main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Were Classes a Mistake?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Protectorate, Jan 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Nope he came from the X-Wing game.

Edit:

I would like to see the universe in which all the Star Wars video games didn't have their protagonists actually serve as the heroes, but just watch Luke Skywalker swoop in and save the day instead though.

Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  2. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Technically speaking, according to the X-Wing Official Guide that's exactly what happens in the Death Star missions (that you switch from playing Farlander to playing Skywalker for just those missions).

Dawud786 likes this.
  3. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    No I mean even in stories that aren't the films. No one is allowed to be the hero but Luke.

RC-1991 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i never said that, i just don't like force users from video games that are over powered getting to much credit and power. video agmes characters should be infinities. You can't quantify their abilities because the player decides that in the game

5. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    A better solution would probably be to give video games the Shadows of Mindor treatment.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    All EU has the Shadows of Mindor treatment. That's the whole premise of the foggy window metaphor.

But I don't see why it matters how much "credit" video game characters get for being heroes of their own stories.

Ulicus likes this.
  7. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Jerec having "powers that rival Vader's" doesn't necessarily mean he's nearly as powerful as Vader. Even if that is what the line was meant to imply....

I prefer to take it very, very literally. He has some powers on par with Vader.

Most of his powers are not. :p

But of course that's how I'd choose to interpret things. [face_mischief]

As for Kyle's prowess in relation to Luke's, I think it helps that he was already the DOOM protagonist plugged into the galaxy far, far away before he realised he had access to the Force.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I'm well aware of your logical contortions. [face_mischief]

The NEGC plays on it by suggesting Jerec is next in line to be the Sith apprentice after Vader. But regardless of the gulf in ability, Kyle faces Jerec after he had already tapped into the Power of the Valley of the Jedi.

Evidently Kyle can just cast a first level spell to prevent Jerec from being able to use this galaxy shattering power, thus pretty well mitigating its threat.

I think the fact that Kyle punches kell dragons to death and takes out the 501st on the Executor is all foggy windowed -- gameplay wise, Luke would presumably punch the rancor to death. Kyle wasn't a one man army so much as he was Solid Snake -- he'd sneak around or defeat the kell dragons unarmed through guile.

9. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Either way, he's a highly trained merc. with great talent for combat long before he comes into Force powers. Whereas Luke is a kid farmboy whose first instinct when handed a deadly weapon is to do this:

[​IMG]

10. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I suppose I need to finish reading the novellas since the duels are not translated to the audio drama.

But Kyle is supposed to be a Jedi Master, or near it, in MOTS, which is going on at the same time as Dark Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.