Yoda could warn Luke about an invasion of his species(like the Vong), who are an ancient, force abusing, slavering race (Rakata) that was banished from the galaxy eons ago...

2: A Sith Lord of Yoda's species completely red and black tatooed, filed teeth and he may also have cut off his ears...

Bullhead CIty, Dra--- and purplerain like this.
  17. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Agreed. I previously thought Yoda's species was rare and unknown then TPM comes around and right there on the Jedi Council is another one. That's not considering Evan Piell who could pass for Yoda's 3rd cousin twice removed.

18. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I love mystery, and all great narrative deploys it in some way, but I've never really thought Yoda was mysterious because of what species he was. He was mysterious because he was the first Jedi we met other than Obi-Wan and he was living on this mysterious jungle planet. And his small stature was surprising and said something powerful about the true nature of Jedi (that being a warrior misses the point).

So I don't really care if we see more of his species. Then again, I also don't want his species to be anything like Yoda. His Force sensitivity should be just as rare as it is in other species.

And I believe we have already seen evil Yodas:

[​IMG]

19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    No. NO. And HELLZ NOZ!

I try to forget Yaddle even ocurred. One of the few things I really HATE about the PT.

20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Nope.

Yaddle was kind of alright, since she just sat there and was a curious background character. I could even bear the fact that we got one in the first KOTOR game. But having more Yodas run around would be quite cheapening to him as one of the iconic characters of the franchise. It would be like every other person could get their hands on Vader's armor and strut around.

Maybe, maybe it could be interesting to see, at some later date and outside the Main Saga, a character of that species who has nothing to do with the Force. A non-Force-sensitive, conniving, immoral, shady smuggler/bounty hunter/crime lord kind of guy. He'd have a long lifespan even without the Force, and could be quite an interesting way to incorporate that species without having much connection to Yoda.
    That's still a big maybe.

Iron_lord, Dra--- and StoneRiver like this.
  21. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Maybe his species are an ancient race who were helpers to some form of force deities. Sort of like the Valar and Maiar from Middle-earth

Beezer likes this.
  22. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No interest at all. I never had that much of a draw to Yoda anyway. He always seemed rather arrogant as do most of the other film Jedi. I like Yoda's an alien but it's pretty much unlikely we'll ever learn his history or origins that by now I've lost all sense of wanting to know.

23. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    Which then begs the conversation of inter-species love, and which dark, kinked-out, fettish-filled, bestial genetic path Evan Piell ancestors took... [face_laugh]

dolphin likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  25. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I want them to have such a character, only instead of puppets or CGI, have Peter Dinklage in green makeup.