main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Haaaaaave you met Ted? How i met Your mother (Final Episodes)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Luke_Sparkewalker, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Couldn't find a thread on the show and seeing that it's on the final 8 episodes (7 weeks with the final two in one final) thought it may lead to some discussions on this epic love story ;)

Tonight's Episode "How your Mother Met Me" was a return to the heartfelt Himym episodes:

"In the 200th episode of the series, The Mother recounts how she met Ted, as well as other significant events that occurred in her life during the previous eight years, including the mysterious death of Max, her first serious boyfriend. Through this episode, The Mother explains all of the times she had been so close to Ted but had not actually met him"

references to past episodes:

• The Mother was at the club that Ted and Barney went to on Saint Patrick's Day 2008. However, she leaves early. ("No Tomorrow")
    • The Mother is a childhood friend of Mitch, "The Naked Man". He tries his trick on her, but is unsuccessful, concluding that it works two out of three times. Her roommate subsequently returns home, with whom he has better luck.
    • After The Mother decides to study economics, she attends the class that Ted mistook as his Architecture 101 class. ("Definitions")
    • The Mother's second roommate, Cindy, who briefly dated Ted ("Girls vs. Suits"), makes a failed pass at her. Cindy later books The Mother's band at Robin and Barney's wedding. ("Band or DJ?")
    • Several posters saying "SAVE THE ARCADIAN" are visible when the The Mother meets Louis. The Arcadian was the building controversially demolished to make way for the new GNB building Ted designed. ("Architect of Destruction", "Challenge Accepted")
    • Louis is confused by the bar's name MacLaren's, having thought it was called Puzzles. Ted and Barney once briefly renamed the bar Puzzles when Carl left them in charge. ("Three Days of Snow")
    • The Mother leaves MacLaren's moments before Ted walks in wearing a dress. ("Now We're Even")
    • The Mother picks up Marshall while he is walking with Marvin, and asks a bartender to buy the best man (whose true identity she doesn't know) a double serve of the Farhampton Inn's finest Scotch after he punches her obnoxious bandmate, Darren. ("Bass Player Wanted")
    _______________________________________________________________________________

between now and next week I'll be looking back at season 1 episodes.

2. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Today's episode was perhaps the best of the season so far, but that's not saying much. For what was a very entertaining and at times clever show, the writers have really done a disservice in this last season. Boring episodes that are clearly fillers meant to drag everything out. I read an article pretty much saying that the writers realized their mistake by trying to have the entire season dragged out over three days of the wedding celebration but that they're now stuck going down this poorly conceived route. Just such an awful idea.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The season is an utter waste. They get this phenomenal actress to play the mother and then they barely use her, preferring instead to waste time on pointless gags and diversions. This episode was a return to the heart that characterized the early seasons and it shows that a season around the mother's life -- or even a few episodes -- would've been vastly preferable to this dragged-out crap we're getting now.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

4. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Isn't this what they've been doing for the past 8 seasons? :p

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, but the story at least felt like it was leading somewhere for the first four. Everything after was a waste of time.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

6. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I recently started watching the series on Netflix. I'm about halfway through the second season and enjoying it very much so far.

I really liked Victoria.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    "Hey guys, remember these fun times from past episodes?"
    "Yes, we watched them back when they were new episodes."

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think the season has been a waste. There was a lot of story issues to deal with and while some stuff may have seemed unnecessary, it wasn't nearly as bad.

9. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    Season 1 - Pilot:

The episode (and series) begins in 2030 with an older Ted Mosby telling his children the story of how he met their mother. The story begins in 2005, with Ted's best friend and roommate Marshall Eriksen proposing to his girlfriend Lily Aldrin prompting Ted to begin a search to find his own soulmate. At a pub called MacLarens, alongside his friend Barney Stinson, Ted meets budding news anchor Robin Scherbatsky, with whom he is instantly smitten. Ted asks her out on a date, and the date is successful. The date concludes with Robin being called away for a news story.
    Ted's friends tell him that he was supposed to kiss Robin before she left. Ted goes to Robin's house (“Suited up”, much to Barney's delight), with the company of Marshall, Lily and Barney. He stops at the restaurant of their first date and symbolically steals the blue French horn on the wall and continues on to Robin's apartment with the gang. Things are going great and they are about to kiss when Ted inexplicably and prematurely tells Robin that he loves her, thus destroying his chances with her. After a lingering goodbye, and with the afterthought that he may or may not have missed “the signal” (missing out for the second time on his first kiss with her), Future Ted tells his children that is the story of how he met their aunt Robin.

Continuity

• Ted says he was present in Lily and Marshall's first time. This is explained in season 2 episode "First Time in New York"
    • There's a flashback that shows Barney talking to Ted the night they first met. In season 3 episode "How I Met Everyone Else" we see the whole history.
    • The scene where Marshall opened the champagne bottle and the cork hit Lily's eye was shown in the episode "Zoo or False" and it was also shown that Marshall accidentally hit Lily many times.
    • Robin's recently dumped friend reappears in "Zip, Zip, Zip", again recently dumped.
    • Ted talks about having to take "The Leap".
    Recurring elements introduced in this episode

• The blue French horn, is referenced when Ted brings a whole musical ensemble with blue instruments to Robin's apartment as a surprise in "Come On."
    • Ranjit, the cab driver, who drives a limo for them on New Year's Eve in the later episode "The Limo," reappears in several other episodes during the series.
    • Marshall doing the robot.
    • Barney's catchphrase "Suit up!," which has been modified and used in many later episodes.
    • The "Have You Met Ted?" game, which is used by Barney and Ted to introduce women to Ted, and later is adapted for other characters (Robin and Marshall).
    • Barney insisting that he is Ted's best friend.
    • Barney breaking up words by saying "wait for it" in between syllables.
    • Barney's phrase "What up!"
    • References to Barney's blog.
    • Barney's love of laser tag.
    • The scene where Future Ted's kids saying "What!" is shown again in the episode Last Cigarette Ever.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

I wont be throwing every episode up here - but the pilot is the pilot. Such a great first episode, even though the show doesn't find it's real feet for a few more weeks, still a funny and heart warming 20 minutes.

10. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I like that the mother ends up being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Fits with the way the series has gone from funny and forgettable to just forgettable.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    i tried to watch this show years ago cuz people were talking about it and got bored pretty quick. the other weekend some buddies of mine were hanging around and they had it on netflix as background noise and i just had to stop and cringe. i think its the fact that its so transparently targeted and then knowing that this is how these creators/writers see me and then i get nauseous and hate myself

12. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    Season 1. Episode 5: Okay, Awesome.
    Robin has been invited to come to "Okay," a new dance club. Ted and Barney agree to come, but Marshall and Lily are hosting a wine-tasting party so that they can begin to be more mature. Ted and Barney go to the club; Ted has agreed to meet Robin's friend Kelly while Barney decides to find a "cutlet" and grind with her all night.

This episode, in my mind, is the real beginning of the show. They play with timeframe, play with old Ted's narration, play with the zany of it all (Marshal and Lilly jumping out of the 3rd story window) A classic episode.

13. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    How else are you going to sell true love in such a short amount of time if you don't make her a Manic Pixie Dream Girl? Real characterization takes time.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I've tried to watch this show a few times... I found it incredibly boring, though.

15. Luke_Sparkewalker

Oct 23, 2001
    okay - seems there aren't many fans around these parts...

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    That shouldn't matter... continue with your copy/paste thread.

17. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I watch the show on Netflix. Just waiting for the current season to go up. Honestly will probably be a let down ending for me. After all these seasons of Ted going after Robin any ending where he doesn't end up with her just makes it seem like a waste of time and effort. Maybe if the mother was a character from the beginning of the show it would work better for me. But the idea he's just going to drop or transfer all his feelings for Robin to the mother just rubs me the wrong way.

Eh, maybe it'll end with him narrating that since polygamy was legalized in the future they all got married.

18. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    It used to be amusing. This season is cringe worthy awful.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    GenAntilles did you not watch the first episode? Part of the reason the show sucks now is because they wasted all this time with pointless Robin romantic interludes even though they told us in the very first episode their relationship would never amount to anything.

Penguinator likes this.
  20. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Yeah I suppose. I guess it was always going to be disappointing at the end.
    Of course I always thought by now it would've been revealed that his future narrations are nothing more than him imagining telling his kids the story in the future, and thus are not set in stone.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'd say he's absolutely correct, Jello. They were doomed to do this from the moment that the mother was not a principal cast member. It reduced every new female addition to a "will it be her?" question that rapidly got tiresome. And because they could only introduce one woman at a time, there was never any real suspense around the question, nor could you build up a thoughtful, meaningful interaction over a long period. So what do you have left, without either a central mystery to solve or a thoughtful relationship between two well-developed characters to watch unfold? Nothing, basically. Just a crappy, substanceless succession of moments--largely this season, in other words.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Were that true, then the show would be doomed from the start. It had a good first half run, and then declined sharply to be a tedious, self-congratulatory slog. That wasn't because Robin or some other established character wasn't the mother, that was because they kept it going too long and kept rehashing the same tired plots over and over.

23. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Whoa...Wocky maybe the show is like...a metaphor for life...

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    So basically, How I Met Your Mother is a little disappointing, because life is a little disappointing.

GenAntilles likes this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Are we talking about the cereal, the magazine, or the board game?