main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    The way I see, if you love Star Wars, then you're already a fan. Doesn't matter if you don't even know what the Expanded Universe even is or haven't watched the CGI series.

2. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, for me (and probably a LOT of other fans) I went on with my life, and did other things. Between the OT and the prequel announcements, I pursued my other interests, bought the VHS tapes and saw the SE's in the theatres, or caught the films on the inevitable TV presentations. TPM left me initially confused and a little disappointed (I only saw it once in the theaters during it's first run) and it wasn't until E-2 (OMG! Luke's Dad was HOT!!111!!) and my fan activity/passion for all things (but for a majority of the Post Jedi books - but I ended up creating my own universe) reignited to the point where I joined the boards not long after.
    During the post E3 time and until the announcement of the sale of Lucasfilm and subsequent announcement of the ST, I got involved with a man who's son was at the right age to be introduced to Star Wars (and who became the beneficiary of a mass thinning down of stuff, but for the more personally precious SW things) and we bonded over our shared love of the franchise. One of my happiest days was being able to take him to see TPM at the 3D showing, as SW is MENT to be seen on the big screen.

In the end, just because my fandom isn't always at the fore-front of my life, doesn't make me, or a dislike of where other people took the story, and could happily live without it (or any other person in a similar boat) any less of a fan.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    That wasn't my primary point :p If some of the EU is gone then the whole can go too. You can't pick and choose.

If you want to fixate on my aside that I didn't personally see how you could be a Star Wars fan without imbibing in at least some of the Expanded universe at some point, fine, but that's not my main point :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fastback likes this.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I know I already chosen an idea, but keeping all the kids and their names would be okay in my book — just as long as they make them around the same age; Chance included.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  5. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    "I don't even like redheads" - Luke Skywalker, Shadows of Mindor.

;)

JediGirl_Angelina and Yanksfan like this.
  6. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    It's treason, then.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013

[​IMG]
    :p

Trebor Sabreon and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'd be perfectly fine with it all being tossed. I like some of it but from this point on we're most likely getting the EU on film and television and that's extremely exciting for me. So, for example, if they decided to make a film or trilogy chronicling Darth Bane and the New Sith Wars which is a part of the EU I very much love then I'd be fine with them discarding Drew Karpyshyn story and coming up with their own. I can always go read the books again if I dislike what the movies do. I can completely ignore the films if I so choose and still consider the novels the real backstory. Just because someone says they're not canon doesn't mean they won't still be important to me if I want them to be.

Dra--- and InterestingLurker like this.
  9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    But they will never be referenced, never be continued, never be finished.

What happens to Cade Skywalker? To Abeloth? To Set Harth? To the Tho Yor? To Ania Solo? To Galfridian? To Starkiller? To Allana Solo? Etc etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odolwa likes this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    There's a simple solution to all of this: write fanfiction.

11. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    What made R2 exceptional? Where did 3PO originally come from? What about Mala, and Lumpy? What of Yoda's history? Greedo's story (which was actually address in a Hyperspace comic, and was pretty cool) Obi-Wan's family? That's the wonderful thing about these characters - you can always make your own and we really don't need every detail spoon fed to us...

HanSolo29 , Darth_Pevra, EHT and 2 others like this.
  12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, Cade Skywalker, Allana Solo, and Ania Solo can all become grandkids of the big three, or younger kids to be saved for the next trilogy, or desendants for future trilogies...

Starkiller is a Lucas name, it won't be long till it reappears... the rest could also reappear in later stories adapted in, who knows.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Much better hobby than consuming all the time. Consuming games, movies, comics... Make your own.

TKT likes this.
  14. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Well, I read EU-novels, but first and foremost I'm a movies-fan and home video, as Mystery Roach pointed out, was the primary way for me of maintaining my interest. I read the Marvel comics as a kid, but even then I didn't consider them to be 'really' Star Wars. I haven't read most of the EU and it took some time after I read the Thrawn-trilogy in the early nineties to get into the EU (which has become more and more bloated). I nearly quit the EU on more than one occasion (the NJO and LOTF) and I'm not sorry to see the EU go the way of non-canon.

15. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    To my fellow EU fans
    We will disperse into the galaxy in small numbers, masking ourselves, hiding amidst the enemy. We will infiltrate governments on every planet. All must be brought down for something new to be created. Together or alone, we will slip onto worlds and strike from the shadows. We will be invisible. We will be patient. All that exists will be torn apart from within. The vision of a galaxy remade will be realized. The EU lives in us. The EU will prevail.

16. GUNGI

GUNGI Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2013
    This is really a difficult question to answer. For me it has to be the Thrawn trilogy, hands down. I also think that there are many characters that should stay. Jaina, Jacen, Lowbacca, there are too many to name.

Personally I hated the Vong terrible story in my opinion. The one thing I loved about that was The Ganner bit. That's all everything else for me was a crapshoot, in that series. If you like the Vong, take this for what it is an opinion.

17. Kingsdaughter613

Kingsdaughter613 Jedi Knight

Feb 26, 2013
    The New Jedi Order. Not the series, but the order itself. It's the characters that I care about, not the greater Galactic scheme.

Teaviex Cue likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The prophets of the dark side. Actually, no not that. They're not even canon anymore.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Home video-ish fan mostly here too for the Dark Times 83-99 post ROTJ release period but I have a metric ton of Expanded Universe books, games, and comics that I bought in the 90s (Bantam for life!) and, honestly, if they're stricken from canon it doesn't affect me. I want the best movie possible not a movie that goes through a box and ticks off matching up continuity with the novels. They're great reads, fun stories, were a continuation of the character's lives at the time but something being proclaimed "canon" or not shouldn't have an effect upon if you read them and enjoyed them. If there is a small, small part of me that kinda cares about "Heir to the Empire" being used as unbreakable canon backstory to the novels, there is a much bigger part of me that likes the idea that if that story is stricken from canon, at least everything in the NJO and onward of the post ROTJ Bunk that Del Rey put out is gone too.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    No doubt. I know folks that consider themselves to be huge Star Wars fans who only know the movies and maybe TCW series. I am pretty sure that there is not anyone who gets to say that they aren't fans.

Darth Chiznuk , EHT and Mystery Roach like this.
  21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Unfortunately. :rolleyes:
    Agreed, though I will say it was a well executed bad idea. I enjoyed the show for the most part despite this huge jumping of the shark moment.

22. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I wasn't on board when I first learned about it either, but they really did a great job of executing the arc. Especially with Maul being driven absolutely insane over it. I really ended up enjoying it. I REALLY enjoy the part where we last see Maul ( no spoilers).

23. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I still wish they hadn't done it, but I agree that it was probably as well executed as possible with that plotline. I enjoyed it despite my distaste for the idea.

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Loved the Clone Wars. Pretty much what I wanted the PT to be.

The great thing about narrative, especially fantasy narrative, is that it doesn't need to obey realist rules. If you have a great villain that was underutilized, you can bring them back. The way the SW universe is built makes almost any sort of return plausible.

25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Not to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.