main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    [​IMG]

Perhaps a bit of an obscure thing to mention...but my pick for favorite sound effect from the entire series would have to go Sidious' two lightsabers in his duel with Maul & Savage. Sort of a fusion of the sounds of a surging arc welder coupled with a seething dragon.

2. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    One of my favorite sound effects has got to be the hum of the Darksaber. I just love how unique it sounds compared to other lightsabers and that it makes a kind of "twanging" sound when clashing with another lightsaber.

3. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
    I love the sound of savage's lightsaber turning on when dooku first starts teaching him how to fight...it has that awesome growl and thunder aspect to it.

Contessa and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  4. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder what's with Father's and Talzin's voices.

pronker likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I like Palpatine, but I was actually a little disappointed that he used two sabers. I know he had two sabers, but I wish he fought with only one as in ROTS.

Two reasons: The idea that two is better than one has been overdone in Star Wars. Ahsoka has two sabers; in AOTC, Obi-Wan throws his saber to Anakin; in his fight with Savage and Maul, Obi-Wan takes up Adi's saber.

The second reason, which to me is actually more important, is that IMO it just looks more badass, like seeing Dooku take on both Obi-Wan and Anakin in ROTS with a single bladed saber, or Palpatine fighting (albeit briefly) with Mace and Kit with a single saber. Having a single blade to parry two opponents looks more refined, skillful and elegant than people twirling saber staffs or two blades.

I always was said to see the unfinished animation of Savage and Maul for a time overpowering Sidious. I'm all for Sidious, Mace and Yoda being the most powerful Force users, but I actually like to see them brought off some impossibly high pedestal compared to everyone else. Would have loved to have that scene in the finished episode.

6. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    I've been thinking a bit about the connection between clone officer armor customization and that of Mandalorians. As in Republic Commando, many clones wear armor with modifications resembling that of Mandalorians.

For example, both Captain Rex and Commander Wolffe have rangefinders on their helmets, much like Boba Fett, Jango Fett, and Bo-Katan. Other clones possess what appear to be comm antennae on their helmets, much like some of the Death Watch soldiers in this picture.

Perhaps the biggest Mandalorian reference is actually on Rex's helmet; the markings known as Jaig Eyes. Fenn Shysa's helmet had these markings, and they originated from markings on the prototype helmet of Boba Fett.

[​IMG]
    A rangefinder and Jaig eyes on the helmet. Rex must really have been influenced heavily by training with the Cuy'val Dar!

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't see how rangefinders or comm antennae are Mandalorian, they're just pieces of technology.

Not to mention that I don't believe TCW views Jango or Boba as Mandalorian.

Is there any evidence of "Cuy'val Dar" in TCW? I see trainers on Kamino in Clone Cadets, but I don't remember anything that suggests they were "Cuy'val Dar". Do any of the TCW clones speak Mando? Do any of them show any concern or even interest in Mandos? Did they have any presence in any of the Mando episodes?

I don't see a clone-Mando connection in TCW, it's conspicuously absent when compared to work by Karen Traviss, intentionally so.

8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    According to the official Star Wars Fact File, Rex was one of the participants of ARC trooper Alpha's ARC officer training program, just like Cody, Bly, and Gree. During the program, Rex trained under Mandalorian Cuy'val Dar sergeants, per the Clone Wars: New Battlefronts Visual Guide by Jason Fry, which states they awarded him the right to wear jaig eyes for distinguished valor.

The design of the rangefinders, like many aspects of the clones' armor, were based on Mandalorian armor and adapted for their use by Jango Fett. Their kamas come from Mandalorian influence, as well. As a minor note, Commander Ponds has some familiarity with Mando'a, as heard in the Republic Heroes tie-in game.

It's not really a matter of differences between creative influences, though. TCW focuses, almost exclusively, on standard infantry troopers, whose canonical exposure to Mandalorian cultural and language influences were vastly less than the commandos that are the focus of Traviss' Republic Commando series. In both the TCW movie novelization and No Prisoners, Traviss' two contributions specifically to the show's related canon, Rex's jaig eyes are the only tenable Mandalorian influence present, and even then they're not even notable or really referenced at all.

9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    As heard in Republic Heroes? How so?

10. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    During a scene late in the game, after taking down a Vulture droid, Rex, Cody, and Ponds all cheer. There's a "hurrah," a USMC-style "oorah," and Ponds chips in with a Mandalorian "oya."

11. Circular Logic

Mar 3, 2013
    Thanks. I already knew about the Alpha-Rex connection, but I wasn't aware that the Cuy'val Dar awarded him the right to wear the jaig eyes. Also, interesting info on Ponds.

CT-867-5309

I never meant to imply that clone trooper mods like the rangefinders and antennae were distinctly meant to be lifted off from the Mandalorians. However, as Mia so helpfully pointed out, the designs are based on the Mandalorian armor worn by Jango Fett, so I figured it wouldn't be a stretch to bring up the comparison. It's true that the show never played up any similarities between clones and Mandalorians, keeping any similarities that did exist very subtle, with the most noticeable being Rex's jaig eyes, which were ultimately the emphasis of my post on the similarities. Ultimately, since the show didn't really touch up on the Republic Commandos outside of a cameo in Witches of the Mist and Gregor in Missing in Action, there wouldn't be any realistic scenario to have any clone speaking Mando'a. And I imagine that the Commandos only know some words, as well as the lyrics of modified Mandalorian songs taught to them by Jango like Vode An, Ka'rta Tor, Dha Werda Verda, and Gra'tua Cuun.

12. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    That game...lol I go back and forth on liking it or not. I mean, storywise, it was up there wth Season 1 and 2's good episodes. It felt straight out of the show. But gameplay was really basic and just meh. Hearing Ponds give a little oya there had me smiling, though. That was cool.

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Really? I never noticed. Now I'll have to go prowl the later levels for this.

Contessa likes this.
  14. MasterSanders

MasterSanders Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2014
    The Army uses 'Hoo-Ah'
    The Marines uses 'Oo-rah'
    The Air Force uses 'Hua'
    The Navy uses 'Hoo-Yah'

So really it's like a mixture of the Army and Marine yells...
    Of course you could always throw in an old english yell Huzzah which is always fun... lol

Barriss_Coffee and Revanfan1 like this.
  15. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Kinda out of place though. It paints her as this seductive murderer/assassin, when her actually personality is just straight up brute.

16. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Ventress is flat out stated to be an assassin several times, and it's pretty much always been her thing. It's her role, really. She's not Dooku's apprentice, not really, she's his assassin.

Her actions in Cloak of Darkness are that of an assassin/saboteur, she makes heavy use of misdirection to free Nute. Ditto The Hidden Enemy, really, she seduced Slick into betraying his brothers. In Nightsisters she goes on a literal assassination mission, sneaking up on Dooku in his pajamas with some Nightsister cloaking magic and even uses poison.

Even her mission in ARC Troopers isn't one of brute force, but one of theft, she's there to steal Jango's DNA or whatever. More misdirection.

In Revenge, she sabotaged Maul and Savage's plans for Kenobi, using more misdirection.

Even in final arc of S5, she's on Coruscant incognito, wearing a mask.

17. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Plus, double post I know, surely you aren't unaware of all the flirting with Kenobi?

He just doesn't bite.

Much.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I wasn't a fan of the mock-flirting between Ventress and Obi-Wan, but at least then it was just words. I didn't care for that "kiss of death" scene either, it made Ventress look a little too creepy to me. Good call to edit that out IMO.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The Ventress/Obi-Wan flirting was one of my favorite aspects of the show.

It's too bad Obi-Wan never offered to leave the Order for Ventress if she said the word.

Ventress wouldn't have cried when the Pyke and Black Sun clans showed up either. She would have kissed Maul on the cheek and then impaled him.

(Sorry Togruta, I respect the hell out of you and don't disagree with you on much...)

20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Yeah, I love it when Ventress makes me shudder, but I can totally understand that it's not everyone's nipple pinch. Or cup of tea. Or whatever it is you normal people like.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There was just something about that scene. Like that clone died happy.

22. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    lol Well, at least I wasn't oh helled.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    My line just became a verb.

I am flattered. :D

24. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I like to think something happened between Obi Wan and Ventress in the escape pod after "Revenge." Who knows how much time passed before they were picked up? They had to have gotten busy.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Maybe that's where Obi-Wan's daughter came from. If Humans and Dathomirians even work that way. Which they might, since Dathomirians are already part-human IIRC.