main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    That's a pretty interesting critique of the Vong. Supposedly they were originally going to be Sith Purebloods, but then this was changed. I think it would have been better had it not changed. Then they might not just be Space Orcs as you hilariously term it, but something more related to Jedi-Sith history. And maybe some pathos would have been generated.

The Hellhammer, Iron_lord and Ryus like this.
  2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    "the Vong are just space Orcs."

Now that you mention it, that's an excellent way to put it.

The Hellhammer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  3. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  5. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Damn! You beat me to it! :p

I don't think you're being fair at all. Yes, it sucks for those devoted fans of the EU. But let's be honest, alot of it was sub-par (read SUCKED.) Chewie killed by a moon?! C'mon, man! Yes, George signed off on it, but it wasn't what he wanted to tell. He hedged his bets in that IF he didn't want to or couldn't tell stories beyond ROTJ he had something in place for the fans. Give him credit for that. Also, look on the bright side -- those devoted fans of the EU have helped build Star Wars and give George the resources to continue SW even now. Lastly, it's also unfair to Disney in that they spent alot of money on this franchise, this phenomenon. In order to ultimately do the best job, make the best movies, and tell the best stories they absolutely CANNOT be handcuffed to medocrity. Not only that but they should be able to surprise the audience and NOT have to be faithful to medocre writing and less than mediocre ideas.

I fully support the rumors in that article. NOT only that but I am thrilled with the idea that Michael Arndt could already be working on Episode 8!!!

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, no...

They're still being loyal to the core of characters and we got huge hints in this that Kyle Katarn, Corran Horn, Mara Jade Skywalker, Ben Skywalker, Jaina Solo, and Jacen Solo will be adapted in just with new names so their stories can evolve in new ways. We all knew the EU was dead, well 95% of us... but this all but confirms the arc types and character designs will survive, at least for the bigger and more popular characters. They didn't have to do this at all, in fact it more we appricate all that money over the years so we took an effort we didn't need to, sorry but we did have too reboot the names but its only since we always believed Star Wars should be one massive universe and we had to sperate the old EU some how.

On a side note though... Moriband[face_plain] ... not Korriban? Yeah that does nothing for me... can we dump the 'd'? Makes the dark side sound like some kinda bandaid or punk rock group... Sigh, hopefully they put more effort into Mara's new name... can she still be an agent for the Emperor codenamed Jade at least, please? I like that she'll still be the same arc type, she was always a great foil to Luke and and insanely strong female character... now we don't have to worry about the MJ jokes on the plus side at least.

Oh well, I can adapt to new names... especially if they're 95% the same characters (at introduction) I've adapeted to countless name changes to superheroes and such before in other verses, I can do so here too.

Hey, does the name change of Moriband retcon TOR too... some good things can come from this I suppose.:D Hopefully it means KotOR can be the inspiration for the next trilogy...

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Maybe, just maybe Moriband is some other Sith planet, I know the name sounds way too similar for mere coincidence, but maybe Moriband is actually a moon of Korriban (it has 7 moons) or a planet in the same system, I mean we have Tatooine and Dantooine for what it's worth. Earlier in that arc Yoda goes to the deep core to the origin of the force, but the planet is not named, I wonder if they at least kept Tython...

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Tython was a great planet in Doctor Who circa 1980. I love The Creature From The Pit.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    both worlds can't be the homework of the Sith EU states one while write up of the Yoda ep says another, nice theory though otherwise...

10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Love these rumors. Especially the idea of combining Lumiya and Mara Jade.

I doubt the Moriband rumor is totally accurate. Probably misreported somehow.

I believe Diggs was one of the few people raising the idea that Arndt went to work on E8. If true, hilarious how people became hysterical.

11. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    Now this would be a great title for EPVII[face_dancing]

[​IMG]

Echo-07 and Krueger like this.
  12. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Right, because Lucas has such a long history of caring about what the EU did and working it into his stories like that.

There are quotes out there from Kennedy and Abrams saying that Episode VII will be original, not follow the EU etc... Why do people refuse to believe them?

13. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Lucas is no longer in charge.

The story can be original while using the same character. Lets face it Rebels is meant to be original but some of it's characters are more like ANH MK2

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  14. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

They working off his story treatments, he is still involved in creative meetings, they are still goign to him to for creative answers and directions.

Kennedy said that unlike Harry Potter Star Wars doesn't have a series of novels to serve as the template for the stories. The adventures of Ben, Jacen and Jaina solo, Luke being marrried to Mara Jade etc... would be a story template.

15. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    No EU characters are going to be used. Sounds like they want to use Mara Jade but she won't be called Mara Jade in the films, she will be someone else. Also, it says JJ has met with Timothy Zahn a couple of times. Could that mean we're getting a Thrawn but he won't be called Thrawn? Sure seems like it.

16. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    you know nothing jon snow

17. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    There's no reason why they can'y include those characters and still have it as "original". They've been doing it for 5 years on this show called Star Wars: The Clone Wars, you might have heard of it yes?

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  18. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    If you think Mara Jade is still Mara Jade when they would be mixing her with Lumiya and calling her by a different name, then I'm Luke Skywalker.

TheBBP likes this.
  19. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Except Kennedy has said they aren't use the EU as templates for the movies.

As soon as people start to accept all that, some website wanting hits says they are using EU characters and people lose their minds about it again.

Bennihana and TheBBP like this.
  20. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    sup Luke, can I borrow the X-Wing?

I know that, for all we know Luke, Han and Leia all get killed off and Mara Jade and the kids carry the movies and I'd be fine with that.

21. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Honestly I feel getting rid of Iconic EU character names, even if "replaced" by all but identical characters(without or with very similar names) is moronic, its a bad call since a big portion of the EU fans won't react well to it regardless of you keeping EU arc types and character designs. I get the logic of wanting to prove these characters will have different destinies... but having other huge changes right off the bat such as Mara being alive when she's dead in the EU serves the same purpose, especially if she's now the mother of two or was an inquisitor and not an Emperors Hand etc... there are huge fan groups to each of these characters and some aren't going to take kindly to this.

I feel Korriban to Moriband is an insult to my intelligence on some level, its flat out saying they're doing these changes for the dumbest person in the room. I am of the opinion to never pander to 'that' crowd. I mean will Lukes wife become Lara now just so we merge mARA and Lyumina and changing her last name to Shade cause it rhymes with Jade and implies a darker past like Lyumina had (which I'm 100% fine with her having a darker past)... sorry but I feel that's uneeded.

Again I get the why... I agree that these new characters shouldn't have the same destinies... just that I feel this whole name change game is 'Im not saying its Aliens, buts its Aliens' or in this case 'Im not saying it character A but its character A' logic... no offence LFL but on principle I HATE THAT KINDA LOGIC... that said I really do appricate trying to incorporate the EU into Lucas's story treatments if this rumor is true. However I've lived though many other franchises rebooting and changing the names imho does a disservice to people since they need to learn to seperate [expanded] universes in franchises. Even DC with their New 52 reboot wasn't dumb enough to make Batman no longer be Bruce Wayne but Bradly Warner for example, even Supergirl didn't get a name change (from the core original one anyways) and she's far removed from a big 3 cast member.

I'd understand renaming Jagged Fel or even Jacen Solo (I mean really, its just Jason spelled poorly... and it was named after a neighbors kid, a name that should have never been approved imho). Now I'm here on the spoiler thread to embrace the coming changes to the EU so I won't go into VII with preconceptions and can enjoy it for what it is and not what it isnt, so likely by 2 years from now I'll have made my peace with any name changes (though still have thought it was done for poor reasons) however I'm flat out warning you many EU fans will give you a ton of flack for this and they will be quite vocal about it... they are not like me willing to brace themselves for changes like these that are all but what they want (and 95% of them don't want rehashes of the EU either)

Circular Logic and Odolwa like this.
  22. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    They could get ride of the whole EU and it will mean nothing, in the long run, to the fan base or how the movies does.

Bennihana likes this.
  23. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    What a load of generic garbage.

"It's Mara Jade, but it's not Mara Jade."
    "Luke's love interest will have similar qualities"
    "There will be Jedi who resemble EU Jedi, but they aren't the EU Jedi"
    "The Solo kids are like the Solo kids, but aren't Jacen and Jaina"

Seriously? That is like self-fulfilling prophecy. When we do finally find out these characters, there will no doubt be similarities and these people can say "See, we were right!". If by chance they really are just copying and pasting EU characters and then renaming them, then that is one of the biggest copouts ever. They may as well just adapt the EU if they are going to be that lazy about it.

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    You mean other than annoy the hell out of the key fan base that finacally supported them for the huge real life time gaps between the films... the ones most likely to again blow tons of money on Star Wars merchandise? Beyond little kids its the second biggest deomgraphic of who spends money on the merchandise... this group is arguably its most important client.

Odolwa likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    So the EU is finally hitting the fan. I've been waiting for this...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.