main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    An important thing to remember is that the EU is not going away. You can always go back and reread the Thrawn trilogy if you want. I'm reading it now for the first time and I'm enjoying it for what it is, but at the same time I understand that the new films will look nothing like it. The characters aren't being taken from you. Enjoy it for what it is, but nothing is truly canon outside of the films.

2. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I wonder if Lucas, Arndt, Abrams, Kennedy, and Kasdan have a firm idea of how Episode IX ends.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    After the doomsday predictions Arndt's departure caused if he's just been working on Episode VIII this whole time then [face_laugh]!

4. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    My thing is I don't get why there is a segment of the fan base that has some sort of hatred, disgust, or general displeasure towards the EU and EU fans. I mean, it's like there's some out there who are just waiting for official confirmation so that they then can jump up and down and gleefully yell "I told you so, I told you so! Yay no more EU!!"

Show a little respect and sympathy. We're all fans of Star Wars. By no means do you have to like or enjoy any of the EU, but at least realize many fans do, and many fans were well invested in it (both financially, emotionally, etc) and for those fans, myself included, it's like a bit of the galaxy has died (and/or is dying). Yes, the books, comics, and so forth will always be there---my books aren't going anywhere---but it's not the same anymore.

We're a very diverse fan base, and we each like different things about Star Wars, but there's no need to bask in glee during a difficult time for some fans.

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't see why people can't just enjoy the stories on their own, instead of absolutely requiring that they must be all part of the larger saga and anything less is Disney telling the fans to go f-themselves.
    Which is still less annoying than when people who are actually, you know, fans of the movies want to, you know, actually discuss the movies but have to deal with endless comments about what happened in some ridiculous EU book somewhere and listen to someone self righteously pontificate about how the EU is canon and cannot be disagreed with.

If there is a segment of fans (like myself) getting ready to gloat over the dissolution of the EU, it is only because the EU-krishnas brought it on themselves by lecturing to us for the past few years over how their canon had to be absolutely listened to and accepted without question.

BigAl6ft6, Bob Octa, Dra--- and 6 others like this.
  6. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Once again in no way does this indicate that the EU is being nuked completely, it only states, again, that parts of the Post-ROTJ is getting replaced.

News flash people: the Post-ROTJ EU is not the entirety of the EU, nor even close to it.

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Exactly. It's not like Disney replaced Shaw or added Vader saying "NOOOOOOO" to one of the films........oh wait [face_waiting]

8. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Exactly! I wonder what Disney's next great idea will be. Add Jar-Jar to the OT?

Oh crud.

9. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Dont give them that idea! [face_nail_biting]

T-R- and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Isn't the Gungan who shouts "Wesa free!" in the newest iteration of the ROTJ celebrations supposed to be Jar Jar? Maybe I'm wrong, it sounds like him though.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    SSSHHHHH! [face_shhh]

T-R- and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I always liked the Cloned Emperor storyline from Dark Empire. It would have been exactly the sort of thing that Sidious would be into.

13. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    Jar Jar wakes up from his maxi big strange bombad dream, and goes looking for da morning munchen.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    But, would you go see a movie where Luke is married to a redheaded ex-imperial, who is perfect at everything and named Betty Skywalker? :)

ScorpionJedi and Odolwa like this.
  15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I could wear blinders - but it's the idea of that.... you know who in Luke's place....

OK, I admit it, a MIABNO (mara in all but name only) would still give me pause....

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    That's why I think changing the names of things is a bad idea. Having Mara in the film, but not calling her Mara, does nothing to improve the story. I'd rather have a whole new character than Mara with a new name.

17. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

It's pretty annoying and sad for me to be honest. I want to enjoy with the others the universe I love and I constantly read how it sux. I see that some people just don't understand that for some fans "EU" means "Star Wars" and by bashing Mara, Jaina or Korriban they are just bashing Star Wars universe in general.

We still don't know what will happen to the Star Wars canon but these times are pretty hard for me as I just want to read about new adventures of Jaina Solo and play SWTOR without worrying about the canonicity of the story. I loved this universe because everything was connected and there was no multiple universes and reboots around, so now I'm pretty worried.

The Kulvax Sisters and Ryus like this.
  18. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    I think this is all a big joke to KK and jj HAH i still belive the EU to be intact in every way . No no denial here !

19. Kabal

Kabal Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Luke was turned into a wimp in the books (even by Zahn, and I loved that trilogy).

There are some decent books out there, and some really interesting ideas, but it doesn't matter. I love what I read for the most part, but I haven't read anything new in probably 8-10 years. I think Thrawn was a cool bad guy but if the films say he didn't exist, I'm fine with that! I love Marvel comics too and you want to talk about contradictions between film and comics? (Hell, even INSIDE the comics)....we can all live with this too. Even those of us who like the films and portions of the EU.

T-R- likes this.
  20. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    But they can improve the character simply by coming up with a new name. "Mara Jade" is not very good.

That Disney is willing to change bad things is great news to me.

I assume "Mara" will have a few other changes as well.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  21. Bennihana

Bennihana Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2014
    The worst thing they could do is keep the characters but change the names. If they go that route they should go ahead and keep the names. I can understand if some elements are similar, like Leia having twins or Luke's wife being a former bounty hunter but the similarities should stop there. It would insult the fans of the EU and make the ST look like some sort of fan-film with writers that couldn't come up with a good enough story on their own so they resort to lifting elements from the novels.

BUT I highly doubt there is any legitimacy to that rumor at all. I'm going to wait until we get a cast list to really dissect all the details we get.

22. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    This + Jaina

Ryus likes this.
  23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd want a lot of changes. I don't want Mara in all but name only, or close to it. Mara being a bad name is subjective, as there are plenty of people who don't mind the name. If they don't want to use EU names then just create all new "better" characters. If they aren't going to use the EU then go all the way and be creative.

Ryus, Odolwa and Vastor like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well us non-readers think it's silly.

25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I really hope this name change business in the latest rumor is just LFL testing the idea, since 95% the EU character is still the EU character and we'll all know it (and tons of upset EU fans will shout it to everyone who will listen, thus negitive press)... I wonder if the Trekkie Scum scared JJ, after the is he Kahn or not craziness that plagued Into Darkness, so much he's afraid to reuse their names. If so he just made the opposite mistake imho :oops: best just to tell us the truth you are using them and their basic arch types, but changing their story and destinies so we can be surprised by the new stories... we'd understand it then and appricate the honesty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.