main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Game of the Month: January 2014

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is an experiment. If this works this will be the format for all future GotM threads.

Welcome to the Game of the Month thread for January 2014. Here are the games I have on my list.

Don't Starve
    Don't Starve is an action-adventure game, incorporating features of a survival horror, set in an open world environment. It is developed and published by Klei Entertainment. The game was released on Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux through Steam on April 23, 2013. It will be later ported to the PlayStation 4 on January 7, 2014.
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    The action hack and slash video game, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, wasdeveloped by Platinum Games and produced by Kojima Productions. It is now being ported to the PS4.
    Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD
    Assassin's Creed III: Liberation is a historical action-adventure open world stealth video game developed and published by Ubisoft, initially as an exclusive title for PlayStation Vita. Sony announced the game at its press conference during the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012, few days after first leaks about the game presented in Game Informer. It was released on October 30, 2012 alongside Assassin's Creed III, with which it can be linked. It is now being ported to PSN, Windows, and the XB One
    The Banner Saga
    The Banner Saga is a Viking-themed tactical role-playing video game under development by Stoic, a trio of indie game developers formerly of BioWare. It is to be released as a single player campaign, The Banner Saga: Chapter 1 – the first of a projected trilogy – as well as a separate free-to-play online multiplayer game, The Banner Saga: Factions.
    Might & Magic X: Legacy
    Might & Magic X: Legacy is the latest installment of the Might and Magic role-playing video game series, announced on March 21, 2013, developed by Limbic Entertainment and published by Ubisoft. Instead of being a sequel to Might and Magic IX the game will follow the events of Might & Magic Heroes VI and is set in the world of Ashan. It is set to be released on August 19, 2013 as a downloadable title for Microsoft Windows.
    Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
    Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is a fighting video game based on the manga and anime franchise Dragon Ball, and is the first new game in the series to be released since Dragon Ball Z: For Kinect in 2012. The game will be developed by Artdink and published by Namco Bandai Games. This entry will feature the first video game appearance of Goku's Super Saiyan God form, Bills and Wiss on a home console.
    Tomb Raider
    Tomb Raider is a 2013 action-adventure video game published by Square Enix. Tomb Raider is the fifth title developed by Crystal Dynamics in the Tomb Raider franchise. As the first entry in a new Tomb Raider continuity, the game is a reboot that emphasises the reconstructed origins of the culturally influential lead character Lara Croft.
    Game now being ported to the Xbox One and the PS4.
    Broken Age
    Broken Age is an upcoming point-and-click adventure video game and is Tim Schafer's first in the genre since 1998's Grim Fandango. The game is to be produced and distributed by Schafer's Double Fine Productions for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, iOS, and Android platforms. The game is currently being developed in two acts, with the first Act to be released in January 2014.
    Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse
    Broken Sword 5: The Serpent's Curse is the fifth title in the Broken Sword series of adventure video games, developed and published by Revolution Software, for Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, Android, iOS and PlayStation Vita. The game is being released in two episodes: the first was made available on 4 December 2013; the second will be released in January 2014.
    Halo: Spartan Assault
    Halo: Spartan Assault is a top-down third-person shooter video game developed by 343 Industries and Vanguard Entertainment. Part of the Halo series, it was first released on July 18, 2013 for Microsoft Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 platforms. However the game was released on December 23, 2013 on Xbox One and it will be released in January 2014 on Xbox 360.

That is all of the games on my list. Pick a game from above or another game from this month and tell down below. Also feel free to discuss your choice.

May the Force be with You All and God bless.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    No it's not. It's coming to PC, but not the PS4.

Also should re-releases count as a new game? Because if so Metal Gear Solid 3 was my GOTY thanks to the legacy box set released in June.

Penguinator likes this.
  3. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Broken Age. It's probably the only game I'm excited for. I was one of the kickstarter backers and I've been following the development of it and it's been great to see all the behind the scenes stuff that goes into making a game. It's been really interesting and I can't wait to play the game.

Also looking forward to Assassin’s Creed Liberation HD, but not so much. I like the idea of the main character being female, but if it's only on the Xbox One then I won't get to play it for a while.

4. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Same here. Too many re-releases.

5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Is Assassins Creed available for the 360 or is it just for One?

Nvm just googled it and it is indeed for the 360 as well.

6. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD is only for current-gen consoles, so not the Xbox One.

I'm a massive AC fan, but I've heard the story is incredibly disjointed and that having to use the Lady persona (which doesn't allow you to climb or do any free-running at all) is incredibly annoying, especially as it's forced upon you. Unless reviews say more than it's graphics have been improved from the Vita version, I'll just wait for AC5 in October.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I guess Tomb Raider, a game that came out in the spring of 2013, can be considered a new game if it's rereleased in 2014.

8. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003
    I just played through Tomb Raider DE, I never played the original version last year. Loved the game.

Django Fett33 likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol

Anyway, Banner Saga. Such a great game.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

That game looks absolutely fantastic - real pity it's getting mired in King's nonsense copyright war.

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I finished Blood Dragon in January, so I'm voting it game of 2014 too.