main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I have a question. Are their any decent stories that include Tarkin? I so don't want any that just paint him as an animal please. I want to respect Cushing's memory.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do larger time units look like in SW? If I want to convey that something happened one mouth before do I writ "one mouth ago", "one standard mouth ago", or something else?

3. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I've seen both used in profics, but I personally prefer plain old "x month(s) ago". Adding the 'standard' always felt like the writer was trying too hard to be flavourful.

TrakNar likes this.
  4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I simple use the word month. I think it is assumed it is a standard month unless you write something that puts that in question…such you were talking about some other time unit earlier.

I have a question. If I am writing a story that takes place sometime before the battle of Yavin…then how would I put that down? Because at 10 BBY the Battle of Yavin has not happened. That would be like somebody writing on a scroll at 100 BC putting down 100 BC. I assume there was another way to tell the passing of time prior to the Death Star getting blown up. Has anybody seen how dates were determined prior to BBY?

5. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Ewok_Slayer and Gamiel like this.
  6. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Can a Jedi use the Force through a deflector shield? I know Vader can choke a person on another ship. You would think all spacecraft would have minimal shielding on at all times to ward against space junk hitting it. But then I think of the fight between Darth Maul and Qui-Gon Jinn and didn't they have to stop for some shields? If they could use the Force through a shield why didn't Maul Force choke them?

7. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Jedi can use the Force to resist the choking.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Does that mean the shields don't hinder the use of the Force from one side to the other?

9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Seeing as how C'baoth throttled Thrawn while on another ship, then yes, they can use the Force through shields.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Good one, TrakNar. [face_laugh] Poor Thrawn.

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That is what I thought. I wonder why the Jedi actually did dogfights in their StealthXs at all. If they aren't fighting Vong they should just jerk the steering yoke of the enemy fighter and crash him into something. So what was that field that trapped Obi-Wan where Count Dooku talked to him? How come Obi-Wan didn't pick up something with the Force and bash the Count's head in? Or why didn't he use the Force to push the button to turn the damn thing off? Also, why can't Luke pick up battle droids up with the Force and bash them together? I always thought it may have something to do with shielding.

12. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    That was a Force cage, designed to hold a Force-user and is as powerful as the plot demands.

13. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Jedi_Lover: I always got the impression that it's a question of effort vs payoff. A Jedi probably could mess with an enemy pilot's controls if he really wanted to, and if he had no distractions, but the effort involved in manipulating that small an object inside a fighter that's travelling at a few hundred kilometers per second would be immense, so you could probably only do it once or twice before you exhausted yourself. More efficient to just jump in your own ship and shoot the bad guy. Similarly, although Luke probably could pick up and mash the droids together, why bother when he could just ricochet a blaster bolt back into them or slice them in half? Same result with much less effort.

Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    [face_laugh]

You've got to watch out for those conveniently limited or expandable powers. They are very handy, but when applied too much, they can make the story look fake and dull.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's the trouble. The movies and the profics have Jedi abilities all over the place…so I get confused as to what Jedi can and cannot do.

16. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Yeah, they kinda do. Part of that is probably the medium's fault; the movies have limitations with budgets and effects that the books don't have to worry about, so the authors have freedom to be a bit more... creative with the Force.

I think the best thing to do is pick a level you like and stick with that, which is what I believe most of the profic authors do. Luceno, for example, tends to have his Force users extremely powerful, while Zahn has them relatively sedate, but they maintain whatever level they chose throughout their work. As long as your consistent that's all you should have to worry about.

17. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    So i was doing some genealogical charting for my fics and originally put luke and leia's birthday as 18 BSW4 but wookiepedia says that they were born 19 BBY. Now in the excel spreadsheet i had made, a few years back, i also listed Corran Horn as 18 BSW4 and in wookiepedia it is 18 BBY So why is there a discrepancy with Luke and Leia's birthday?

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    As far as I know, Luke and Leia's birthdays were always 19bby/BSW4. I'm fairly new to the fandom, compared to others, so there may have been some debate regarding their birthday before EP III, but that's just my guess.

19. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I believe that according to the novelization of ANH, Luke is 19. Granted, IIRC they have Leia as 16, but that's what I've always gone by.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That likely is due to the whole not being twins/brother-sister yet, thing. There are many diverse contraindications all through the SW universe even between and within the films.

21. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    Well, yes. Obviously.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Related:
    “Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”Mark Twain

24. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    So ive been thinkig about a brand new story idea . Its inspired by the Tv show the wallking dead and I dream I had.

Basically a ship crashes to a planet with a virus..and chaos ensues

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Ta

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    How do people do with slang? I have a group of spacers that I want to speak heavy slang with out using hutties or mando