main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC ~*~ The Ewan McGregor Fan Club of the JCC ~*~

Discussion in 'Community' started by Quarantine, Mar 19, 2002.

1. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    You don't think it would seem questionable and out of place for a repressed British scientist with a low key marriage to someone named Mary to have a huge tattoo with the names Eve, Clara, Esther, Anouk and Jamyan on his arm?

2. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    As a committed actor, I'm sure Ewan wants to give the fullest most complete performance of a character that he can, including lines, mannerisms, look, clothes, make-up, accent and everything he's capable of doing to give a realistic, convincing portrayal of someone else. It has nothing to do with him as a person, but his job as an actor. He's hired to be *someone else* for the sake of a story that he and others want to tell well. Besides the image of the tattoo itself being unique to who *Ewan Mcgregor* is - I'm pretty sure there are very few other people he could possibly portray that have those five specific names as the five most important people in their lives...

It's not a 'take' - they don't show big personal tattoos on actors in movies when it doesn't fit the character because it doesn't fit the character. Same as why a British actor would learn an American accent when playing an American accent, or wear a wedding being when playing a married character, or dye their hair, or grow a beard, of wear glasses. They become someone else and want outward appearances to match what is true to that character.

I'm dismayed you just say you disagree without saying exactly what you disagree with or why with reasons, beyond just seeming to want to pick an argument.

3. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I'm not a fan of tattoos either, but for some unknown reason I just love this one on Ewan [face_love] lol. In that pic in particular I actually think the blue-green color in his tattoo really highlights his eyes and I looovvveee it :D

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I agree with Ash and Val. I can totally see why they would not want his tats showing in a movie, depending on the character he is playing. And, like Val, I watch mainly his eyes (oh, those eyes! [face_love]) and his body language…I rarely think about his tat…I've just had the opportunity lately to watch several of his movies on cable and I just notice that his right arm is rarely shown bare.

serendipityaey likes this.
  5. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    I'm not a big fan of tats either, and I'm not crazy about the way his covers so much of his arm, but I do love the devotion he is showing for his wife and children by displaying their names on his arm.

Veloz likes this.
  6. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    I agree :)

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Wow, can you please relax already? I wasn't attacking you or Ewan. I don't personally like tattoos either I was simply saying I don't like when an actor has to hide themselves in such a manner for a part. I wasn't questioning Ewan's integrity at all.

8. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I did not think or say that you were questioning Ewan's integrity because he has a tattoo. Covering a tattoo to play a character in a movie has nothing to do with forcing an actor to hide himself, but everything to do with portraying a character honestly and comprehensively with the utmost of respect and dedication to the original material and the character. I think any good actor would say that they would 'hide themselves' in any possible way they could so to become the character completely and that they love being able to do that - it's the entirety of their job to become someone else, it's professional and responsible to do so in any way.

I don't think Obi- Wan Kenobi has a half sleeve tattoo with 5 girls names and I don't want to see that in a star wars movie, and I don't think Fred Jones, who won't even allow himself a sip of champagne to celebrate if it's not the weekend would have a huge tattoo and I don't want to be taken completely out of the movie and the impact of the story by seeing that during the film.

Ewan McGregor has that tattoo and I think it's awesome and sexy and perfectly him and I love seeing it in pics if he wants to show it. In a movie, he's hired, paid and given the responsibility of being someone else in order to tell a story that means something.

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I agree too, (although my son got one and hid it from me for awhile until I asked why he was wearing a long sleeved shirt in the middle of summer, :oops:[face_rofl] ) it would look silly if in his various characters they showed his tattoo, that's why they pay the big bucks to the make up artists who cover them up. They did a magnificent job in Salmon fishing, I tried to see if I could see it when he was swimming, it was covered really well. What about that black hair and black mo for Jane got a gun, I wasn't wrapped in his golden locks being so black, but it had to be for the movie.

10. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Has that movie come out yet?

Yeah, I'm not sure about that black hair/black mo look, but I know it was for the movie. I need to see him in the movie to decide it I like it or not. In pics, he looks really different.

I noticed another actor has some of Ewan's awesome features, and this guy is really good looking, but he doesn't melt me like Ewan does. John Barryman (I think that's his name) from Dr. Who and then Torchwood. He has dark air, but son and I have been watching Torchwood, and I notice he has blue/grey eyes that sometimes look blue and sometimes grey, he also has a cleft chin and dimples when he smiles. He is really gorgeous, but I'm not as taken with him and I have been with Ewan. He has a lot of charm as well, but I don't know…perhaps all those gorgeous features with lighter hair and scottish charm all wrapped up in Obi-Wan Kenobi just took my breath away. Ewan's still my favorite, hands down. [face_love]

11. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    It will be very interesting to see! I think he's a bad guy too. I don't know when that movie is out but haven't heard anything about it so they must still be working on it.

There is something extra special about Ewan obimom :D

12. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Ewan with black hair would be a sight. I may try to look that up. I think Ewan can do a very complex and worthy dark character just as he does a flawed but striving light grey one or a mid-grey one in disagreeable circumstances. He is one that showcases humanity regardless of who he's doing. That is very courageous. It seems very few do that.

obimom likes this.
  13. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Jane Got a Gun hasnt come out yet. Last i read it's gonna be released in August of this year.

This is going to be his look in the film. It's so strange! lol, but i'm looking forward to it for sure :D
    [​IMG]

14. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    I think the look will work really well as the western bad guy! :D I'm jut thrilled to once again watch Ewan play a character that's completely different. He's one of the best at becoming the character, to me. I like Leo DiCaprio, for instance, but he always looks and seems like Leo. Ewan always disappears into the role :D

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I find the look curious. I don't find it Western in tone at all. It's def different. Wonder what'll he'll sound like.

16. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    The mustache in particular is distinctly cowboy/western style and he looked really great in the pics he posted while filming in the full cowboy garb.

17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting. I didn't think so. I'd like to see him in the character's garb.

18. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Based on what do you not think it's western? I'm sure the artists and producers that made the movie put a lot of thought and hard work into what kind of look they wanted there character's to have to make an authentic movie.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It simply doesn't strike me as such. I fail to see why you seem to think I'm knocking something simply for having a different view. I didn't call authenticity into question you are assuming. For me that look is very modern.

20. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    [​IMG]

I saw him in a picture with long hair and a full beard, when he came over to shoot the movie called Son of a Gun
    Seeing it was filmed in Australia, I suppose he will be in character as a bush ranger. We don't have western movies out here...We're all bushrangers.
    It was kind of weird that he's in two movies with Gun in the title.

21. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Yeah, to me the mustache seems westerny lol. I look forward to seeing him in character though, with the hat and all, and seeing him as a bad guy :D

22. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Absolutely, don't recall seeing him as a bad guy yet. Oh yes, Haywire he was kinda bad.

23. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Yeah Haywire he was not a very good guy! I'm looking forward to what he does with it! I love the different roles he chooses

24. Veloz

Aug 30, 2004
    Well if you count Angels & Demons, he wasnt exactly an angel there either ;)

25. serendipityaey

Jan 24, 2004
    Lol, how could we forget that! I think I've completely changed that story in my mind and blocked the ending out of my memory, lol.