main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fantasy Flight Games and the Star Wars TCG

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Anything's better than the UK's House of Lords :p

MercenaryAce and darthscott3457 like this.
  2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Yeah that Lords Spiritual nonsense so needs to stop.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, more specifically the nonsense about having the members of the upper house being appointed by the prime minister. What's the point of a revising chamber of the government selects its own overseers?

At least there are 89 elected members of the House of Lords. They're the only ones worth any time.

4. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    can anyone post some scans what the edge of the empire book had on swoop Bikes or Swoop Gangs?

5. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No, we will not post scans here. You can ask someone for a summary though.

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

The US Supreme Court says hello :p . The House of Lords at least as that whole party split they have had for ages, which essentially balances it out, as well as that it really just has very, very little real power.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    The Supreme Court is not a legislature. You may have guessed from its name. Further, even its appointments are subject to advice and consent. The President cannot pack the judiciary willy nilly. At any rate, a court of last resort is not the same thing as a house of the legislature nor is its role oversight: it adjudicates cases and controversies and is forbidden from doing anything else.

A better comparison, though still very faulty, would've been to the French Conseil d'Etat, which -- although also the highest administrative court -- also functions in an advisory capacity and can review legislation before it is passed. This is still different from a revising chamber which actually functions as part of the legislature, though. Moreover, the French still exercise balances regarding executive influence over the council.

Blair was upset that the upper house didn't like him so he decided to stack the deck in his favor. Now the place is overflowing with mediocrities and yes-men. It's shameful.

The elected peers should drive these guys out. They have more legitimacy anyway.

Misa ab iPhono meo est.

8. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I just noticed that the main image for the opening of Chapter II "The Corellian Sector" shows what appears to be a Duros space station. Note I say "appears", as the guide unfortunately lacks descriptions next to the images in one of it's few draw backs. Anyways, the orbital station is orbiting a sickly yellow-brown world (presumably Duro). The reason I think it is a Duros station is the fact that the upper portion looks darned near identical to a Trade Federation Core Ship. Given the relation between the Duros and their Neimoidian cousins, I think the connection was intention. The station is regardless rather cool, containing around a dozen clear domes that appear to house cities and various green spaces.

I also noticed an entry in the "Other Corellian Sector Systems" about the planet Dorsis. Colonized by a Coruscanti sleeper ship, it is referred to as "Mini-Coruscant" due to it's heavily urbanized nature and massive skyscrapers. One difference is that it still has oceans, upon which float man-made habitats owned by the rich and powerful. The world is essentially a manufacturing powerhouse that focuses on low cost goods for the lower income families of the sector. I get an image of the world containing the headquarters of the GFFA's versions of Wal-Mart.

--Adm. Nick

9. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's also the spherical Core-ship looking things on the Balance Point cover lending credence to that being a Duros station design, although given what the heck else was going on with that cover, who knows...

Also, space Wal-Mart sounds absolutely horrifying.

10. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    I just noticed that the main image for the opening of Chapter II "The Corellian Sector" shows what appears to be a Duros space station. Note I say "appears", as the guide unfortunately lacks descriptions next to the images in one of it's few draw backs. Anyways, the orbital station is orbiting a sickly yellow-brown world (presumably Duro). The reason I think it is a Duros station is the fact that the upper portion looks darned near identical to a Trade Federation Core Ship. Given the relation between the Duros and their Neimoidian cousins, I think the connection was intention. The station is regardless rather cool, containing around a dozen clear domes that appear to house cities and various green spaces.

Couldn't it be Jivv Space City or Jyvus Space City, orbiting Duro?

11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Ok then. Still wouldn't mind seeing more.

Ah, ok then. Thanks for the info.

Would have been interesting to have a bit more detail - sometimes I don't think people appreciate how different democracies can be from one another, so it is nice to see it here in any case.

(Which reminds me - apparently when the US government sets up democracies in other countries, they never include the electoral college. Yet no one talks seriously about getting rid of it in the States.)

But it has Lords in the name! You love lords!

12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    It's interesting that Corellian Sector gets a Grand Moff, but I'm guessing the justification is the 'consolidation' of the Duro Sector into the Corellian Sector.

Edit: Just noticed that the illustration of Duro actually shows the orbital cities....

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, actual lords. But ever since Tony Blair's constitutional sabotage in 1999, most of them aren't. The vast majority of them are fake lords. There are 645 life peers -- that is, people who are appointed by the prime minister -- who are barons for their lifetime. They're ex-politicians and rich financiers who donate money to the party and get a cushy job as a result, who can be counted on to be reliably partisan and terrible.

26 of them are Lords Spiritual -- members of the Church of England. And the remaining 92 are hereditary peers, true historic peers of the realm and the only actual lords in my book. 90 of them are elected to office, a certain number elected by their fellow hereditary peers of the same party and a certain number elected by the whole house. Two of them hold a seat by virtue of their office: the Earl Marshal and the Lord Great Chamberlain -- although it's worth noting that these are both hereditary offices, so the Duke of Norfolk (since the 11th century) and the Marquess of Chemodley (can never spell it right, blah) hold those offices always: they get the only purely hereditary transfer, as the other 90 are elected from amongst the pool of eligible hereditary peers of the correct party.

So in an ironic twist, the only elected members of the House of Lords are the hereditary peers. :)

MercenaryAce likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Any interesting information on Corellian fashion or any good images that illustrate it? Or are they just using the spacer-look?

15. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    .........And I thought the American government was complicated.

I don't even know what to call this, and it is only one branch of parliament. Much less the whole government.

Pretty interesting though...kind of makes me want to have a story where the ruler is elected by the populace, but the candidates have to be from the royal family (or maybe multiple families.)

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, it was a lot simpler before 1999 -- you had 26 Lords Spiritual, 7 law lords (they were the court of last resort in the UK, but did not vote on political matters), and the rest were hereditary peers. They weren't elected and had no financial stake in things since they were nobles rather than rich people, so they could be counted on to vote in the interests of the country (most of the lords weren't actually rich; being a member of parliament was basically their career and what they were raised from birth to do).

But it turns out that most hereditary peers were Conservatives, and Blair was unhappy with that because they kept rejecting sweeping Labour bills, so he had them all fired. There's a great BBC documentary about this that someone did around that time -- thankfully it's on youtube.

Ah, now we can bring it back to SW! I think what you describe is basically how Naboo works, no? Plagueis described various royal families and the monarch could be elected from any one of these.

darthscott3457 likes this.
  17. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    GrandAdmiralJello: Is that the case? I could have sworn that Padme's family were upper middle class farmers before she was elected.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They were -- but I remember it saying something about the Naberries being one of the royal families? It's not uncommon for someone of illustrious bloodline to be of declining means. Some of the most august Roman patricians grew up in poverty because the money had gone away. Modern nobility has that problem too.

19. MercenaryAce

Aug 10, 2005
    Double checking - and you are correct.

I mean, the impoverished patrician is a classic trope (especially when it leads to marriage with a rich commoner), so I am not sure why I did not consider that possibility.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or maybe being part of the royal families don't mean much on Naboo?

21. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Y'know what, England? You don't have the Electoral College. So, you win.

Gorefiend likes this.
  22. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    On first read I thought it was pretty darn good. Lots of good stuff, the mention of the Prince-Admiral Solo, the vast shipyards of Corellia and Selonia, the Corellian influence over the other planets in the sector, the independent spirit of Corellia, and in general some nice history stuff about all the planets of the sector.

I wish there was more capital ship stuff in there and maybe the inclusion of some Duro military designs, though I quite liked that pocket patrol boat that was a fighter built around a heavy laser cannon and the Corellian Naval Cutlass.

I was thinking the Corellain Sector was much larger than just 30 systems, I wonder how many Corellian holdings are outside of the sector. Nice to see it had two city planets though and one being full of engineers and scientists:). Another nice addition with the monarchy of Xyquine II, it would have been great if they mentioned more about the Corellian monarchy and nobility though. Seems like corporations run the show for the most part on a lot of these worlds.

Other than wanting some higher population numbers and more monarchies/aristocracies ;) it was great.

Outside of the general illustrations, in the Armor section they have an illustration of a Nomad Greencoat, which is cold weather wear for Corellian military that was adopted from the people of the Nomad mountains.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Not in name maybe, but case law certainly makes it one in fact, unlike for example many of the continental european High Courts.

Same goes for the House of Lords :) the Prime Minster recommends them to the Queen and the House of Lords Appointments Commission, who both have rejected numerous candidates.

It always has been ;) Hell from what I recall back in the days when most were hereditary they often had an attendance of worse then 30% because the Peers "had better things to do" and were often heavily biased on certain subjects which intersected with their personal interests, despite, as you said, the fact that they should not really have any. ;)

Pretty sure it will happen anyway in a few years.

Properly not government ones, though I imaging tons of enclaves and corporate assets.

24. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Sounds plausible enough. I was trying to find it yesterday when thinking on the subject, and my memory finally kicked knowing there was Imperial Mission was there, the Corellian colony of Socorro. Don't know if it has any formal connection with Corellia or its corporations though.

25. blackmyron

Oct 29, 2005
    Another interesting tidbit - a legend among the Dralls that the "Architects" essentially made them into a sentient species.
    Don't forget that there was an entire "Corellian Region" during the Alsakan Conflicts where they still probably have a great deal of influence.