main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I can't stand the guy. But we're a forgiving nation, as shown time and time over. I hope he's made amends with family and turned things around.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Doug Nussmeier has left Alabama to become take the same role as OC at Michigan.

I'd say that the chances are close to certain that his replacement at Alabama will be Lane Kiffin. Say what you want about Kiffin as a head coach, but he was incredible at USC as a coordinator and receivers coach, and he's dynamite on the recruiting trail. When you pair him with the best coach and best defensive coordinator in the game, it's a big upgrade for Alabama, who will likely be looking to implement more no-huddle (in addition to defending it better).

Edit: James Franklin likely to Penn State. Vanderbilt would be wise to go after Schiano. May be a significant step down from the NFL for him, but it's not so much from Rutgers, and now that the Vandy fan base has tasted success, they don't want to take a big step back.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I just wish Louisville wound come out and say "look, were taking a step up in competition moving to the ACC, and we have the possibility to hire a coach who knows how to win and recruit in Louisville, and has done so on other big stages. We don't care about anything else. We want to win, and play in the biggest Bowl Games, and for the National Championship."

Also, Vandy is a tough job. You need exactly the right guy in there to succeed. Outside of Northwestern and Duke, winning elsewhere isn't necessarily a predictor of winning there. I mean, for all his strengths and talent, I'm not sure even a guy like Saban would be a slam dunk at Vandy. But, if they're willing to take a one year bowl ban, Tressel might be a good name to chase.

4. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree with everything you said. Tressel would be big for Vanderbilt- similar to when SC landed Lou. Probably his last stop, but a little star power goes a long way.

5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Tressel is an outstanding football coach. His baggage sort of makes him a scratch and dent bargain for a mid-level university. Despite the circumstances of his exit from the Buckeyes, I do hope he gets one more head gig before he hangs up his sweater vest.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Good call as the Kiffin interviews are being reported this morning... :p

7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    He spent some time with Saban and the staff this fall as a midseason "offensive consultant" after SC let him go. This job should allow him to rebuild his image a bit, under a great coach and program- win a lot, probably another championship or two, and then give the head coaching thing another shot. He's 38 years old, so he shouldn't be in any hurry.

8. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Kiffin could do a LOT worse than spending a lengthy period as Saban's right hand. Could he parlay that into being the next Head Coach of the Crimson Tide? If it was a lengthy enough stint, and he was still on staff when Saban left, I could see it happening.

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Hey DarthIntegral - here's something that will make you happy.

[​IMG]

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Slight language warning, from the crowd

11. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Welp, we'll see what happens next for a Vanderbilt coach. I don't particularly have expectations of a winning season in the future just since, well, Vandy.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    UT announced that we've sold 35K tickets for the 2016 game at Bristol Motor Speedway against Va. Tech. We were originally allotted 40K total. which will expand significantly- they're bringing in extra seating, and the speedway already seats 160K.

This game is going to be unbelievable.

[​IMG]

We also stole a 4-star RB commit from South Carolina yesterday, that's our third 4-star back in this year's class, moving us up to the #4 class in the country. Seventeen 4-star commits, Seventeen 3-star commits. We should be in good shape if half of them work out.

14. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I was going to say something about bringing binoculars, but that seemed unappropriated. I think a telescope would be much better.

15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    By 2016, we may all be wearing Google Glass with built in telescopes.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Northwestern Football players start process towards unionization

This will probably end up being a largely symbolic move with no teeth. After all, do we really want to go down this road? It might be good for a relatively small number of football players and an even smaller number of basketball players, but do we want the women's swim team being considered employees, and getting minimum wage or work study pay in lieu of a scholarship?

17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Northwestern football players win at the regional level of the NLRB

Decision is expected to be appealed to the national level of the NLRB in Washington and could eventually reach the U.S. Supreme Court.

Also, this page on the NLRB website has a link to the full text of the decision (PDF download), which contains quite a lot of detail.

I personally expect that this will end up before the Supreme Court. And after scanning through the PDF of the decision, I don't really see any way they could rule that they are not employees. I just hope that the union only pushes for better work conditions and doesn't try to bully the NCAA into allowing the players to be paid wages.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jay Bilas, as always, gives outstanding analysis of the situation. From Olbermann last night:

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Hey. Hey guys.

14 weeks till football is back

heels1785 likes this.
  20. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    According to ESPN we are one of the 16 teams with a chance to win the NC this year.
    We play LSU first game of the year and actually that's good they will be starting a FR QB and a ton of other FR who will of course get better as the year goes on.
    We are one of the few teams that can actually play big physical with anyone and we return 4/5 of our huge OL and our starting QB along with a legit Heisman Candidate at RB. Our Defense is very good and LSU will struggle to be steady with all those frosh starters (true frosh BTW). We threw away two games last year this year I don't think so. I want tOSU so bad in the BigTen Title game God I hate tOSU.

ON WISCONSIN

21. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    LMAO tOSU opens at NAVY and we play LSU.
    Did Urban Meyer schedule that or did Tressel before he got axed for cheating.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes, and then in the second week while OSU is playing Virginia Tech, you'll be engaged in an epic battle with Western Illinois. Navy beats Notre Dame and regularly plays in bowls. Western Illinois last played in a bowl in 2003 and last won one in 1998.

Coming off of a 2013 season where you scheduled Tennessee Tech and UMass, criticizing other teams' schedule difficulty should be done quite carefully.

23. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Why in the world did my post get changed from "inappropriate" to "unappropriated"? I never typed that. It makes zero sense now. [face_laugh]

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, a female version of Mark May?

Ohhhhh ... not that kind of DB ...

heels1785 likes this.