main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    That's what I'm hoping for. Red for Blu-Ray and for dvd the same thing as the PT/SE

2. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I wouldn't mind another release of the OT if it's the original theatrical releases. That would get my money. Other than that I wouldn't be interested.

3. fuzzbox77

fuzzbox77 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2008
    People - DVD is only expected to have a shelf life for another 2 years at the most. That means Blu-Ray will be the standalone format. And the DVD releases of SW have been around for 12 years from TPM onwards, so will be considered out-dated by the ST.

So all new cover art and whatever Disney/Fox (Fox still holds release rights on the saga at this present time) - so by the release of Episode VII on Blu-Ray - expect something new.

My thoughts - revert back to the theatrical one sheet poster style. other movies have always done this - why does ever SW release have to be quickly Photoshop'ped elements for a cover?

4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

And you know that how?

5. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    I have worked for HMV and saw the sales drop slightly with Blu-Ray come along and still get the info from instore from staff/friends. Other info obtained suggests it hasn't fared well overseas either. Corporate retail sales for DVD's in the UK have dropped considerably opposed to 2 years ago whilst Blu-Ray has taken off even more. DVD has been around for 19 years now. Like VHS (that only lasted 26 years here in the UK), sales of video dropped hugely in 2002-2003.

Alas - nothing ever lasts forever.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    And Blu Ray has been around for at least 11 years.

7. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Personally I can't stand the Star Wars theatrical posters. I greatly prefer the DVD covers.

8. fuzzbox77

Mar 31, 2008
    Which ones though - there have been many.

9. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I like the posters, but I also think it's nice that the DVD covers are different. What I don't like is when studios give different covers for the dvd vs the blu-ray vs the 3d blu-ray. Because whatever version I buy (usually the regular blu), I always like one of the other covers better. That's slightly annoying.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Mainly the first 3 for the OT. I just don't like the blurred/70's retro style. It's not as bad on the Prequel posters but you can still see it.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've always been a fan of the SW casing artwork, also for other movies in general.

But lately, I have noticed that they just don't make 'em like they used to-for ANY movies, not just Star Wars. It's always some sort of screen capture from some certain specific scene in the movie. Not anymore is it an actual poster kind of design like the Star Wars covers from the past...

I hope they go back to this…

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I prefer the cases to match the other films in the saga.

Revious Nugo and Darkslayer like this.
  13. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Agreed, but which set? They've been released so many times at this point that it's hard to "match" with the other trilogies since there are so many different versions out there. I think what we'll see is one artistic direction with all of the DVD/Blu cases for the ST films and then an inevitable 9-film box set for the diehards where everything matches.

14. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    They'll still make DVDs. They want to squeeze all the money they can out of this, of course. And since it's Disney, they've probably make dvd/bluray combo packs.
    I, however, will wait until I can buy the entire sequel trilogy- or perhaps the whole (hopefully complete) saga on bluray.

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I won't have the patience to wait for a boxset, so I'll just have all the single case Blu-rays of the ST and Spin-offs lined up next to my PT and OT DVD's. :p

Revious Nugo and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  16. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I think the last movie boxset I got was the Special Edition trilogy set on DVD. When we got the 'original' films on DVD (the videodisc editions and the Special Editions), I had to buy 'em individually. So, yeah I'm not patient enough either. Besides, I think the extras are better on the individual discs!

Revious Nugo and EHT like this.
  17. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    I hope they use poster art (painted posters, preferably) for the covers rather than the photoshopped floating heads that they used for the decent looking PT DVD boxes and terrible looking OT boxes. I mean, all six films had great art, why not use it? I'd love to have Blu-rays that used these six images as the covers:

[​IMG]

At this point, though, I use The Complete Saga Blu-ray set, so any cover art that they use for the ST and the spinoffs isn't going to match what I currently have. :p

DARTH_BELO and TigerCraneFist like this.
  18. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    I'm hoping for VHS! Have the covers match the '95 "Faces" editions.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    My favorite Star Wars covers were the "last time available" VHS:s back in the 90's, painted by John Alvin. I'd love for them to release the OT DVD:s with those covers. And heck, have him paint new prequel covers and sequel covers in the same vain :D

[​IMG]

Revious Nugo likes this.
  20. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I personally hope they use the current marketing approach we're seeing with The Force Awakens (no episode titles, just Star Wars and the subtitle) when we get an inevitable release of all the films in one set. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

The Bops likes this.
  21. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    I think those are the ones that I own! You mean the ones that have Vader on IV (and battle of Yavin below it), a stormtrooper on V (and battle of hoth below it), and Yoda on VI (with luke vs. vader below it)? I really like those covers, though maybe it's just because they seem to remind me of the Star Wars from my childhood...

I really liked the storybook format they used in the blu-ray release- hope the use that for the inevitable I-IX blu rays.

22. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    Those are the ones! I still have the pan and scan VHS box set, and I pull it out every May the 4th to relieve my nostalgia.

Revious Nugo and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  23. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes, I'm quoting my own post here...
    So, I just found out that John Alvin passed away a few years ago, and reading my post again, well... I feel like an ass.
    Damn good artist!

24. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'd like to see the original art from the OT reconfigured with an overlapped black border and "Episode" font logos to match the PT posters. In my opinion, that would be the best look.

(You know what I mean?)