main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jedi diet -- How you get so big eating food of this kind?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dawud786, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheJediBrah

TheJediBrah Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 6, 2013
    Obviously the Jedi would are smart enough to know that there is really no such thing as "healthy" and "unhealthy" foods, just the overall diet that is important, unlike 99% of the Western population. As such they're not going to pointlessly deny themselves of ever eating certain foods because of an ignorant and irrational fear that it's "bad for them".

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    While I agree that some here in the West are rather ridiculous when it comes to diet assumptions and labels, some things are indeed unhealthy. One would not eat a poisonous mushroom or fungus and not expect consequences.

3. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Lol true. I would forgive someone referring to a poisonous fungus, pufferfish, rancid meat etc as "unhealthy food". I was referring more specifically to the "burger and chips" comment earlier, but you make a good point.

4. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006

I don't think you're going to find anyone arguing that potato chips or french fries are a particularly healthful food choice.

The overall diet is the important thing, but a regular habit of burgers and fries is a recipe for disaster. 99% of the Western population seems to do just that, in part because many of the producers of such foods formulate them specifically to have addictive effects on the consumer. There are indeed foods that trigger hormonal responses that induce people to over-indulge.

Contessa and Gamiel like this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

The table is set. What was on it and did they eat?

TheJediBrah likes this.
  6. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

Vader needs a hyperberic chamber, so he's out. I'm guessing some Stormies had a decent lunch at Lando's expense though.

Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  7. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, unless you're Andrew Zimmern.

8. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Which is exactly what I just said? Bad diet is bad diet, regardless of what individual foods it's made up of (to an extent). If your classification of an "unhealthful" food is one that, if it were to make up a large proportion of one's diet then it would lead to a bad diet, then that's fair enough. But once again that just circles back around to being the diet that's important. How can eating a burger and fries be "unhealthy" if your diet is perfect? hint: it's not.

Not physically addictive. Psychologically addictive maybe, but anything that people like can be psychologically addictive. You can be addicted to the taste of fatty, salty, sugary food, or addicted to the ease of consumption of fast food compared with having to prepare a meal.
    So I agree somewhat.

Edit:
    I think you're clutching at straws a little bit, but still bringing up some interesting points.

Ordo N-11 likes this.
  9. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
  10. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Great, but not really relevant at all

It seems like another of those studies that's like "we've always known this, but now it has clinical support"

11. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

It's a physical addiction.

Contessa likes this.
  12. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    1 - no it's not, unless you're lacing your food with opioids or benzodiazepines
    2 - Even if it was true (which it's not), it's still completely irrelevant. Saying that a food is "unhealthy" because someone might get "addicted" to it after eating it once and taking up a bad diet means nothing. It's like me saying that having 2 legs chopped off is healthy because it makes you less likely to go out of the house and into dangerous situations.

More accurately, it would be like saying that red wine is "unhealthy" because you can get physically addicted to alcohol (except that's true, unlike what you said). But that's the opposite of the truth. Moderate, regular intake of red wine is very good for you.

13. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

You are very behind on the science. Obviously. You're also splitting hairs. I'm not sure what you consider physical if hormonal addiction isn't physical. That's precisely what a cocaine addiction is. Dopamine.

And the addictive properties of the food isn't what makes it unhealthy. It's ridiculously unsafe levels of certain nutrients, formulated in such a way as to induce over-eating, like salt, fat and sugar that makes it unhealthy. I'm simply shocked at your idiocy and pedantry here.

The science on that one really does not agree.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23985540

Contessa likes this.
  14. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Physical dependence is a scientific phenomenon, it's not just whatever you or I want to define it as, lol. "addiction" as the result of stimulating reward pathways is psychological dependence.

I find it very rich that you're resorting to name-calling, at the same time displaying the kind of ignorance that I would be disappointed to hear from a 6th grader. I've said this before here, and it's not complicated: A diet is unhealthy if it has too big an excess of calories, fat etc. (sugar and sodium are highly debatable to actually have negative effects except in sodium-responsive hypertensive patients - about 9% IRRC. Sugar being "bad" is pretty much entirely a media concoction that the 90% of the gullible public has fallen for easily, like "low-carb diets" and the sort). A food can't be unhealthy by itself unless it's downright going to lead to negative health outcomes in one serving. You can eat a McDonalds meal everyday and still have a 100% perfect diet. Likewise you can only ever eat "clean" foods and have a bad diet, depending primarily on calories, macros etc.

Btw the science on health benefits of moderate red wine intake is pretty supportive, a lot of poorly designed studies are inconclusive and poorly controlled for but I'd be happy to link you to some actual research on the topic, some of which I've published myself, rather than a "BBC News" article lol.

15. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006

I'm actually done with you "Brah." You've really gone in a whole different tangent here, just to be a TROUSERS.

Again, pedantic in your splitting hairs with regards to food addiction versus opiates. There's plenty of evidence showing very close parallels between food and drug addiction.

You win, enjoy your smug.

16. TheJediBrah

Oct 6, 2013
    Enjoy your sour grapes. I wasn't trying to be a TROUSERS. I was responding directly to your erroneous comments that were aimed directly at my posts. What do you expect me, to do? You're the one who resorted to childish name calling when all I was doing was giving a lesson on basic nutrition, rather politely too, IMO.

Moral of the story: There's nothing "unhealthy" about an occasional meal of burger and fries. Even a regular one, depending on the overall diet. So there's nothing in any literature to indicate the Skywalkers' dieting habits were anything less than nutritionally perfect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.